Watertown

brichard

Posted by brichard:

Does any one have any information on Watertown? Who have they scrimmaged? What offense do they run? What defense? How has pre-season gone so far?

Unless they have changed... they always run a Wing-T or Wing-Slot offense and a 5-2 or 5-3 defense. They are always quick and execute the WING well. :rolleyes:

Posted by Widetackle:

I have seen Watertown scrimmage a few times and I was really surprised at how much and how well they were throwing the football. They seem to be using more of a spread attack this year.

That will make GAME FIVE (WEEK FOUR) very interesting! If we both throw the ball around a lot, it will be a very long football game, but one that is exciting to watch. :D

Posted by Widetackle:

I have seen Watertown scrimmage a few times and I was really surprised at how much and how well they were throwing the football. They seem to be using more of a spread attack this year.

Rumor has it that a van filled with Mormons broke down in Cherry Valley. The kids enrolled at Watertown and convinced the old coach at Watertown to install Brigham Young's passing game. Better get your kids in a backpedal if you are playing the Purple Tigers this year. Also, the new principal there is a frustrated ex-football coach and he is making them run a bunch of wild plays that never worked for him, i.e. halfback passes, hidden ball plays, etc. Expect them to be a little better, in spite of the outside influences.

The wide formations and throwing can be traced, at least in part, to the arrival of former Mt. Juliet head coach Dan Winfree to the Watertown coaching staff. I though Winfree did a very good job at Mt. Juliet putting his undersized team in a position to attack their opponents while spreading the field. Expect much of the same for the Tigers in 2002.

Posted by Eddie:

The wide formations and throwing can be traced, at least in part, to the arrival of former Mt. Juliet head coach Dan Winfree to the Watertown coaching staff. I though Winfree did a very good job at Mt. Juliet putting his undersized team in a position to attack their opponents while spreading the field. Expect much of the same for the Tigers in 2002.

Well that will make at least two passing teams in our region, maybe three! I think we will see Friendship throwing the ball even more this year! This is the trend right now in high school and college sports. We will see even more teams going to the spread offense in the coming years! :D

[Edited by ELA on 8-22-02 1:09P]

Guest BluSdime

unless something has changed or i have bad memory. Winfree isn't THAT big on throwing. It may be more than the Tigers are use to. I don't know because I have never seen them actually play. Good luck anyway; hope Winfree's strategies work. He was a good coach at MJ, but his actions left half the kids who normally play from signing up because they didn't want to play for HIM.

Posted by BluSdime:

unless something has changed or i have bad memory. Winfree isn't THAT big on throwing. It may be more than the Tigers are use to. I don't know because I have never seen them actually play. Good luck anyway; hope Winfree's strategies work. He was a good coach at MJ, but his actions left half the kids who normally play from signing up because they didn't want to play for HIM.

his actions? maybe it's just me, just me, just Ernest T, but maybe the answer is easy to see. Maybe nobody likes playing inna disciplined program, fer a disciplined coach anymore. Could be true of several schools around these here parts. :(