Region 7 4A versus Region 8 4A

therealgame

I agree with a lot of what you say, as usual, but I have a couple of questions for you. Do you think it is ANY advantage at all, that Henry County has NOT been truly tested, and therefore, is much more rested than the Region 8 teams who have battled it all year long? The Henry County start will likely finish the regular season with the wear and tear of the equivalent of about 5 1/2 games. I know for sure that Maryville is rarely tested during the season, and it doesn't seem to have hurt them. Secondly, if it works out like you expect, and Melrose travels to Henry County, from what you have seen and learned about both teams, who would you expect to win? Thirdly, and finally, who has the more effective offense between Melrose and Fairley, and is East a notch below those two teams or capable of beating either?

In regards to health and injuries ... I think HC has a distinct advantage. This isn't HC's first rodeo either ... these players have been to the post season before and they know what it takes to get it done so I don't think there will be a dear in headlights syndrome with any of the starters. The coaches seem to keep the team focused because there doesn't seem to be a let down when playing inferior competition ... all pluses in my book. I agree with your Maryville reference except in one regard. I think it is harder to get to the championship game coming from the west side then it is comming from the east side of the state, but that's just my opinion. HC is the favorite and is expected to win ... but if EW becomes another weapon implemented into Melrose's offensive aresenal ... I'm going with Melrose. Before the addidtion of EW, I would have said that Melrose 'O' is slightly better. The addidtion of EW moves them into another category offensively. I am curious how many touches he gets in the Fayette Ware game. I have not seen East play but they have already beaten Fairley and they barely lost to Maplewood ... they are capable of beating anybody they play. I don't think their defense is as good as Fairley or Melrose ... but it's not too shabby either.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to health and injuries ... I think HC has a distinct advantage. This isn't HC's first rodeo either ... these players have been to the post season before and they know what it takes to get it done so I don't think there will be a dear in headlights syndrome with any of the starters. The coaches seem to keep the team focused because there doesn't seem to be a let down when playing inferior competition ... all pluses in my book. I agree with your Maryville reference except in one regard. I think it is harder to get to the championship game coming from the west side then it is comming from the east side of the state, but that's just my opinion. HC is the favorite and is expected to win ... but if EW becomes another weapon implemented into Melrose's offensive aresenal ... I'm going with Melrose. Before the addidtion of EW, I would have said that Melrose 'O' is slightly better. The addidtion of EW moves them into another category offensively. I am curious how many touches he gets in the Fayette Ware game. I have not seen East play but they have already beaten Fairley and they barely lost to Maplewood ... they are capable of beating anybody they play. I don't think their defense is as good as Fairley or Melrose ... but it's not too shabby either.

If EW becomes a viable player for Melrose, then I will be interested to hear from you and TraderB, how the team receives him. Is he a team player? That would seem to be a REAL question since he seems to be a free agent of sorts, as he jumps arond from team to team. When I say free agent, I mean no disrespect to the young man, I simply think of a baseball player these days, who jumps from team to team, rather than the old loyalties that existed in the 1960s among players. Do the Melrose players feel a kinship to this young man or do they feel a sense of loyalty to the starter of the last two years? Can EW be a disruptive force within the team, or will the Melrose players simply view him as a tool with which to win a title, and to heck with the real Golden Wildcat who has been there for the duration? I think these are valid concerns and questions, and I will be interested to hear your answer, and that of TraderB.

If EW becomes a viable player for Melrose, then I will be interested to hear from you and TraderB, how the team receives him. Is he a team player? That would seem to be a REAL question since he seems to be a free agent of sorts, as he jumps arond from team to team. When I say free agent, I mean no disrespect to the young man, I simply think of a baseball player these days, who jumps from team to team, rather than the old loyalties that existed in the 1960s among players. Do the Melrose players feel a kinship to this young man or do they feel a sense of loyalty to the starter of the last two years? Can EW be a disruptive force within the team, or will the Melrose players simply view him as a tool with which to win a title, and to heck with the real Golden Wildcat who has been there for the duration? I think these are valid concerns and questions, and I will be interested to hear your answer, and that of TraderB.

I think EW will be a welcomed addition to the Melrose players. His circumstances changed to where he had no power over them. His family had to suddenly move. I don't know how the Melrose players feel about him but I can't see them not welcoming him into the fold. It was reported in the Commercial Appeal that he played a down or two in the Fairley game ... so the coaches are definately working with him to get him up to speed. Everybody knows how good he is so I would think that the Melrose players would be excited that he is on their team. I think EW has the same goal as the current Melrose players ... win the Championship. He can't be nothing but a plus I would think. I think that Nash, the current Melrose RB will still play ... now they have another good RB to put into the rotation. I would suspect EW would go in when the tough yards are needed because he is a stronger RB, but not JUST in those circumstances. I also think the coaching staff is keenly aware of his bouncing around and they probably want to give him some support and some stability ... bringing him into the family so to speak. I think it's a plus all the way around ... especially for him to find a home and a sense of belonging.

I think EW will be a welcomed addition to the Melrose players. His circumstances changed to where he had no power over them. His family had to suddenly move. I don't know how the Melrose players feel about him but I can't see them not welcoming him into the fold. It was reported in the Commercial Appeal that he played a down or two in the Fairley game ... so the coaches are definately working with him to get him up to speed. Everybody knows how good he is so I would think that the Melrose players would be excited that he is on their team. I think EW has the same goal as the current Melrose players ... win the Championship. He can't be nothing but a plus I would think. I think that Nash, the current Melrose RB will still play ... now they have another good RB to put into the rotation. I would suspect EW would go in when the tough yards are needed because he is a stronger RB, but not JUST in those circumstances. I also think the coaching staff is keenly aware of his bouncing around and they probably want to give him some support and some stability ... bringing him into the family so to speak. I think it's a plus all the way around ... especially for him to find a home and a sense of belonging.

In what order would you rank the following running backs. I know their styles are different, but they all play the same position essentially. Cooper from Melrose (now at Miami), Gabriel Hunter, Nash, EW, Dominique Allen, and Guyton?

In what order would you rank the following running backs. I know their styles are different, but they all play the same position essentially. Cooper from Melrose (now at Miami), Gabriel Hunter, Nash, EW, Dominique Allen, and Guyton?

Goodness Gracious Pea Picking Molly! I have only seen clips of Hunter and Guyton. I only saw DA when they came to Memphis his soph. season and a few online clips. I saw Cooper quite a bit but I've seen Nash twice and EW twice. That being said ... based on what I saw those few times and based upon what stats I am familuar with I will rate them as follows:

RB:

Cooper

Hunter

EW

Nash

FB:

DA

Guyton

Composite Ranking:

Cooper (Best combination of Speed, Size, and Power)

Hunter (Speed and Quickness with Strength)

DA (Size with Power, Speed and Quickness)

EW (Speed with Power and Size)

Guyton (Size and Power with Speed)

Nash (Quickness and Speed with Sure Hands)

Please .... Please ... PLEASE!!!! Take those rankings with a HUGE grain of salt.

Goodness Gracious Pea Picking Molly! I have only seen clips of Hunter and Guyton. I only saw DA when they came to Memphis his soph. season and a few online clips. I saw Cooper quite a bit but I've seen Nash twice and EW twice. That being said ... based on what I saw those few times and based upon what stats I am familuar with I will rate them as follows:

RB:

Cooper

Hunter

EW

Nash

FB:

DA

Guyton

Composite Ranking:

Cooper (Best combination of Speed, Size, and Power)

Hunter (Speed and Quickness with Strength)

DA (Size with Power, Speed and Quickness)

EW (Speed with Power and Size)

Guyton (Size and Power with Speed)

Nash (Quickness and Speed with Sure Hands)

Please .... Please ... PLEASE!!!! Take those rankings with a HUGE grain of salt.

Please, Please kwc!!!! you're making me very nervous withyour Memphis info.(as if I weren't nervous enough with the playoffs at hand) It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

GO BIG RED

Please, Please kwc!!!! you're making me very nervous withyour Memphis info.(as if I weren't nervous enough with the playoffs at hand) It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

GO BIG RED

olddevil, HC has nothing to be nervous about because they are in the catbird seat. Besides ... Cooper is now at the University of Miami ... Hunter plays for Kingsbury ... HC will beat them easily ... but you will get to see a very good RB go against that vaunted HC defense. That will be a treat. The rest will take care of itself.

olddevil, HC has nothing to be nervous about because they are in the catbird seat. Besides ... Cooper is now at the University of Miami ... Hunter plays for Kingsbury ... HC will beat them easily ... but you will get to see a very good RB go against that vaunted HC defense. That will be a treat. The rest will take care of itself.

Thanks for your input on this thread. It makes for interesting and nerve racking reading. I get the feeling you think Melrose is going to win it all with the addition of the new running back. Do you have any questions about our region, or Henry County in particular? How do you expect Kingsbury to do against Munford? Where is TraderB?

Thanks for your input on this thread. It makes for interesting and nerve racking reading. I get the feeling you think Melrose is going to win it all with the addition of the new running back. Do you have any questions about our region, or Henry County in particular? How do you expect Kingsbury to do against Munford? Where is TraderB?

I'll jump in on here & give Kwc a hand, from the "M" town!

-----------------------------------------------------

I've got several questions about yall's Region, Realgame:

1) Was Brighton really just a "1-trick poney," with their QB being their only real weapon?

-- It sure looks like it.

2) Someone may have responded to these next 2 questions, concerning Liberty (the likely 2nd-place, Regon 7)...

3) What type of offense does Liberty run? What are their biggest strengths & weaknesses (you know, the 2nd-half of this question sounds like some sort of dreaded interview question, huh)? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

4) I know that HC has a great team but, specifically, what areas did HC have the most success vs Liberty....and vice versa?

1) Was Brighton really just a "1-trick poney," with their QB being their only real weapon?

2) Someone may have responded to these next 2 questions, concerning Liberty (the likely 2nd-place, Regon 7)...

3) What type of offense does Liberty run? What are their biggest strengths & weaknesses (you know, the 2nd-half of this question sounds like some sort of dreaded interview question, huh)? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

4) I know that HC has a great team but, specifically, what areas did HC have the most success vs Liberty....and vice versa?

Thanks for returning TraderB. I probably dont know as much football as you and kwc but I will give it a try. I was not impressed with Brighton beyond the first quarter. Their QB must be special because they seemed lost without him. If your region is as tough as you say then you will have no trouble with them. They are quick but small. They dont tackle all that well. I will be shocked if they beat Liberty. Liberty as best I remember runs a spread offense much like ours. They have no great players but are pretty solid across the board. They have good athletes and fair speed but nothing like Melrose. They throw the ball pretty well but nothing like Melrose and Fairley. I dont think they can beat your third place team. We did anything we wanted against Liberty. We ran primarily but threw when we wanted to. They did not even force us to punt. Liberty had no success against us until the second half. It was 35-0 at halftime and coach started subbing in the third quarter. They are better than I make them sound but they have been slow starters and we jumped on them early and it was over.

I waited several minutes for realgame to respond but he must be out to dinner.

1. It's hard to figure Brighton. They haven't lost another game but we jumped on them early and they never recovered.The replacement QB isn't bad;he has a good arm but didn't respond well to the pressire we applied. Their running game could only be rated as fair.

2'Liberty is very athletic. They run the spreadand have atall rangy QB with a great arm. their recieversare very fast and on a couple of occasions early got behind our secondaryonly to be overthrown. Their running backs are very fast and difficult to bring down .Reportedly they are getting better weekly. We ran against them at will early;they toughened as the game progressed.(They scored late against our subs.

3We jumped them early and they,also, didn't recover.They looked, however, to be a much better team than they showed. They werearguably the best team we have faced thus far.

GO BIG RED ( in case you're wondering, I am not a typist)

I've seen Melrose play 3 times this year.

Let me tell you, Realgame -- Melrose has one very nerve-racking, intriguing team!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Everytime I watch them play, I always get the feeling that they would be better off running a West-Coast style offense. As it stands, Melrose runs more of a conventional, old-school offense (not surprising, given that it's head Coach is about 80 years old. No disrespect.). They are extremely predictable -- run 1st down, deep pass on 2nd down, same snap-count, QB cadence, etc). This is a huge weakness, IMO. Yet, they have still managed to win 5 ballgames.

Credit Melrose's defense. They bend more this year but manage to keep games close enough, to win them.

I won't try to pretend that I know more than the Melrose coaching staff, but I honestly believe that Melrose would likely have only 1-loss (or perhaps, even undefeated) if they were more creative and flexible on offense!

A kicking game wouldn't hurt, either.

Melrose would be an even better team by incorporating more short, ball-control type passes into their offensive arsenal. This would help keep their defense off the field. Plus, they would benefit greatly by mixing up their offensive tempo. As it stands, Melrose's passing game consists of predominately of the 30-40 yard variety. It's sort of like feast or famine -- big play or bust. All the while, their offense chugs along at the same old pace, snap after snap after snap.

Absolutely no variety. Absolutely no creativity. Completely predictable. Absolutely too vanilla!

To make matters worse, Melrose's running game is weak (though it should improve, with the addition of playmaker -- RB Eric Watson). Shorter, higher-percentage passes would help them to offset this weakness and control the ball moreso. They would still maintain their deep threat... only now, I suggest, that it would suddenly become more effective!

Melrose is only an offensive tweak or two away from being a dominant football team. It's so painfully obvious, from my observation, that one has to wonder...