Region 7 4A versus Region 8 4A

therealgame

I have not seen either team play but former coach friends of mine who have seen both, think that Melrose should win. They say that the Melrose defense against the run is superior to the east defense against the pass. No one up here in Henry County thinks that it will be a cakewalk. They have seen Melrose and Fairley every year and East a few years ago.

That is the way I interpret the situation, and that WON'T happen!

Red Warrior

It will come down to the defenses. Your comment above maybe true, but East's passing game is probably better than Melrose's running game. Not sure, we will see. The X-factor is special teams. It could come down to this phase of the game.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Warrior

It will come down to the defenses. Your comment above maybe true, but East's passing game is probably better than Melrose's running game. Not sure, we will see. The X-factor is special teams. It could come down to this phase of the game.

Well ... Melrose has a game against a weak Fayette Ware team this week to get newly aquired Eric Watson intergrated into their offense before they play East. That gives Melrose essentially two weeks to work him into the rotation ... and he already played against Fairley last week. I think that may boost their running game just a tad and provide another X-factor for the East/Melrose game.

Well ... Melrose has a game against a weak Fayette Ware team this week to get newly aquired Eric Watson intergrated into their offense before they play East. That gives Melrose essentially two weeks to work him into the rotation ... and he already played against Fairley last week. I think that may boost their running game just a tad and provide another X-factor for the East/Melrose game.

Hey, now it's getting exciting. I can't wait for week 10 and beyond. Playoff time is here!!

I agree. Unless somebody pulls out some weopons that we didn't know about. Warrior do you think rest will help our starters or not make a difference.

I look at it two ways. The rest is bound to help from the perspective of less wear and tear on the bodies the Henry County starters. After game ten, they will probably have played about the equivalent of six full games. On the other hand, they will not be "close game" tested. How will they react to a close game? They haven't had one, and probably won't until the season is on the line. Overall, I think it is more positive than negative.

Red Warrior

I have heard nothing about the East special teams. I have heard that the Melrose special teams are not strong. How about East?

There is no need for a reliable source. Henry County has beaten them each of the last two years. Melrose can also defeat Henry County. They did it three years ago.

Red Warrior, here is the response I gave regarding Henry County vs Melrose...It was buried over inside another related thread:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Region 8's top-3 teams are much, much stronger this year.

If Henry County can get by Melrose and/or Fairley and/or East, then I would be willing to bet that HC will end up in the 4A State Championship game! As a matter of fact, I'd even bet that they'd win the whole darn thing (no disrespect to Hillsboro, Maplewood or Maryville).

Here's why I'm convinced of this scenario:

1) MUS is extremely good. Undefeated. No fluke... I suspect they'll play for the D-II Championship.

2) Whitehaven is extremely good. Undefeated. No fluke...They've got the goods to play for the 5A Championship.

3) Fairley is very good. 2 losses: Narrow loss to #2 above. Narrow loss to #5 below.

4) Melrose is very good. 3 losses: 1-pt losses to #1 & #3 above. 7-pt loss to #2.

5) East - I'm starting to suspect they're pretty good also (despite bad loss to White Station). Quality win over #3. Plays Melrose in 2 wks.

When one looks at the sheer strength of MUS and Whitehaven, and how Region 8's top teams fared vs them, it's probably realistic to surmise that Henry County SHOULD have a difficult time (10 pts or less) defeating Fairley, Melrose and/or East.

Therefore, should HC defeat all its Region 8 foes, then HC will have accomplished an extremely difficult task. They will have solidily validated their team strength, IMO, as a Bona Fide 4A State Championship threat. It would take an awfully, awfully special team to defeat HC.

Under the above scenario, I just don't see Henry County losing to Maplewood, Hillsboro or....Yes, even the mighty Maryville! Sure, Maryville has a special program (no rational person could argue, otherwise). I just don't think that they would be awfully special-enough, this year, to overcome Henry County's inherent strength.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prediction: Should HC defeat both of its (round 2 & 3 only) Region 8's opponents by 17 pts or more, then book it....Henry Conty will win the 4A State Championship!

according to a very reliable source in the coaching world, HC can beat Melrose if and when they meet.

Chaos001, I made this statement about HC, on another thread:

If HC can defeat Fairley and/or Melrose and/or East by 17 pts, then Henry County would go on to win the 4A State Championship!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Warrior replied back that .....his "contacts in the Memphis are say that NOBODY will beat Melrose by 17 points."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

........................... Well, here is what I had to say about that....

I'm inclined to agree with your contact on this one, Red Warrior.

This is why it would absolutely SHOCK me to see Henry County beat Melrose (assuming they meet) by 17pts or more! If HC is good enough to pull off that feat, however, then I'll tip my hat to them. That would qualify them as a Super Special team, in my book!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some additional information:

1) Melrose has a very accurate, strong-armed, experienced (SR - 3 year starter), prolific QB in Tremarcus Toney. No team has been able to shut him down this year, nobody.

2) Their receivers are very sure-handed -- they do not drop many passes.

3) Toney has around 16 TD's to only 2 or 3 interceptions. I think he also leads the Memphis area in passing yards. Plus, he makes great decisions (unlike last year).

4) Melrose is a very pass happy team, everybody knows this. Yet, no team has shut down Melrose's passing game.

5) With Toney leading the way, Melrose is always only one quick-strike away from a TD.... This is a huge reason that they have not gotten blown out, in any of their 3 losses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Again I say -- if HC can do what no other team has been able to do -- blowout Melrose, then I don't forsee ANYBODY beating HC! Nobody.

I'm extremely confident in that statement.

according to a very reliable source in the coaching world, HC can beat Melrose if and when they meet.

Chaos001,

I have no doubt that HC could beat Melrose. I also believe that Melrose could defeat HC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Does your reilable coaching source NOT think that Melrose can not beat HC?

2) If not, why not?

If Henry County meets Melrose, and thats a big IF, we dont need to blow them out. We will just need to beat them. Why the "blow out" talk? Last year it was a point and two years ago a TD. Either is plenty. Let me tell you the following about Henry County, in your own style.

1) Henry County has a superior offensive line over last year

2) Henry County has THREE runners who are, or will be, division 1 prospects

3) Henry County has as good or better receivers than last year

4) Teague has thrown for 10 or 11 TDs with NO ints

5) The Henry County defensive line is bigger AND better than last year

6) The Henry County secondary is the best I can EVER remember

7) The Henry County linebackers are as good as last year

8) The Henry County kicking game is BETTER than last year

9) The Henry County offense is faster than it was last year

10) The Henry County defense is more athletic and MUCH faster than last year

In conclusion, we have a better team than last year in ALL catagories. I understand region 8 is better than it was last year too. Something must give. I cant wait!

RealGame,

Thanks for starting this thread.

I must admit, you've made a very convincing case for Henry County.

------------------------------------------------------

Now, here is why I think that HC needs to defeat Melrose (and/or Fairley, and/or East) by at least 17pts:

Basically, RealGame, some HC fans have been commenting and making reference to HC's dominance... statements have been either made and/or suggested that HC is unbeatable, untouchable, etc.....

Well, my statement about a minimum "17pt" HC victory is more a general response to those overly-exhuberant Henry County fans, who have kinda' put the cart before the horse, so to speak:

If HC is as dominant as folks seem to think (and to me, dominance suggests unstoppable -- that suggests Champion...) then they NEED to dominate Region 8's top 3 teams! Otherwise, IMO, HC is just another undefeated team that has not really faced any real stiff competition.

A 17 pt victory over the top-3 Region 8 squads would more than validate HC's true dominance, in my humble opinion.

So, at the end of the day, RealGame -- I actually agree with you: a win is a win... is a win...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still standby my earlier statement, however:

If Henry County can blow out Melrose (in particular) by 17pts or more, then HC WILL win the 4A State Championship! No disrespect to Hillsboro, Maplewood or Maryville.

Not so fast my friends. It is not a guarantee that Melrose will beat East. Remember, East beat Fairley. East scored 30 by half time and should have scored two other times but had 2 unforced turnovers (QB - RB exchange). They handled Kingsbury with relative ease, Fairley struggled. Raleigh Egypt was close, but two of their best linemen were out (1 played a half) and Coach Wimberly was experimenting with his offense, albeit almost cost them. White Station was a let down game that I think the kids learned a lot from. No excuses, just saying that you should wait and see what happens on the 31st. I wouldn't just give it to Melrose just yet. Maybe I am a homer. Only time will tell.

Region 8 is very strong this year. HC will have a tough time getting past the top 3. All three tout good QB's and skill guys. HC may have to play 2 out of those three. Anything can happen, but I can assure you it will not be a cake walk through any of these 3 teams. I can't wait!!

EastMustang,

1) Do you think that East will FINALLY deafeat Melrose, for the first time in.....what, 7 or 8 years?

2) If so, why?

3) What are your thoughts about how East will fare against the Region 7 opponents?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Lastly, what do you think are the keys to East's success this year (I've only seen East in scrimmage, briefly -- in the City Jamboree)?