Cannon county football

BigPun

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me? Some middle school teams could beat these two teams, especially the Scottsboro Christian Academy.

I'm sure you know these two schools really well. I'm sure this berninger guy they talk about has more football knowledge than you'll ever dream about having. Not to mention he kept Own the Edge from getting his butt kicked on more than one occasion. Not because he had to, or even that he wanted to. But thats just the type of person. Woodbury lost one of the best human beings and football minds.

Back to Back State Titles at Landmark Christian. 2 National titles with Scottsboro Christian Academy.

The new defense should be pretty great this year. Basic four four defense with no blitzing. I mean heck it did a great job on the Junior Varsity Level for many years. Right Owntheedge?

As for Coach Berninger, How can you say his defense didn't look that great? He held a high powered Westmoreland team to just fourteen points. And would have held them to seven if owntheedge would have listened and kept the saftey over to help out instead of telling him to play the slant for god knows why.

Let's talk about the responsiblity as a coach. Is it not to inspire young people? Isn't it to build a a kid into a man? Isn't it to be more than just a football coach? Be a role model? A leader?

Owntheedge, can you really say you did that this year? Can you sleep well at night knowing good and well that you did all you could for these young men?

Or did you degrade more than anything? Did you ever tell a kid he just wasn't good enough to play for you? What is that kid going to remember about his Senior year football season. Was it beating upperman at home? Was it the heart break of the westmoreland loss? No he is going to remember what a joke of a coach he had. A coach that told him that he wasn't good enough.

Good Luck to your Junior Varsity mentality of a Defense.

Back to Back State Titles at Landmark Christian. 2 National titles with Scottsboro Christian Academy.

The new defense should be pretty great this year. Basic four four defense with no blitzing. I mean heck it did a great job on the Junior Varsity Level for many years. Right Owntheedge?

As for Coach Berninger, How can you say his defense didn't look that great? He held a high powered Westmoreland team to just fourteen points. And would have held them to seven if owntheedge would have listened and kept the saftey over to help out instead of telling him to play the slant for god knows why.

Let's talk about the responsiblity as a coach. Is it not to inspire young people? Isn't it to build a a kid into a man? Isn't it to be more than just a football coach? Be a role model? A leader?

Owntheedge, can you really say you did that this year? Can you sleep well at night knowing good and well that you did all you could for these young men?

Or did you degrade more than anything? Did you ever tell a kid he just wasn't good enough to play for you? What is that kid going to remember about his Senior year football season. Was it beating upperman at home? Was it the heart break of the westmoreland loss? No he is going to remember what a joke of a coach he had. A coach that told him that he wasn't good enough.

Good Luck to your Junior Varsity mentality of a Defense.

A coach's top priority and responsibility is to make his players the best players they can be, it is the parents job to raise them and be role models and all that. A coach should motivate his team, but the coach does not have to be the kids parent and best friend off the field. As far as degrading players, that in my opinion is one of the most effective ways to motivate a player, look no further than Bobby Knight and the success he had and that was his method. I agree it seemed that Beringer was a good coach and to have someone like him at Cannon Co. was a huge asset, but Bartsch is the head coach and he makes the final decisions as far as his coaching staff. I think Bartsch is far from a joke of a coach, i didn't agree with some of his decisions, but i didn't agree with alot of Barger's either, but I'm no football coach, but just 3 or 4 seasons ago Cannon would have been excited to go 4-6, Barger has one winning season, which was great and i think Barger did a great job getting the program re-energized, but why is everyone so hard on Bartsch. Barger couldn't have beat this year's Dekalb team, and Barger lost to westmoreland by one point, on really a bad coaching decision at the end of the game and everyone loved him and had all good things to say. Let the football coach do his job which is not to be a parent, it is to coach football and and help raise money for the program, and also please work with the AD to improve restroom and concession facilities.

bad coaching? i guess you knew the kicker pulled a hamstring and we were out of range. i love armchair qbs. if you are not on the sidelines then dont judge. the dekalb game got out of hand by mistakes but who knows what happens if 6 was healthy. dirty laundry should not be aired out on the internet. there could be 100 reasons the coaches parted ways. that happens. good luck in the future.

bad coaching? i guess you knew the kicker pulled a hamstring and we were out of range. i love armchair qbs. if you are not on the sidelines then dont judge. the dekalb game got out of hand by mistakes but who knows what happens if 6 was healthy. dirty laundry should not be aired out on the internet. there could be 100 reasons the coaches parted ways. that happens. good luck in the future.

Wildcat I've been a big fan of your opinion but i have to disagree (slightly) with the degrading part... the kids of this generation don't respond well to the degrading style..... You have to cuddle these couch potato kids whom have been catered to all there lives. the days of kids out in the back yard chosing teams and just playing ball are over.. too many mama's boys play today and can't take the verbal or mental abuse of being called out. too many run home to mama and get pampered.... just look at several on this past year's senior roster...

I see you around town calling the games, you know how some of the kid's coaches think each game they coach is the final 4 championship games... How do they (the kids) respond when their ridiculous acting coaches scream and hollar at 10 and 11 year kids who can't make the elementary school teams. They don't respond.these coaches try to live there lives throught these kids (because several of them couldn't play or even make a team when they were kids) another issue that hurts the growth and system feeding kids to the high school level...

Take dodge with the girls teams he rakes his senior players over the coals but he doesn't treat his young freshman and sophmores the same, why ?? Becasue he understands the emotions of the young kids and knows they can't handle it.....Burns me up just sitting a few feet from him... if I could say something without getting carried to the jail house I would... but I enjoy the games to much to embrass him or myself..

leaders and motivators are key characters for a coach...knowing when to push them to the limit and then backing off is tough... but i would say you could get more out of a player motivating them verses degrading them....something I speak about when i get a chance to talk to corporations... Anyone can manage, but few can lead and motivate.....people who want to excel need that inspirational leader.....Determining a players skill set and then utilizing those to thier fullest and building the team aroung each players skills is a unique asset...

keep posting I enjoy your point of view... work on the principal and AD, you can help the county teams... you seem to be well respected around the county never heard anything negative about you... it's a pleasure to see a young man with a plan, you don't see that much here in Cannon. Must go back to good parents verse a coach teaching you or being a role model....

I agree the coaches do run around like its the final 4 haha, i don't mean degrade and belittle jr. pro kids or even elementary kids, but if players can't take any constructive critism than they will never make it on the high school level, because most of the coaches who call a player out or get on a player for making a dumb play do it because that player has more potential than they are showing. I agree with what you said about the leadership and motivation being a key part of coaching, and i believe that sometimes degrading is motivation, it always was for me, it made me want to play harder. I'm not saying that there aren't other successful ways of coaching because there are and a great coach uses all of those methods to win. You do have to agree though there are numerous coaches who have used calling a player out (sounds better than degrading) to motivate and be successful look on youtube at any halftime speech any sport and you will almost always see a coach demanding more out of a player. I do have to disagree with what you said about Coach Dodgen, i have seen him personally get on to his sophmores and freshman, and its because he believes they have lots of potential. Players at any sport today respond to excitement, and enthusiasm and knowing that there coach really cares about them more than anything. I agree there are many successful and different ways to coach take Tony Dungy he never seems to show emotion but his palyers play for him and are successful, but that is becoming a thing of the past, Will Muschamp the Texas D-coordinator and next head coach runs out on the field and chest bumps his players and that type of excitement and style iss what players are responding to now. Coaches like Phil Fulmer who told there players everything was ok when they made a mistake or a bad play are a thing of the past just look where it got him.

I agree with players being called out for mental mistakes or not playing to thier potential, like I said a fine line of pushing the player to the limit to get the most out of them... calling them out for error's and mistakes is ok.... but for example watched a girl's soccer game in Murfreesboro ball went out of bounds and the players lined up and prepared for the goalie to kick the ball back in play. The coach was screaming to his players they didn't know what they were doing and they needed to line up to defend the goal and play defense. It was comical at first as the Ref set the match back in play and the players were correct. but He wasn't smart enough to admit he was wrong and apologize... At half time the players were complaining about being called stupid and not having the knowledge to play the game.... they lost and I watch two of his best players turn thier equipment and jerseys in as soon as the game was over....it's amazing what you hear when you have on a ref's uniform....

Back when I played the coach would grab you by the facemask and twist you around like you were a top. slap you upside the head even had one go one on one without pads just to prove his point. Had a crazy basketball coach who would pull his belt off and whip you like you were his kid... It worked for me but I think very few kids this day in age would or could take the abuse.

there is a great article in sports illustrated about the toughest coach there ever was Bull Sullivan, it was written back in the 80's by Frank Deford (sp)... I was coached in college by one of the QB's who played for this guy, toughest few years of my life but the guy was so good you would kill yourself just to get his praise... Inspirational leader and a motivator. I met a few coaches who ranked up there with him but only a few....

like I said yesterday you have alot of potential, great character and appear to well on your way... good luck in the sports profession... hope to meet you one day. until then i will keep up with your posts.

I would love to meet up with you, we could have some good talks on where we agree and disagree. Another example I thought of is Thomas McCdaniel at Oakland this season, last year Oakland is 3-7 old coach with old style players not responsive less than 50 players at a school with an enrollment of 1800. His first year 14-1 state champs over 100 players. He was hired for his young enthusastic style and it worked. Some coaches do take it to the extreme, but i do believe a coach should be able to critize a player in a coaching way without that player quiting or throwing a big fuss. Have you heard of any plans to improve football facilities before next season?

Well, for starters I guess all of you think I am Coach Bartsch. Guess what??? You are wrong. Just like you are wrong about everything else. I find it amusing that a grown man put his son up to downing the head coach online. If he was a real man and coach he wouldn't air dirty laundry online like a previous post said. Grow up Ex-Cannon County Defensive Coordinator and tell your son to quit doing your dirty work.

I will post some more later about football, but for now I must watch this National Championship Game.

Well, for starters I guess all of you think I am Coach Bartsch. Guess what??? You are wrong. Just like you are wrong about everything else. I find it amusing that a grown man put his son up to downing the head coach online. If he was a real man and coach he wouldn't air dirty laundry online like a previous post said. Grow up Ex-Cannon County Defensive Coordinator and tell your son to quit doing your dirty work.

I will post some more later about football, but for now I must watch this National Championship Game.

That is very true, that is the very reason why it is hard to keep coaches at Cannon Co. people doing things like that. If you arent happy with the team, then volunteer to help instead of grumbling abd critizing.

hey don't be to rough, remember for the most part I support the coach and what he did with this year's team....I just don't understand getting rid of the "D" coordinator... the guy was good. But who knows what goes on in that half finished field house????

There was no roughness to it. I ain't Bartsch. That was the statement. Period. If you would notice the times when I posted during the season sometimes I posted here during team workouts and practices. The person saying I am Bartsch was simply put up to that by the ex D coach.