Question for Football Referees!

FridayMainEvent

If I understood correctly, it becomes a "dead ball" the moment it crosses the goal line, but I also would like some verification on that. These high school rules can be tricky when you are used to watching college ball for 30 years...LOL

During CPA's game with Fairview this past Friday, a similiar event came up. We kicked-off to Fairview, the Fairview player mishandled the kick(passed through his hands) and it went into the endzone. No whistle at this point. He then went into the endzone and picked the ball up and proceded to exit the endzone. At that point, when he picked it up, the official blew his whistle and signed touchback.

Based on that, I would think the ball is live, until someone controls it.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...followed by even more chaos.....

Same scenario (almost) in Gatlinburg-Pittman/Cumberland Gap game. GP punts to CG, return man form CG "muffs" the kick on about the 5 yard line. Ball carries into the end zone, recovered by GP for what all thought was a touchdown, only to be reversed into a touchback, with CG retaining possession on their own 20. It has something to do with the "muff", which is treated totally different in college. I thought the same thing (touchdown) intially until the rule was explained to me. One of those "quirky" high school rules issues. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Talked to one of my ref buds. If the kicked ball's momentum takes it into the endzone, even if the receiver "muffs" the catch, it is a touchback. If the player throws or bats the ball into the endzone during a runback, he is considered to have possession of the ball, and the ball is now "live".

If he is returning the ball, then he controlled it before it went into the endzone. However, if he losses possession, the ball is "live' where ever it goes.

Ok, my head hurts.

Here's a different question:

I've noticed that after a false start, if the game clock was running, the game clock resumes running after the penalty is marked off and the ball whistled back into play. Does the play clock reset at the same time? If it does, then there is a problem.

Let's say team A has the ball and a lead late in the game. Team B is on defense and has no timeouts. Team A wants to run out the clock, but cannot completely do so by taking a knee on each down, and would have to run a play of some kind on 4th down. If the game and play clocks reset after a false start, could team A purposely false start to get a fresh play clock to run the clock out since the down would not change?

I haven't seen this actually happen, but if both clocks restart, it could. Someone smarter than me has the answer to this.

Here's a different question:

I've noticed that after a false start, if the game clock was running, the game clock resumes running after the penalty is marked off and the ball whistled back into play. Does the play clock reset at the same time? If it does, then there is a problem.

Let's say team A has the ball and a lead late in the game. Team B is on defense and has no timeouts. Team A wants to run out the clock, but cannot completely do so by taking a knee on each down, and would have to run a play of some kind on 4th down. If the game and play clocks reset after a false start, could team A purposely false start to get a fresh play clock to run the clock out since the down would not change?

I haven't seen this actually happen, but if both clocks restart, it could. Someone smarter than me has the answer to this.

I see your point. I'd assume for the reason you stated, the game clock would not run following a penalty. I really need to invest in rulebook from the NFHS website. I have so many questions on plays such as the one you stated.

If a kickoff hits the returner who is standing on the 5 yard line in the chest, bounces off, then rolls in the endzone, what's the ruling? This happened Friday night. The kid ran back, retrieved the ball and ran it out only to get tackled on the 10 yard line.

After the play was over the zebras huddled together and ruled it a touch back and gave the receiving team the ball on the 20 yard line. Was the ball alive in the endzone and could the kickoff team recover it for a TD, or was the ball dead as soon as it crossed the goal line even though it was touched by a returner at the 5??

I'm puzzled by this rule even if they ruled it correctly. What is to prevent a returner from seeing he made a bad decision to return a kick and flip it back in the endzone to get it on the 20?? Seems like this rule needs to be examined if those officials made the correct call. Input would be appreciated..

well, i've seen this in 2 games this year. where it hits a player(hits there leg, or goes through there arms) and both times they have gone back into the endzone picked it up and ran it out. and the refs never blew it dead. the opposing teams coach seemed furious that they let it play out. but i believe if you touch it in bounds then its live and you have to go get it. i mean if you touch a ball thats going out of bounds that the momentum would have taken out of bounds its not ruled an illegal kick, its ruled out of bounds right there, whether it was ruled right or not, it was ruled live when i've seen it.

I got this from an NFHS rules website when I googled "muffed kicks in high school football".

A couple of points about muffed kicks or fumbles and touchbacks. A kick (refer to a play, not the striking of the ball with a players foot) ends when possession is gained or the ball is blown dead while not in player possession. This is important because any kick going into R's end zone is a touchback. If K kicks to R and R muffs (an unsuccessful attempt to gain possession of the ball) into it's own end zone and K falls on the ball it will still be a touchback, not a touchdown. A little more drastic example would be if K kicked to R and when the ball hit the ground both teams started to play soccer with the ball. R kicks it up the field and K intercepts and kicks it back down the field and this goes on for a while. Finally the ball gets near R's end zone and is kicked into the end zone. It is still a touchback because possession was never gained. Of course with this example there would be about 100 illegal kick penalties.

If a kick is muffed in the field of play either team may recover but only R may advance. If K recovers a muffed kick it will get the ball 1st and 10 at the spot of recovery. But a muff should not be confused with a fumble. A fumble can only happen after possession has been gained. If K kicks to R and R gains possession, either catches or recovers it after it hits the ground, and then fumbles it into it's end zone it is a live ball and should K fall on it it is a touchdown. If R fumbles and K recovers K can advance.

I got this from an NFHS rules website when I googled "muffed kicks in high school football".

A couple of points about muffed kicks or fumbles and touchbacks. A kick (refer to a play, not the striking of the ball with a players foot) ends when possession is gained or the ball is blown dead while not in player possession. This is important because any kick going into R's end zone is a touchback. If K kicks to R and R muffs (an unsuccessful attempt to gain possession of the ball) into it's own end zone and K falls on the ball it will still be a touchback, not a touchdown. A little more drastic example would be if K kicked to R and when the ball hit the ground both teams started to play soccer with the ball. R kicks it up the field and K intercepts and kicks it back down the field and this goes on for a while. Finally the ball gets near R's end zone and is kicked into the end zone. It is still a touchback because possession was never gained. Of course with this example there would be about 100 illegal kick penalties.

If a kick is muffed in the field of play either team may recover but only R may advance. If K recovers a muffed kick it will get the ball 1st and 10 at the spot of recovery. But a muff should not be confused with a fumble. A fumble can only happen after possession has been gained. If K kicks to R and R gains possession, either catches or recovers it after it hits the ground, and then fumbles it into it's end zone it is a live ball and should K fall on it it is a touchdown. If R fumbles and K recovers K can advance.

Excellent job on your research, partner!! ? That means the crew made the correct ruling. ? A little late, but the correct call was made. ? We were fortunate to have one of the best crews we've seen all year last week. ? Would like to see those guys back at The Stable this week. ? The crew we had in the CA game was one of the worse I've seen all year. ? 

[/color]

I never heard any grumbling from either side of the field this past Friday other than that one play and a silly celebration penalty on our QB in the 4th quarter. ? He extended his arms in front of him with the football as he crossed the goal line. ? No lie, that was all he did.....LOL......No diving, no jumping up and down, nothing. ? Just extended his arms while crossing the goal line then pitched the ball to the official... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> .. Instant hanky and 15 yard penalty on kickoff. ? Funny thing is, we still pinned them inside the 30 even after kicking off from the 25 yard line...LOL