HARDIN COUNTY @ MEMPHIS EAST

HCTigerFanII

If you blitz Hardin County then you will pay. Their QB is a good athlete and a smart field commander. By the time you reach him, he will have already found his man open. The only exception to this is if their Center has trouble with snapping the ball.

Sounds like it's going to be an interesting "cat & mouse" game, then.

----------------------------------------------------------

East had Melrose's QB under duress for quite a while. Melrose finally adjusted. It slowed East's blitz schemes, and made Toney's life a whole lot less stressful (I can't say "easier").

One other thing I should add about East: Despite Melrose's passing yards, East's DBs actually did a good job covering the receivers. Most of the time, they were with Melrose's receivers stride-for-stride. Toney's scrambling, arm strength & long-ball accuracy made the difference.

I strongly suspect that Hardin County's WRs are not going to be able to shake East's DBs, as readily as you seem to imply.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you blitz Hardin County then you will pay. Their QB is a good athlete and a smart field commander. By the time you reach him, he will have already found his man open. The only exception to this is if their Center has trouble with snapping the ball.

The speed and athletic ability of the East "blitzers" will be too much for Hardin County to handle. I hope you are right, but I have my doubts.

Sounds like it's going to be an interesting "cat & mouse" game, then.

----------------------------------------------------------

East had Melrose's QB under duress for quite a while. Melrose finally adjusted. It slowed East's blitz schemes, and made Toney's life a whole lot less stressful (I can't say "easier").

One other thing I should add about East: Despite Melrose's passing yards, East's DBs actually did a good job covering the receivers. Most of the time, they were with Melrose's receivers stride-for-stride. Toney's scrambling, arm strength & long-ball accuracy made the difference.

I strongly suspect that Hardin County's WRs are not going to be able to shake East's DBs, as readily as you seem to imply.

TraderB ... you saw East play Melrose and I haven't seen East play all season. I know that East has a triple threat backfield with Jaszy Parker @ QB, Mark Guyton @ FB. What I haven't heard about is their RB, Jamison Knox. I know he gets the bulk of their carries from these stats I pulled from the data base attached to the Commecial Appeal.

Rushing

# ... Athlete Name ... Car ... Yds ... Avg ... Long ... TD ... Y/G

5 .... Jaszy Parker ... 68 .... 551 ... 8.10 ... 24 ...... 13 ... 55.1

9 .... Mark Guyton ... 77 .... 545 ... 7.08 ... -- ....... 4 .... 54.5

10 ... Jamison Knox .. 125 .. 814 ... 6.51 ... -- ....... 10 ... 81.4

You saw him play ... what did you think?

TraderB ... you saw East play Melrose and I haven't seen East play all season. I know that East has a triple threat backfield with Jaszy Parker @ QB, Mark Guyton @ FB. What I haven't heard about is their RB, Jamison Knox. I know he gets the bulk of their carries from these stats I pulled from the data base attached to the Commecial Appeal.

Rushing

I am not able to answer your question , but I have asked a question that I don't think has been answered. How did Hunter rush for so many yards against East. Was it after the game was decided? Is Hunter THAT good? Is the East defense susceptible to the run?

I am not able to answer your question , but I have asked a question that I don't think has been answered. How did Hunter rush for so many yards against East. Was it after the game was decided? Is Hunter THAT good? Is the East defense susceptible to the run?

I didn't attend that game and I don't think TraderB was at the East/Kingsbury game either. I think the only person who can answer that question is probably going to be eastMustang. I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Thanks. I asked him yesterday but he hasn't responded. Is Gabriel Hunter the best back in Memphis?

ONE of the best. You would have to throw Tusean Homes, the RB in Millington, into that conversation. Those two are probably 1A and 1B in terms of RB skill and talent. The combination of speed, size, elusiveness, cutting ability, and strength is on the high end in both. There is another RB at 3A Sheffield, Demario Carter, who is putting up big yardage stats as well ... but I don't get the impression that he is as good as Hunter or Holmes.

ONE of the best. You would have to throw Tusean Homes, the RB in Millington, into that conversation. Those two are probably 1A and 1B in terms of RB skill and talent. The combination of speed, size, elusiveness, cutting ability, and strength is on the high end in both. There is another RB at 3A Sheffield, Demario Carter, who is putting up big yardage stats as well ... but I don't get the impression that he is as good as Hunter or Holmes.

Thanks.

Rushing

He absolutely did not stand out at all. In fact, I barely even remember #10 carrying the ball. So, for whatever Jamison Knox did, if anything at all....he did not leave much of an impression. He was 100% forgettable (no disrespect intended).

From what I recall, East's QB (Parker) did the majority of the "ground" damage. He was memorable. He had deceptive speed and ran that option very well. Perhaps his consistent success on the option "keepers," is what rendered Knox a non-factor.

The fullback #9 (Guyton) was also memorable. He was a very effective short-yardage back. Low center-of-gravity. Seemingly as strong as an ox! Melrose had a very tough time bringing him down, for anything less than a 3-yard gain!

Is East an "option" offense?

I have always thought that the best defense against an option is to tell your defenders to take each and every opportnity to put a hit on the quarterback, and force him to pitch the ball. Once it has been pitched usually three things happen, and two are bad for the offense. Yet, my experience tells me that this does not happen. I wonder why not?

I have always thought that the best defense against an option is to tell your defenders to take each and every opportnity to put a hit on the quarterback, and force him to pitch the ball. Once it has been pitched usually three things happen, and two are bad for the offense. Yet, my experience tells me that this does not happen. I wonder why not?

That may be OK against East, but you can't make a blanket statement like that. What if the dive back or pitch man are better runners than the QB? If that were true, you would want the QB to pitch the ball, or give it.

Positively yes, based on what I witnessed vs Melrose (although EastMustang says that they are not strictly option).

---------------------------------------------

As for the option's defense...

Well, Melrose sure as heck did not get that memo!

You can count the times on one hand that Melrose laid a good lick on East's QB, as he was running that option. Most of the time, the QB simply turned the corner untouched then racked up a big gainer. He absolutely destroyed Melrose, all night long--with that same play, over & over & over. It was absolutely stunning to watch.