Jefferson County Building Program and sports

My question is: do we need two high schools. How would this affect the sports programs. This question came about when I read we are the second largest school in Tn. Nationwide the trend is to smaller community schools. Most people knows my desire is for two high schools. The building program has been a major factor in Jefferson county for several years.

My question is: do we need two high schools. How would this affect the sports programs. This question came about when I read we are the second largest school in Tn. Nationwide the trend is to smaller community schools. Most people knows my desire is for two high schools. The building program has been a major factor in Jefferson county for several years.

Even if you had two schools there would still be around twelve hundred in each.. I'd say build one..

( I know its none of my business. I'm from Blount County and we have been struggling to build another for years...)

tpoole12

Even if you had two schools there would still be around twelve hundred in each.. I'd say build one..

( I know its none of my business. I'm from Blount County and we have been struggling to build another for years...)

tpoole12

Over 2400 students is very large. Blount county largest school is only 1700 or 1800 students? Correct me if I wrong about the numbers.

Over 2400 students is very large. Blount county largest school is only 1700 or 1800 students.

I think smaller is better.. I'm sure it is also more exspensive.. That's where the politicians and the taxpayers have to work together and make some tough decisions.. Seems like everyone wants a better school system and teachers.. But they don't want to pay for them...

tpoole12

( I know.... I'm preaching to the choir)

I think less than 1% of Jefferson County Athletes will play professional Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, Golf or any other sport, not to mention the goal of a school is to not produce good sports teams, but to produce good students and citizens. People worry entirely too much about success of High School athletics and not enough about the quality of education the students are receiving. I am a recent graduate from Jefferson County, that went 31-12 in football (72% winning percentage for 4 years) from 2001-2005, but when I walked in to my freshman English at Carson-Newman they really didn??™t care nor did any other professor. Building a second school with lower student to teach ratios, better environment (no mold, no extreme heat and cold, no overcrowded classrooms), more technology and an administration that can worry more about the students than the building, in return this would most definately produce that better student and citizen. Student-Athletes are students first and one should worry more about their academic ability than their athletic team so building another school is a must. Just for reference even with 2400 students Jeff co is not any kind of powerhouse in anything....... besides golf anyway.

I think less than 1% of Jefferson County Athletes will play professional Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, Golf or any other sport, not to mention the goal of a school is to not produce good sports teams, but to produce good students and citizens. People worry entirely too much about success of High School athletics and not enough about the quality of education the students are receiving. I am a recent graduate from Jefferson County, that went 31-12 in football (72% winning percentage for 4 years) from 2001-2005, but when I walked in to my freshman English at Carson-Newman they really didn??™t care nor did any other professor. Building a second school with lower student to teach ratios, better environment (no mold, no extreme heat and cold, no overcrowded classrooms), more technology and an administration that can worry more about the students than the building, in return this would most definately produce that better student and citizen. Student-Athletes are students first and one should worry more about their academic ability than their athletic team so building another school is a must. Just for reference even with 2400 students Jeff co is not any kind of powerhouse in anything....... besides golf anyway.

Where do we build the new high school, somewhere here in Jefferson City ? Seems like the most logical place.

Very nice and thoughtful post.