Brentwood Academy

ThtSupaStar011

Ok, Oneman.....you join the group today to get some talk time. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Oneman and Oblong....I probably didn't use the right word. I am VERY passionate about BA football. I have road tripped for years across the state and out of state to support the team without a kid there. Sometimes my passion for what I believe is not my best witness, and if I have caused you anger, I apologize. The intensity level and execution level is just not the same as years past. This also was the case in the early 2000's. There are extremely talented players on BA's team, much more than ever. I doubt if there is a more talented group of players in the state, including this years Ensworth team. They are as a team underachieving this year, and unless you have the understanding of how BA played for years with a bunch of overachievers, you have would have a hard time appreciating this. BA and high intensity have always gone hand in hand when it comes to football.

so what's the problem, the players who don't give enough effort (underachieve and lack of heart) or is it coaching? Or something else? Apparently this problem has been in place since the early 2000's per your post. What is the root cause of the underachievement experienced by this once proud program? I seriously want to know what you think.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you insinuating Coach Flatt was a "child abuser" to his players? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" The group of players you mentioned were a great group of seniors that were fun to watch. They played with intensity. They WERE challenged and DID step up.

I was calling the man that habitually insults children a child abuser.Coach Flatt is a great man I took him to B.A. so that he could be influenced by someone who share my values.

I share your pain but as a military veteran I learned to start with the man on top and then work my way down.You have chosen some very harsh words for children.I know many of them on a personal level and can say without a blink Brentwood Academy should be proud of these class acts they helped produce.If we're going to blame them then we should not complain when they whine like T.O. or yell "Just Give Me the darn Ball" like Keyshawn.Pick on Potter he's forty.

These players on a personal level are wonderful young men who are class acts. I have met and talked with many of them on a one to one basis, and I know the coaches as well. Some coaches are really good friends that I talk with quite a bit on a personal level. There is much more to life than football. The players on a personal level are not the question. It is the "knowing that you know" you WILL win. That is the mental psyche for years BA enjoyed over it's opponents. This edge is no longer there.

Oneman....if I hear you correct, you are saying it is coaching that is in question. How do you mean? Coach Potter always gave Coach Flatt fits when he was at McCallie. I was there at McCallie when he beat BA in '06. I thought he did a superb job. He also masterminded the beating of Riverdale when down by 21 points in the final two minutes when he was at McCallie. Coach Flatt had plenty of say in bringing him to BA. I trust Flatt's judgement, as he is a wise person.

Are you insinuating Coach Flatt was a "child abuser" to his players? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" The group of players you mentioned were a great group of seniors that were fun to watch. They played with intensity. They WERE challenged and DID step up.

By the way....how has this class of seniors been cheated of their opportunity to step up? Does Coach Potter not play his best players that give him the best chance of winning? I don't think Coach Potter coaches not to win. The W-L record is too important of a piece of the game at BA. Even State Champion Runner-Up trophies don't go far even if you are a wonderful person who represents the school well.....ask Coach Moore. I believe Coach Potter will continue to do well at BA, and bring home the Gold Ball(s) again to the school, but it is still a different intensity level.

The 2007 class was challenged by Coach Flatt to step up and play both ways at key times.This class was not allowed to display the heart you called into question because they have never been allowed on the field both ways together at key times.The coaches make the calls not the kids they do what they're told.If you are not in tune with the current affairs at B.A. you should not comment.Go back and read my earlier posts.Remember always start with the man on top when you have questions.That's in all walks of life.

so what's the problem, the players who don't give enough effort (underachieve and lack of heart) or is it coaching? Or something else? Apparently this problem has been in place since the early 2000's per your post. What is the root cause of the underachievement experienced by this once proud program? I seriously want to know what you think.

How long have you been around the program? Are you really familiar with the rich tradition and history that goes back to practicing in the cow pasture? Of kids playing in suspension helmets (YES, they did!), of players playing with separated shoulders with their arm taped to their body? Playing with broken noses, severe cuts, etc. The list of things of yesteryear go on and on. No one would ever sit out a game or games because they sprained their ankle.....what is a high ankle sprain??? Those have been around forever.... They were called severe ankle sprains that might put a player out of practice for a couple of days. That is a new term that has recently come out. The mental toughness to play at BA back then resonates today with outstanding young men that played for Coach Flatt. The players took their toughness from having a leader like him, as he was a "potter" of young men.

I guess even Fl State has it's day.......

The 2007 class was challenged by Coach Flatt to step up and play both ways at key times.This class was not allowed to display the heart you called into question because they have never been allowed on the field both ways together at key times.The coaches make the calls not the kids they do what they're told.If you are not in tune with the current affairs at B.A. you should not comment.Go back and read my earlier posts.Remember always start with the man on top when you have questions.That's in all walks of life.

Come on!!!! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> BA is L-O-A-D-E-D! The young men out there now also played last year! Ishmael Lewis has been a starter since he was in 8th grade! There are plenty of guys that have tons of playing experience on both sides of the ball, and this isn't their first year to start. All skill positions are returning starters from last year! The guys on the line for the most part are returning starters from last year who played both ways. That is the reason this team was ranked so high in pre season nationally. This team should be killing everyone!

Is the person you question Potter or Masters? These are both good men. Maybe I shouldn't post as I don't know much about the most current affairs at BA. They do have a great liberal arts program, and I have heard from faculty and parents that more emphasis is being put on other parts of the school.

I share your pain but as a military veteran I learned to start with the man on top and then work my way down.You have chosen some very harsh words for children.I know many of them on a personal level and can say without a blink Brentwood Academy should be proud of these class acts they helped produce.If we're going to blame them then we should not complain when they whine like T.O. or yell "Just Give Me the darn Ball" like Keyshawn.Pick on Potter he's forty.

I don't think the BA football players would like to be thought of as "children"......Young Men is a better term... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

These players on a personal level are wonderful young men who are class acts. I have met and talked with many of them on a one to one basis, and I know the coaches as well. Some coaches are really good friends that I talk with quite a bit on a personal level. There is much more to life than football. The players on a personal level are not the question. It is the "knowing that you know" you WILL win. That is the mental psyche for years BA enjoyed over it's opponents. This edge is no longer there.

Oneman....if I hear you correct, you are saying it is coaching that is in question. How do you mean? Coach Potter always gave Coach Flatt fits when he was at McCallie. I was there at McCallie when he beat BA in '06. I was thought he did a superb job. He also masterminded the beating of Riverdale when down by 21 points in the final two minutes when he was at McCallie. Coach Flatt had plenty of say in bringing him to BA. I trust Flatt's judgement, as he is a wise person.

I never insinuate anything I report the facts and let you make your own conclusions.The fact is none of the D-1 talent plays both ways often enough to mention.Who made that decision,I don't know.Since you follow things so closely tell me Where was the arguably best pass rusher in the state (mchaney) during both Ryans and Ravenwoods key passing drives.

I don't think the BA football players would like to be thought of as "children"......Young Men is a better term... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I'M SURE THEY WOULD MORE UPSET WITH YOU QUESTIONING THEIR HEARTS.Good night.

I was calling the man that habitually insults children a child abuser.Coach Flatt is a great man I took him to B.A. so that he could be influenced by someone who share my values.

I think these guys would be more insulted by you calling these young men children.....if you go out on the field after the game, they are HUGE ...... and lots of them shave! A 15-18 year old does not want as a whole to be termed "child".

I'M SURE THEY WOULD MORE UPSET WITH YOU QUESTIONING THEIR HEARTS.Good night.

Why be upset???? Just go out and win games that they should never have lost. Bring home the Gold Ball to the school....the BA trophy case has so many Silver Balls from the past 10 years they would fill most school's trophy cases for eternity. Yes...they got to the big game, but BA has never been known to want to be second best in football, or much of anything for that matter. Lay it on the line and folks don't start threads wondering what has happened to the program.

Have a great nite! It has been fun debating you! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

As I appear to be out of touch, I will defer to you as to why they are 6-4. "Almost" victories are still losses.....whether by one point or sixty points......a loss is a loss.

Oblong.....why IS BA 6-4? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Your new friend Oneman says it is coaching. Those of us interested I am sure would like your take. There IS interest in this subject, as the thread was created.