VOLUNTEER GIRLS AND SULLIVAN NORTH

outkast3000

Early returns indicate Volunteer will be mediocre at best and pretty bad at worst. Unicoi Co. beat them by 15 and it was pretty much the Ali Gardner show (22 points and 19 rebounds). A good team does not let one player beat them. Gardner is good and

IT IS STILL EARLY FOLKS ALI GARDNER DID HAVE A GOOD GAME AS DID THE VOLUNTEERS GIRLS THEY GOT SOME TALENT AND A GOOD BUNCH OF LADIES. I KNOW ALI WAS SORE AFTERWARDS. THE GIRLS ARE WORKING HARD FOR COACH FISHER THIS YEAR ALI AND KAYLA SENIORS AND THE REST FRESHMEN AND SOPHMORES ALI ACTUALLY SHOULD BE A JUNIOR BUT,STARTED SCHOOLA YEAR EARLY. SHE LOVES THE GAME AND LET,S HOPE THEY ALL STAY HEALTHY.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND HOPE EACH OF YOUR GIRLS STAY HEALTHY .

BE SURE AND WATCH OUT FOR THE CHEAP ONES AT THE AUX.GYM IN JOHNSON CITY. AND HEAVEN FORBID IF YOU QUESTION THERE MOTIVATION .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

Early returns indicate Volunteer will be mediocre at best and pretty bad at worst. Unicoi Co. beat them by 15 and it was pretty much the Ali Gardner show (22 points and 19 rebounds). A good team does not let one player beat them. Gardner is good and Unicoi Co. has a rich tradition, but they have to fight to stay in the top three of the AA league this year. Volunteer may have to fight to stay off the bottom of the AAA league.

Why would you come on here and bash a young lady who's trying to do her best?

Sorry, not intended to be bashing, just bad choice of words. It was late and I was frustrated by us blowing a great 1st quarter lead and the lack of play execution support she recieved. That's what I meant by it is a team sport. Just my opinion she should have not been put in that situation and that too much was asked from her. There is no doubt she will develop into a great player. GO Falcons!! Let have a great tournament!!!

Sorry, not intended to be bashing, just bad choice of words. It was late and I was frustrated by us blowing a great 1st quarter lead and the lack of play execution support she recieved. That's what I meant by it is a team sport. Just my opinion she should have not been put in that situation and that too much was asked from her. There is no doubt she will develop into a great player. GO Falcons!! Let have a great tournament!!!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Understand. I've said the same kinds of things before about other teams, but ONLY to my wife. Hope the players don't read this stuff anyway, but you have to be careful, cause sometimes it doesn't take much to disrupt team chemistry or damage a player's confidence..............

Plus, remember, it's way early in the season. They'll come around, and gel as a team after they've been in a few more battles.

Volunteer is taking some beatings from the AA league. I watched them lose to Unicoi Co., Elizabethton, and Happy Valley. I think they can compete with Boone, Crockett, and Sullivan East and may avoid the cellar in the AAA league. It will take the new coach some time to develop his young players.

Coach17, what do you think it would take to light a fire under Volunteer Girls? They can put 3 - 4 girls on the floor that are 5'10' or taller and at least 3 seniors, that have played together since middle school and another senior transfer. How many other teams in Big 9 can put four seniors in floor? Most are good athletes, but that does not equate to good ballplayers. They consistently get out executed by overall smaller teams. I can only see a couple of girls that have any basic basketball skills. I know the girls are playing hard and the best they can, but anybody can play. In today's game it takes more to win, there has to be a commitment from each player to improve their skills. I am not talking about playing summer league or AAU, most of these teams are just thrown together. If you are not working on improving your skills year round you will always play at the same level no matter where you play. Until that commitment comes no amount of coaching can turn a program around. Come on girls anybody willing to put in what it takes to win??????

You pretty much answered your own question. The Falcons have some height, strength, and athleticism. However, they do not shoot well, have no consistent inside game, and turn the ball over way too much. They also break down defensively, fail to box out, and reach and grab too much. It is probably too late for the seniors to get much better skill and fundamental wise, but they can play hard and execute better both offensively and defensively. The younger players can still be developed and I like the young guards Lindholm and Anderson. The team also seems to lack an identity about what kind of team they want to be. I would try to simplify things and go back to basic fundamentals. I would identify my best post player and best two wing shooters and let them take the majority of the shots. I would also really try to play tough defense and use the size and strength to keep other teams from scoring so easily. This season may be the start of a rebuilding project for the program, but the Lady Falcons could pull some upsets if they improve. It is still early and the new coach needs some time to put in his system.

You pretty much answered your own question. The Falcons have some height, strength, and athleticism. However, they do not shoot well, have no consistent inside game, and turn the ball over way too much. They also break down defensively, fail to box out, and reach and grab too much. It is probably too late for the seniors to get much better skill and fundamental wise, but they can play hard and execute better both offensively and defensively. The younger players can still be developed and I like the young guards Lindholm and Anderson. The team also seems to lack an identity about what kind of team they want to be. I would try to simplify things and go back to basic fundamentals. I would identify my best post player and best two wing shooters and let them take the majority of the shots. I would also really try to play tough defense and use the size and strength to keep other teams from scoring so easily. This season may be the start of a rebuilding project for the program, but the Lady Falcons could pull some upsets if they improve. It is still early and the new coach needs some time to put in his system.

That's what eluded to in one of my earlier posts concerning a team made up of the younger players that would beat the veterans 9 out of 10 times. The group of younger girls have better basic fundamentals. Guards / wings Linholm and Huddle (sick) can shoot the lights outs and handle ball well, McFarland (injured) good ball handler, sees floor well, O'Dell is improving every day at post, Anderson executes plays well and Adkins is getting more time at wing / post and is looking good. Anytime 2 or 3 of these girls are on the floor together they usually execute plays and can play with opponents. In several scrimmages these girls held their own and overcame deficits only to have veterans lose game. It is a touchy situation for both players and parents when underclassmen outperform veterans. There have already been a couple of issues Myers has had to contend with and he performed admirably. I think they hired the right man to turn program around, but it will not be easy. It will take a level of commitment from players, parents and feeder system we have never had. You are right about the seniors improving skills this late, but they can be leaders and set a play hard standard to be followed in future. Hard aggressive play will overcome some skill deficits. Let's go Falcons are we up to it?

That's what eluded to in one of my earlier posts concerning a team made up of the younger players that would beat the veterans 9 out of 10 times. The group of younger girls have better basic fundamentals. Guards / wings Linholm and Huddle (sick) can shoot the lights outs and handle ball well, McFarland (injured) good ball handler, sees floor well, O'Dell is improving every day at post, Anderson executes plays well and Adkins is getting more time at wing / post and is looking good. Anytime 2 or 3 of these girls are on the floor together they usually execute plays and can play with opponents. In several scrimmages these girls held their own and overcame deficits only to have veterans lose game. It is a touchy situation for both players and parents when underclassmen outperform veterans. There have already been a couple of issues Myers has had to contend with and he performed admirably. I think they hired the right man to turn program around, but it will not be easy. It will take a level of commitment from players, parents and feeder system we have never had. You are right about the seniors improving skills this late, but they can be leaders and set a play hard standard to be followed in future. Hard aggressive play will overcome some skill deficits. Let's go Falcons are we up to it?

Well said Coach17 and it seems to look like takeittothehole knows what he/she is talking about. It does seem that the younger players are bailing out the veterans. As a armchair coach, who would be your pick(sensitive subject) just out of curiosity. If you want, I posted and got some negative feedback. Not intended to offend, but I think you see what others see and don't say.