I will ALWAYS SAY IT....

StevieRayVol

? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> why you always use that as if to say i am slamming you but i will give you the thumbs up so say it is all ok

The thumbs up means okay....I didn't hink you were slamming me at all...actually never occured to me.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are a lot of people who do not like coach counce because he does not have a "lovable" personality - heck, i don't even think you can say he has a personaility.....he is as dry as a bone, strict as a 3rd grade catholic nun school teacher, and mean as a junk yard dog.......

he is a teacher who has garnered the respect and love of his players and their parents.......he is a teacher who believes in outworking your opponent with no excuses....he is a teacher who instills in his players "respect" for your opponents........he is a teacher who instills "respect" for your teachers, coaches, and adults......

i understand why people outside of dyersburg JUST DON"T GET WHY WE LOVE COACH COUNCE......he has never won a state championship except as an assistant coach while at MBA.....and as far as we are concerned, he never has too.....

he has however made champions out of his players.......and this community places that accomplishment AHEAD of winning a state championship.....

dyersburg is very proud of what coach counce teaches his players and the results he gets on and off the field........

the only time i have seen coach smile during season /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />, was when the team travels and eats at a restaurant in another town, and the waitress comments on how unbelievably well behaved and mannered the teenagers are......the coach smiles and says thank you......

i am amazed when i watch the kids in the team huddle after the game, kneeling and looking up at the coach......every pair of eyes, including the assistant coaches are focused on this man.....not one person looking away........

if you want to play football for james counce, then you better be ready to learn manners, respect and self respect, discipline, work harder than you have ever worked, along with a list of other valuable traits that will carry you far in life.....

there are a lot of people who do not like coach counce because he does not have a "lovable" personality - heck, i don't even think you can say he has a personaility.....he is as dry as a bone, strict as a 3rd grade catholic nun school teacher, and mean as a junk yard dog.......

he is a teacher who has garnered the respect and love of his players and their parents.......he is a teacher who believes in outworking your opponent with no excuses....he is a teacher who instills in his players "respect" for your opponents........he is a teacher who instills "respect" for your teachers, coaches, and adults......

i understand why people outside of dyersburg JUST DON"T GET WHY WE LOVE COACH COUNCE......he has never won a state championship except as an assistant coach while at MBA.....and as far as we are concerned, he never has too.....

he has however made champions out of his players.......and this community places that accomplishment AHEAD of winning a state championship.....

dyersburg is very proud of what coach counce teaches his players and the results he gets on and off the field........

the only time i have seen coach smile during season /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> , was when the team travels and eats at a restaurant in another town, and the waitress comments on how unbelievably well behaved and mannered the teenagers are......the coach smiles and says thank you......

i am amazed when i watch the kids in the team huddle after the game, kneeling and looking up at the coach......every pair of eyes, including the assistant coaches are focused on this man.....not one person looking away........

if you want to play football for james counce, then you better be ready to learn manners, respect and self respect, discipline, work harder than you have ever worked, along with a list of other valuable traits that will carry you far in life.....

That is one thing you can say about these kids...MANNERS....Yes sir...NO sir....Everyone I have ever spoken to...Yes sir, No, sir....I know one of the kids...well (he is 28 years old now and has two kids) and he was the first class to play for Counce ALL 3 years.....The first two years they were what 3-7...Then the third year they were undefeated went all the way to the semi-finals and got beat by Nashville Pearl-Cohn...48-0 with a team that had future AA and Future All-pro John Henderson, Reggie Ridley, Buck Fitzgerald, who all went to UT and Santonio Beard who went to Alabama.....He told me "SRV..He instilled a discipline, mental toughness, that by the time we were Seniors..."WE HAD THE MINDSET THAT WE WEREN"T GONNA LOSE"...Haywood, Covington, JCM..Those teams that had DRILLED us in the past...WE HAD NO FEAR OF THEM...WE KNEW WE COULD BEAT THEM......After 3 years of Coach Counce...By the time our Senior Year rolled around...We KNEW what was expected of us...and we did it...And the one thing he STILL TELLS ME TODAY WAS...You better KNOW YOUR ROLE...And your place on the totem pole"...IF we went somewhere on the bus...NO BS'ing and Cutting up...If we stopped to eat...You BETTER SAY THANK YOU AND YES MAM AND NO MAM...You better not be showing out or cutting up while you were there....You got back on the bus...Went out and played the game...DIDN"T TALK TRASH...and after it was over..You repeated the same thing...We were a MACHINE....

Had a lady whose son plays now....Tell me.."Coach Counce told me...We will have discipline..When I say..BE ON TIME...THEY WILL BE ON TIME...They will behave in the classroom as well as off the field..."Just because they are football players for DHS doesn't give them special priveliges...Matter of fact...It was just the opposite...If they play football for DHS..They have a certain standard to hold to...ON AND OFF THE FIELD...Hey..There isn't much of that left....

And for what it is worth..."The slacks, dress shirts and ties the day of the game"...I LOVE IT...I THINK IT IS WONDERFUL...Counce is a great teacher...Like I said before "OLD SCHOOL TO THE BONE" ALL BUSINESS.....

I know I post a lot about COUNCE getting the most out of his kids...But you have to realize...I deal with Lake County fans, Dyer County fans, Union City Fans, Obion Central Fans...etc EVER DAY...and that is why I say...HE MAKES FOOTBALL PLAYERS....Go watch a practice...THEN GO WATCH ONE OF HIS....No comparison.....He gets EVERYTHING HE CAN GET OUT OF HIS KIDS....We have a very talented Mitchell team coming into Dyersburg Friday night.. Typical Mitchell...BIG, STRONG AND FAST....Who is gonna win?..Wish I knew.......THAT IS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAME ON THE FIELD...NOT ON PAPER...

GO TROJANS!..

the only time i have seen coach smile during season /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />, was when the team travels and eats at a restaurant in another town, and the waitress comments on how unbelievably well behaved and mannered the teenagers are......the coach smiles and says thank you......

Well said MG. I know Coach fairly well and he aint much of a smiler or talker. He is strictly business most of the time. The kids on the team respect him and give him their all. He is doing something right. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. He is our coach and I am very proud to have him.

Wish all this stuff had been said at the FIRST of ya'lls season......this puts things in a MUCH BETTER PERSPECTIVE. You have humanized him instead of making him seem like a deity....sounds sooooo much better. SRV....you know how I feel about discipline.....something that has been lacking on our front, in my opinion. I appreciate these posts...and I am sure others do too.

WELL STATED .."OLE SCHOOL TO THE BONE"..I LOVE IT AS DO ALL DYERSBURG FANS.

T.C.O.B TROJANS FRIDAY NIGHT !!

GO TROJANS !!!!!!!!!!

Wish all this stuff had been said at the FIRST of ya'lls season......this puts things in a MUCH BETTER PERSPECTIVE. You have humanized him instead of making him seem like a deity....sounds sooooo much better. SRV....you know how I feel about discipline.....something that has been lacking on our front, in my opinion. I appreciate these posts...and I am sure others do too.

it was there adsmom but maybe not so clearly written, Counce is a "legend" but not in the way that so many people took it. He has a standard of discipline and respect that not to many younger coaches have. To me that is what was meant by Legend, maybe that was the wrong word to use but many of these boys played for him or had brothers who played for him, maybe tradition would have been better. He is in their business, tells them not to embarrass him in school or out of school, he is like a father to them. Expects more of their behavior and gets it. TOUGH is a understatment when it comes to what they go through, not just football, .... one famous speech says "If you hang with garbage you become garbage so watch who you hang with" I have a soon to be 23 year old who played 4 years for coach and a junior who is playing now for him, they both can say the different speeches that he gives them about life, not just football. Coach Counce wants to teach them things that will help them the rest of their lives, I am grateful for every thing he has done to help my husband and me raise men. Some on here talk about not seeing him smile, he doesn't do it alot but when he does it lets the boys know how much he loves them. And he truly does or he wouldnt care how they act on and off the field. Many people mistake what he has and call it control, I call it RESPECT and know that he has their best interest at heart.

GO TROJANS

it was there adsmom but maybe not so clearly written, Counce is a "legend" but not in the way that so many people took it. He has a standard of discipline and respect that not to many younger coaches have. To me that is what was meant by Legend, maybe that was the wrong word to use but many of these boys played for him or had brothers who played for him, maybe tradition would have been better. He is in their business, tells them not to embarrass him in school or out of school, he is like a father to them. Expects more of their behavior and gets it. TOUGH is a understatment when it comes to what they go through, not just football, .... one famous speech says "If you hang with garbage you become garbage so watch who you hang with" I have a soon to be 23 year old who played 4 years for coach and a junior who is playing now for him, they both can say the different speeches that he gives them about life, not just football. Coach Counce wants to teach them things that will help them the rest of their lives, I am grateful for every thing he has done to help my husband and me raise men. Some on here talk about not seeing him smile, he doesn't do it alot but when he does it lets the boys know how much he loves them. And he truly does or he wouldnt care how they act on and off the field. Many people mistake what he has and call it control, I call it RESPECT and know that he has their best interest at heart.

GO TROJANS

Good explanation...I think "Legend" rubbed many the wrong way. I remember when the State Gazette came out with the HUGE heading in it proclaiming the LEGEND was back...it almost blinded me /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Many included myself could not figure out why the word Legend was used...then a poster claimed all of Dyer County thought he was a legend. Dyer County encompasses more than D-burg. Gotta understand when most people hear the word "Legend" being tossed about...they think championships....then they see he has none and think ego. Understand people are reading this in black and white. I can see from your posts and others where "championship" is perceived in another manner such as , respect, hard work, diligence. It comes across so much more human now and ALOT more understandable. I've said mant times..my dad went to DHS, many relatives live there and attend school there...I wish the kids the best of luck. My nephew will be at DC next year....he has many friends from D-burg who he has played sports with for years...I know and like all the parents. More than one of the people I know from D-burg have shaken their heads at the legend moniker also....it isn't just people from other schools. I love the word tradition and what it represents...that was a good word to use. I like "old school" too /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> wish more coaches would be like that.I have a coach in the family and his players respect him tremendously...he demands it and gets it and is not afraid to lay down the law with his players....see I understand that. Appreciate your post.