PHargis

La Vergne girls knock off Bartlett 63-48

By JARED HASTINGS ??? jhastings@dnj.com ??? November 25, 2008

Post a CommentRecommend Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us

Facebook

Digg

Reddit

Newsvine

Buzz up! LA VERGNE ??” In a showdown between two of the state??™s top players, Bartlett??™s Jasmine James won the battle, but LaQuinta Jefferson and La Vergne won the war.

James ??” a Georgia signee and ranked as the No. 51 senior in the country by Hoopgurlz.com??” scored a game-high 31 points, but Jefferson and her Lady Wolverine teammates were too much, forcing 21 Bartlett turnovers and controlling the game from the tip for a 63-48 victory at the Bridgestone Classic Tuesday night.

???It was just team ball,??? said Jefferson, a DNJ All-Area selection in 2008 as a sophomore. ???It??™s a great confidence builder. We just have to keep coming out every night and playing like that.???

Jefferson, the 37th ranked junior in the nation led three Lady Wolverines in double figures, scoring 20 points and keying La Vergne??™s ferocious full-court attack.

???We thought that defensive pressure would be the key,??? said La Vergne coach Keith Dean, whose team improved to 2-1 on the season.

Jefferson didn??™t have to do it along, though, as juniors Jasmine Dale and Jasmine Brimm chipped in 15 points apiece for the Lady Wolverines.

Bartlett, a Class AAA state tournament team in 2008, was on the ropes from the word ??

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

La Vergne girls knock off Bartlett 63-48

By JARED HASTINGS ??? jhastings@dnj.com ??? November 25, 2008

Post a CommentRecommend Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us

Facebook

Digg

Reddit

Newsvine

Buzz up! LA VERGNE ??” In a showdown between two of the state??™s top players, Bartlett??™s Jasmine James won the battle, but LaQuinta Jefferson and La Vergne won the war.

James ??” a Georgia signee and ranked as the No. 51 senior in the country by Hoopgurlz.com??” scored a game-high 31 points, but Jefferson and her Lady Wolverine teammates were too much, forcing 21 Bartlett turnovers and controlling the game from the tip for a 63-48 victory at the Bridgestone Classic Tuesday night.

I guess the Popcorn isn't popping yet?.....

???It was just team ball,??? said Jefferson, a DNJ All-Area selection in 2008 as a sophomore. ???It??™s a great confidence builder. We just have to keep coming out every night and playing like that.???

Jefferson, the 37th ranked junior in the nation led three Lady Wolverines in double figures, scoring 20 points and keying La Vergne??™s ferocious full-court attack.

???We thought that defensive pressure would be the key,??? said La Vergne coach Keith Dean, whose team improved to 2-1 on the season.

Jefferson didn??™t have to do it along, though, as juniors Jasmine Dale and Jasmine Brimm chipped in 15 points apiece for the Lady Wolverines.

Bartlett, a Class AAA state tournament team in 2008, was on the ropes from the word ??

It's likely that Bartlett traveled the day of the game, got to Lavergne, had a period of adjustment to travel, surroundings, officiating, etc, and Lavergne just got ahead of them in the first quarter. The rest of the game was even.

Don't underestimate the play of LaVergne....if you were not there don't assume you know what happened.

Don't underestimate the play of LaVergne....if you were not there don't assume you know what happened.

OK, I stand corrected. What happened? Bartlett, Millington and Memphis Central have been battling it out recently for the "Best of the West" in AAA. Those three schools could likely determine the State Representative. Bartlett just came off of a hard played win with Millington. Millington was very tired when Bartlett beat them. if you are saying Lavergne today is a State championship contendor, give us some reasons how LaV beat Bartlett so we can put LaV on the radar. We know LaV has a good player or two. but that Doesn't make a championship team. Afterall a AA school just beat LaV.

OK, I stand corrected. What happened? Bartlett, Millington and Memphis Central have been battling it out recently for the "Best of the West" in AAA. Those three schools could likely determine the State Representative. Bartlett just came off of a hard played win with Millington. Millington was very tired when Bartlett beat them. if you are saying Lavergne today is a State championship contendor, give us some reasons how LaV beat Bartlett so we can put LaV on the radar. We know LaV has a good player or two. but that Doesn't make a championship team. Afterall a AA school just beat LaV.

Bartlett has not played Millington yet this year and will not face them until December in District play. Bartlett is now 3-1 on the season after defeating Oakland 60-24. LaVergne does have a good team, but don't start declaring them AAA champions just yet. If I am not mistaken, they have to go through Wilson Central and Smyrna to get to the Boro and that in it self will be a hard task to conquer, although anything is possible.

Bartlett lost the game in the first quarter, but made adjustments and the remaining quarters were pretty evenly matched. I wouldn't count Bartlett out just yet. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Some teams peak early, but the truth of the matter is that games like this help prepare teams for the end of the season. This game does count as a loss on Bartlett's overall record, but it won't make or break their season. Great job LaQuinta and Stephanie

I must also say that of all of the schools I have visited, some of the fans from LaVergne are the worse I have ever seen. These are kids out there on the court playing and these obnoxious fans took much pride and pleasure in making rude comments about the young ladies and trash talking the entire game. The good thing is that the young ladies could not hear them. I was very disgusted at the fact that adults would conduct themselves in the way they did. Here is a little bit of advice......if your child is blessed with talent and being recruited by colleges, colleges are not only looking at the player, but the parents as well and you never know who is sitting in the stands around you. Don't be the reason a recruiter is hesitant about seriously recruiting your child. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Bartlett has not played Millington yet this year and will not face them until December in District play. Bartlett is now 3-1 on the season after defeating Oakland 60-24. LaVergne does have a good team, but don't start declaring them AAA champions just yet. If I am not mistaken, they have to go through Wilson Central and Smyrna to get to the Boro and that in it self will be a hard task to conquer, although anything is possible.

Bartlett lost the game in the first quarter, but made adjustments and the remaining quarters were pretty evenly matched. I wouldn't count Bartlett out just yet. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Some teams peak early, but the truth of the matter is that games like this help prepare teams for the end of the season. This game does count as a loss on Bartlett's overall record, but it won't make or break their season. Great job LaQuinta and Stephanie

I must also say that of all of the schools I have visited, some of the fans from LaVergne are the worse I have ever seen. These are kids out there on the court playing and these obnoxious fans took much pride and pleasure in making rude comments about the young ladies and trash talking the entire game. The good thing is that the young ladies could not hear them. I was very disgusted at the fact that adults would conduct themselves in the way they did. Here is a little bit of advice......if your child is blessed with talent and being recruited by colleges, colleges are not only looking at the player, but the parents as well and you never know who is sitting in the stands around you. Don't be the reason a recruiter is hesitant about seriously recruiting you child. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

And you are right(Sorry coachG), Bartlett beat memphis Central but i thought Millington lost in a Tournament.

When did Bartlett play Millington this year?... I must have missed it.

I guess Bartlett isn't counting the 2 losses in the HOF games, eh?

Rob_M,

Bartlett did not have 2 losses in the HOF games. The only loss they had was 61-59 to Central. They defeated Melrose 60-44 and Manassas 54-34. Last I checked, Millington is not counting their loss to Central in the HOF games which is the coaches decision to do so. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I must also say that of all of the schools I have visited, some of the fans from LaVergne are the worse I have ever seen. These are kids out there on the court playing and these obnoxious fans took much pride and pleasure in making rude comments about the young ladies and trash talking the entire game. The good thing is that the young ladies could not hear them. I was very disgusted at the fact that adults would conduct themselves in the way they did. Here is a little bit of advice......if your child is blessed with talent and being recruited by colleges, colleges are not only looking at the player, but the parents as well and you never know who is sitting in the stands around you. Don't be the reason a recruiter is hesitant about seriously recruiting you child. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Your post is pertainent. Makes sounds like a recruiter would make. Grandmother, settle your fans down.

What are you talking about??? What does Millington or Memphis Central have to do with the Bartlett/LaVergne game?? Hopefully, you know you cannot crown a state champion in November.

I think we all like to get on here & brag on our teams, but I won't. I will tell you other than infamous LaQuinta Jefferson, 37th ranked Jr in the nation by Hoopgurlz, we have 3 more awesome Jrs & a sophomore guard who compliment Ms. Jefferson, so we don't have a "one player" show. I would suggest to you PHargis, to make a trip to the north end of Rutherford Co. & check out this team who you don't know anything about & make your assumption. I think if you see for yourself, you will be more apt to know what you are posting about.