UTC Old Timers Classic

CHATTWRESTLING

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(nice coverage by Gene Henley for Chattanooga Times Free Press)

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/de...lls-old-timers/

(VERY NICE coverage by B.B. Branton for thechattanoogan.com)

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_140354.asp

LaFayette Captures Inaugural Old Timers??™ Wrestling Cup

by B.B. Branton

posted December 6, 2008

Every coach worth his or her salt loves to win a tournament in anything, whether it is a neighborhood gathering or a world title. And winning the first of something is even sweeter. Just as the LaFayette High School wrestling team.

The defending Georgia AA state duals and traditional champions rambled into town (to UTC??™s Maclellan Gym) Saturday morning undefeated and by sunset had the inaugural Old Timer??™s Cup well in hand.

The Orange and Black of coach Lee Dendy swept through pool play 3-0 and then knocked off Cleveland, 39-26, and McCallie, 58-15, in the round robin finals. The Blue Raiders finished second with a 46-28 triumph against McCallie.

???To beat quality wrestling programs such as McCallie and Cleveland is a real thrill for us,??™??™ said Dendy, whose Ramblers are 6-0 on the young season.

???Our guys really wanted to win this first Old Timer??™s Cup and our conditioning throughout a long day of wrestling (five matches) was better than I anticipated, Dendy stated.

LaFayette 39, Cleveland 26

The Ramblers spotted Cleveland a three point lead after the opening match at 119 and then won seven straight for a 33-3 lead.

With a maximum of 36 points still on the table and strength of Cleveland??™s lineup to come, Lafayette??™s Will Gilbert clinched the team win.

Gilbert edged Jesse Jones, 5-3, at 171 in an emotionally-charged match to give Lafayette an insurmountable 36-3 lead.

The Blue Raiders scored the next 23 points as Chip Norwood (tech. fall), Max Ofori (forfeit), Adam Peters (fall) and Bryan Alvarado (fall) to trail 36-36, before Lafayette??™s Chance Gilride edged Edwin Rodriquez, 9-5, to close out the match.

LaFayette 58, McCallie 18

The Ramblers led all the way in this one to clinch the title. McCallie??™s wins came from T.J. Duncan (decision), Alex Moore (forfeit) and Alex Ward (fall).

???We won all the close matches today and that??™s a tribute to hard work and determination,??™??™said Dendy who knows something about hard work with a pair of individual state titles in his trophy case.

Cleveland 46, McCallie 28

The Blue Raiders defeated McCallie for the second time in three days, having won 40-28 on Thursday.

Today, Cleveland won two of the first three weights to lead, 12-6. McCallie won the next five and led 28-12 after Chase Martino pinned Will Moreland at 152. Cleveland won the final six matches, four via fall.

Best Match: McCallie rallied to defeat Soddy Daisy 34-32 in pool play. The Trojans led 23-3 after five weights and were up 32-15 after 10. McCallie won the final four weights, including a third period pin by Alex Moore (215) in the final match.

Only Girl: LaFayette??™s Hannah Jackson (103) was the only girl in the tournament. The freshman was 1-4 on the day and hopes to be the Rambler 103-pounder for four years.

??