Metal Cleats

coachcap

Just noticed that the USFA is now permitting metal cleats effective 10/15. Our HS is not going to use them this year due to the injury factor, kinda makes me wonder what the appeal is? The biggest thing I've noticed, beside increased injuries, is that some use them to "cleat" the other team when sliding. So my question is what are the positives? The mud doesn't cling as much??? Maybee I'm off base here, any thoughts or perspectives out there.

I don't see a problem with the metal cleats. The guys start using them at 13 and don't look back. There's not as many injuries for them because they adapt to them earlier and they are taught proper technique in sliding and tagging. Softball pitching technique may be a different story but everything else should be basically the same between baseball and softball.

Metal cleats have better traction than rubber or molded plastic. Better in dirt, better in grass. That's why college teams use them as well as professional teams. If physiological differences between males and females are the reason for more injuries in softball, I would think that could be corrected with a better design. Getting cleated by someone sliding though is purely technique.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't see a problem with the metal cleats. The guys start using them at 13 and don't look back. There's not as many injuries for them because they adapt to them earlier and they are taught proper technique in sliding and tagging. Softball pitching technique may be a different story but everything else should be basically the same between baseball and softball.

Metal cleats have better traction than rubber or molded plastic. Better in dirt, better in grass. That's why college teams use them as well as professional teams. If physiological differences between males and females are the reason for more injuries in softball, I would think that could be corrected with a better design. Getting cleated by someone sliding though is purely technique.

I think metal cleats have NO business being involved in youth softball. For the following reasons:

1) A lot of times the girls get coaches who do not understand how to teach proper sliding and basic playing techniques that allow them to play safely in metal cleats. Dont get me wrong, some do, but too many do not unlike their male peers that play baseball. The girls often get a football coach or something else

2) Girls have a different physical makeup than boys that cause their knees and other joints to be more easily torn up with the grip of a metal cleat. ( Their hips cause their upper leg to join into their knee at an angle -for one )

Just noticed that the USFA is now permitting metal cleats effective 10/15. Our HS is not going to use them this year due to the injury factor, kinda makes me wonder what the appeal is? The biggest thing I've noticed, beside increased injuries, is that some use them to "cleat" the other team when sliding. So my question is what are the positives? The mud doesn't cling as much??? Maybee I'm off base here, any thoughts or perspectives out there.

My daughters love them, as a pitcher she get better grip with metal cleats, and most girls at this leval slide head first. When she was 14 she broke her foot sliding into 2nd base and she had on plastic cleats......the only way to stop this is to outlaw sliding lol

My daughters love them, as a pitcher she get better grip with metal cleats, and most girls at this leval slide head first. When she was 14 she broke her foot sliding into 2nd base and she had on plastic cleats......the only way to stop this is to outlaw sliding lol

Well Mr. LOL I wonder why ASA, the governing body of all softball worth playing, WILL NOT approve metal cleats for girls . Why do so many states still ban them? Why do a majority of girls parents and coaches advise their girls NOT to wear them even though they are allowed? Hmmmmmm maybe it is because they dont want to assume the liability?