Cumberland County Coaching

JetFan21

I want to know everyone's opinion on what should be done about the coaching at Cumberland County High School. Not just Jet fans, non-biased opinions and thoughts are wanted. What would be done in other communities throughout the state? Here are a few facts to help guide the discussion. Keep in mind there is a whole lot more to the situation than just simple statistics. One more question, should volunteer coaches be paid?

In the last three years under Tony Schultz, the record is 1- 29 and they have been outscored 1021-162, an average score of 35-5 per game. In the past three years on average 4 of the 10 opponents have had a winning record, so it is not like they are playing powerhouse teams. Additionally, they play in region 3-5A, arguably the weakest region in 5A. For example, Franklin Co.(3-7) and Warren Co.(4-6) are going to the playoffs with losing records. No offense to the representing schools of 3-5A.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is a good coach, despite the record the team was much better this season, the problem is talent... there were a couple good players on the team this year, that fullback could start for anyone in the region, but the overall talent just isn't there.

There is more talent in the school that does not play because they believe the coach is not adequate. Not to mention to start the season there were 55-60 players on the team and they finished the season with a little over half that. The majority of the players that stuck with it, done it for their teamates. And alot have already said if he comes back, they will not play. The fullback that you mentioned wants a change and knows he has not developed under the current coaching staff. And, in my opinion after watching all the games there were only a few schools that had more talent than CCHS did.

I heard he had to run off one of his leading rushers and his leading reciever because of problems.

if there is talent in the halls, then they NEED to grow up and realize the world doesnt revolve around them. If they want to play SO BAD then they will play no matter who is coaching. ITS CALLED HEART!!

Amen

What about the boys on the team? Does their opionion not count? Because they have taken a beating, not only physically, but emotionally.

No, their opinion does not count when it comes to the coach. Kids do not get to pick the coaches, and neither do the parents - believe it or not. Schultz seems like a good guy and from everything I hear he treats the kids wel and works them pretty hard. The kid's job is to play for the coach that is there. He does okay for the talent he has. Of course no one wants to play because the team is losing. And the team is losing because no one wants to play. That's a vicious circle but that is the way it usually works. What 'big time' coach is Cumberland County going to draw that will have them stumbling on themselves to get into the locker room anyway? I'm sorry but a team that is 1-29 over the past three years and has very little athleticism isn't an attractive pitch to the George Quarles' of the world. The Jets were much better this year. It takes time.

No, their opinion does not count when it comes to the coach. Kids do not get to pick the coaches, and neither do the parents - believe it or not. Schultz seems like a good guy and from everything I hear he treats the kids wel and works them pretty hard. The kid's job is to play for the coach that is there. He does okay for the talent he has. Of course no one wants to play because the team is losing. And the team is losing because no one wants to play. That's a vicious circle but that is the way it usually works. What 'big time' coach is Cumberland County going to draw that will have them stumbling on themselves to get into the locker room anyway? I'm sorry but a team that is 1-29 over the past three years and has very little athleticism isn't an attractive pitch to the George Quarles' of the world. The Jets were much better this year. It takes time.

There is so much more to it than what you hear! If he treated the players so well they would want to play for him. After, one game he told the players he was embarressed to be their coach. On the day of the first game, for the first time he went over the two minute offense on the board. Thats poor coaching. You can't tell me that in Coffee County if a coach lead a team to a 1-29 record that he would have a job. These games are not even close! I'm not asking for a "big time" coach, i'm asking for a coach. If you watched CCHS games every week you would see the problem goes alot deeper than talent!

So, your coach asks for his players to work hard and be accountable for his actions on and off the field. Some players didn't want to agree to this "old school" manner of coaching and elected not to play. And you have a problem with that, correct? I guess "quality" football programs do not ask for such nonsnese.