Bearden vs. DB

BigG

This a great win for DB, but I wanted to write this to recognize Bearden.

[disclosure]

In reading posts the last couple of months, Bearden fans never tooted their own horn, but they sure could have. Two consectutive AAA State championships in this era of increasing parity is a great achievement for Coach Turner and his troops.

When you read accounts of Bearden games, the players and coaches always seem to be gracious. The Bearden parents and alumni have supported that program well with the excellent field and, now, field house.

Best of luck to all Bearden seniors who were key to the two recent championships and for the excellent season this year. To all the undergraduates: we all know you'll be back next year right in the hunt for another championship.

From a tricitiessports.com article:

Lady Indians Shake Up Soccer World, Oust No. 1 Bearden

By Ron Bliss

TriCitiesSports.com

November 1, 2008

Photo Gallery

KINGSPORT -- When all-stater Tori Head banged home a goal with nine minutes left to play Saturday off a feed from Katie Clark, it was not only the biggest goal of her career but maybe the biggest in the state of Tennessee this season.

Head's goal broke a 1-1 tie and not only sent Dobyns-Bennett to its first TSSAA State Girls' soccer tournament since 1995, but also denied two-time defending state champion Knox Bearden -- which came in ranked No. 1 in the state and No. 14 in the nation -- a trip to the TSSAA state meet for the first time since the TSSAA sanctioned the sport.

It was the shot heard round the state in soccer.

"I don't think teams from other parts of the state respected us,'' said Head, a senior. "Now, maybe they will.''

The pollsters surely didn't respect the Lady Indians. They remained unranked this past week in Tennessee, despite one of the state's best records (now 20-2-3) while a team that was eliminated from the playoffs on Oct. 22 (Ravenwood) was ranked No. 10 this past week though a 9-4-6 record and having its season ended by No. 3 Franklin, 4-0.

Head booted her 25th goal of the season to win it, but was one of a number of heroes in the victory that allowed the Lady Indians to tie the school record for victories set in 1995 when D-B won the state title. That team finished 20-3-1 and finished No. 6 in the national rankings.

"It was a real team effort. It was as if we had 22 players and three coaches -- 25 people -- going at Bearden at once,'' said Calvert.

Bearden was ranked No. 14 nationally by the National Soccer Coaches Association coming in and the feeling is if D-B can beat the best, it might wind up being the best -- in Tennessee, at least.

"We have to win three more games now, to get there,'' said D-B coach Shane Calvert, who may be in line for Coach of the Year honors both regionally and statewide after what his team has accomplished.

The effort to win a state title will begin Wednesday when the Lady Indians head to Chattanooga for the quarterfinals against an opponent to be named.

"I will go down tomorrow for the meeting,'' said Calvert. "The bracket will be set there. One thing, we should be opposite the winner of the other match in our area. We shouldn't have to play the Greeneville vs. Oak Ridge winner until the finals, if we get there.''

Matches Wednesday are set for Chattanooga Baylor at 11:30 a.m., 2 p.m., 4:30 p.m., and 7 p.m.

Semifinal matches will be Thursday at 4:30 p.m., and 7 p.m., with the state championship match at 2:30 p.m., Saturday at Girls Preparatory School.

A key to Saturday's victory was getting on top early, said Calvert. Junior Kara Brockwell banged in a header in the seventh minute off a kick from the corner by Julie Gilmer.

"We really needed to score a goal like that early,'' said Brockwell, who called it her biggest goal ever.

"By us being ahead at halftime, that put pressure on them,'' said Calvert. "I told the girls that even if Bearden scored, not to panic because they would only be level with us.''

"Coach said we really needed to get it to 2-0,'' said Head, "so we were trying to get another goal.''

When Knox Bearden tied it in the 64th minute on a goal by Sam Turner off an assist from Carolina Gianeselle, D-B seemed to pick up the intensity.

Head used her speed and took a pass from Clark seven minutes later and kicked the ball into the left side of the goal for the lead the Lady Indians would not relinquish.

Lauren McInturff, the D-B goalie, did the rest playing the best game of her career.

She had come to be referred to as the "Maytag Repairman" because she rarely had to stop anything with the Lady Indians' defense being as good as it is.

She got so little business that district coaches did not make her either first team or second team because they didn't know how good she was; she simply had not been tested.

"That upset me,'' said McInturff, who save a career-high 15 shots in Saturday's match -- several in spectacular fashion. "I was the only goalie in the league that had not allowed a goal all season, but I wasn't good enough to make the team?''

"I think she has been playing with a little chip on her shoulder,'' said Calvert. "When I saw how she was playing in the first half, I told one of my assistants that Lauren was really on today.''

Bearden had 21 shots on goal, made one and had 15 stopped by McInturff. D-B had just seven shots of its own, only four of which had a chance.

"We finished today,'' said Calvert. "We have had some games in which we might get 20 shots on goal and hit only two. Today, we really only had about four good looks and made two of them. That was good.''

Calvert said last year's team peaked too early and he has been working to hold them back a little.

"Once you peak, you have two or three weeks in which you can stay there, at the max, so I didn't want them to get too high, too soon. We are definitely peaking right now and we just need to hold it through next Saturday at this time,'' he said.

Calvert said playing a tough schedule should help. His team tied Collierville, which was runnerup to Bearden in the last two state tournaments, 1-1 and lost to Oak Ridge, 2-0, and Farragut, 2-0, for its only losses of the season. The Lady Indians have shut out 14 opponents, not allowed more the two goals a game by anyone and have outscored opponents, 91-13. They were unbeaten and unscored upon in regular-season District I play, but allowed Science hill one goal in the District I finals and Greeneville a goal in a 2-1 Region I finals overtime victory. D-B has allowed an average of just over .0.5 goals per game.

"They were clearly the better team today,'' said Bearden coach Eric Turner. "They are a very good defensive team. When we tied it, I thought we were in good shape to come back and win but we just couldn't get it done. D-B deserved to win. They have a very good team. We knew they were a good team. It was my job to get us ready to play, but I didn't do a very good job.''

In other substate games, Houston beat Barlett, 7-1, to join D-B in the field. In other matches, Oak Ridge beat Greeneville, 3-0; Riverdale beat Soddy-Daisy, 1-0; Siegel edged Cleveland, 1-0; Franklin beat Beech, 3-0; Brentwood beat Hendersonville, 5-1; and Collierville beat Arlington, 2-0.

From Knoxville News Sentinel article:

Bearden ousted by Dobyns-Bennett 2-1

By Dave Link

November 1, 2008

KINGSPORT ??” There was a tearful ending to a championship run for the Bearden High School girls soccer team Saturday afternoon.

Senior forward Tori Head scored the winning goal in the 71st minute and lifted Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett to a 2-1 victory over the two-time defending state champion Lady Bulldogs in a Class AAA sectional match.

The Lady Indians (22-3) advance to the state tournament for the first time since 1998, while the Lady Bulldogs (19-4-1) will spend next week at home.

???Hats off to them,??? Bearden coach Eric Turner said. ???They were more aggressive and wanted the ball more. Coach (Shane) Calvert got them ready, and I??™m happy he gets to make it (to state). In the same sense, I??™m really sick we won??™t be able to go over there and defend the title.???

Bearden had 16 shots in the match. Dobyns-Bennett had five.

???I thought we played pretty good but we didn??™t play as good as them, and we didn??™t play our best,??? said Bearden senior forward Amy Porter, who will play for LSU next year.

???If we played our best we would have won. We had opportunities and didn??™t finish them, and that??™s our season.???

Dobyns-Bennett took a 1-0 lead in the seventh minute when Julie Gilmer booted a free kick from the left side, and Kara Brockwell headed it past Bearden goalkeeper Michelle Heath.

The Lady Indians withstood a couple of good shots by Bearden in the last two minutes ??” a header by Caroline Gianeselli and a shot by Ashley Howarth ??” to maintain the 1-0 halftime lead.

???We weren??™t ready to start the game,??? Turner said. ???We gave up a goal in the first (eight) minutes. That??™s how teams beat us, score quickly and sit on the goal. It??™s very hard to score.???

Bearden tied the match in the 54th minute.

Gianeselli made a long pass across the middle to Samantha Turner, who fired a shot from 30 yards. Goalkeeper Lauren McInturff made a diving attempt to stop Turner??™s shot, got her hands on the ball, but it rolled into the goal.

Head, an all-state player, stunned the Lady Bulldogs and their fans seven minutes later when she dribbled past a Bearden defender and scored from 20 yards.

???She took (the defender) on,??? Turner said. ???We didn??™t make the tackle and (Head) put it in the corner. That??™s what good forwards do, is finish. She had one-on-one with the defender and snuck it by her and put it where our goalie couldn??™t get it.???

Bearden missed a chance to tie about a minute later when there was loose ball in front of the Dobyns-Bennett goal, and Gianeselli??™s shot from 5 yards was blocked by McInturff.

???I have nothing but the utmost respect for Bearden and Eric Turner,??? Calvert said. ???Our girls just played with a lot of heart.???

Hope these articles help. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />