CPA - Clarksville

CPA4Ever

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't make the game and I saw where CPA lost by 1. Box score was not in the Tennessean today. How did the game play out? Is Clarksville good or CPA played bad? Did Z play? If so, what were his stats?

Z did not play, doctors orders, and will play his first game tuesday at Father Ryan.

As for the game, CPA led throughout the whole game by 8-15 points and the outcome never seemed in doubt until the last 2 minutes when Clarksville hit a few 3's and got a pair of and-1's and made the free throws. On CPA's last few possessions, Clarksville was forced to foul and Miller missed the front end of a 1 and 1, and on CPA's next possession Chapman did the same, on CPA's last possession, up by 2, Miller made 1 of 2 free throws. Then with a handful of seconds left Clarksville inbounded from the side and #2 shot a turn-around jumper from the top of the key, missed, but a foul was called. He knocked down both free throws and the game was called even though there appeared to be at least 1 second left when the whistle was blown. (The score/clock keeper made a lot of mistakes throughout the game.)

CPA seemed to play very tired and casual throughout most of the second half and this was made obvious by the tough defense that Clarksville was playing with. Clarksville had I think 8 players, and by the look test they didn't seem like a real threat before the game started. #2 was their best player, a real lanky guard, but had a very sweet shot. Zelenik was the biggest kid on the court but Clarksville's post, on the short side but really strong, did a lot of damage to CPA on the inside.

Of course CPA is not the same without Z, and the outcome of this game would not have been the same if he had been playing. Clarksville was able to focus on Miller and force him to take tough shots. CPA had a lot of great looks at 3's that didn't fall. Anderson had a great game for CPA doing his usual: taking charges, drawing fouls, and hitting some big 3's.

Congratulations to Clarksville for beating one of the best teams in AA. I think any worry that CPA has after losing this one will quickly vanish when Z gets back on the court.

Thanks, Matt,

I have seen CPA play twice and I am not panicking, but they do not look like they have upgraded their #4,5 starters or even the bench. Chapman is an upgrade at point, but they appear to have not replaced the seniors with equal inside play. Zelenik seems very slow, and they have no inside players off the bench other than Zelenik. Miller is very good, but has not shot that well in the games I saw. Anderson looks much improved and is playing better inside this year.

Of course, Mason changes everything. It prevents defenses from pressuring Miller, and allows everyone to overplay on defense with him waiting in the paint. He will need a few games to get his shot back. I just hope he plays hard this year. They will need that to make noise in the tourney.

The District will be tough, with DL and Hume Fogg going to be very good. And there are some great teams across the state. Everyone expects CPA to go back to Murfreesboro. I think they can, but it will not be easy. I hope they haven't read too many press clippings.

Thanks, Matt,

I have seen CPA play twice and I am not panicking, but they do not look like they have upgraded their #4,5 starters or even the bench. Chapman is an upgrade at point, but they appear to have not replaced the seniors with equal inside play. Zelenik seems very slow, and they have no inside players off the bench other than Zelenik. Miller is very good, but has not shot that well in the games I saw. Anderson looks much improved and is playing better inside this year.

Of course, Mason changes everything. It prevents defenses from pressuring Miller, and allows everyone to overplay on defense with him waiting in the paint. He will need a few games to get his shot back. I just hope he plays hard this year. They will need that to make noise in the tourney.

The District will be tough, with DL and Hume Fogg going to be very good. And there are some great teams across the state. Everyone expects CPA to go back to Murfreesboro. I think they can, but it will not be easy. I hope they haven't read too many press clippings.

When Z gets back, EVERYTHING will change but I think you are right about the depth issue. The 4 and 5 seniors last year, Reeves and Peterson, were both 6'3" with solid skills inside and out and the ability to create on both ends of the floor. You put those two with Z, Miller, & Anderson and you had, in my opinion, the best team in AA last year. The TSSAA refs decided that would not be the case at the State Tournament.

The past is the past. Looking ahead, what CPA must have is other players willing and able to "create" more scoring opportunities for Z, Miller, & Anderson. Miller will not be able to do everything off the dribble and by mid season everyone will be coming at him. If I coached against him I'd just go ahead and put two guys on him and make the others beat me. That might not even stop him. He's that good!! Z and Zelnick in the game at the same time. That may be the ticket on some nights. No depth for either post player is a tough situation though. Foul trouble will be, as always, the enemy of this team.

Regarding the 4 and 5 spots, it will be the guys who can knock down the big threes that will prevail. With teams doubling up on Miller and Z........Anderson and another guard will win the games that Z doesn't control. The corner three will be important. Chapman can score from there, Taylor, and Akers. Watch for freshmen, Taylor Akers. He may surprise everyone by mid season. Very skilled, just young.

I wish the CPA fans would quit crying about last season. Give a little credit to Clarksville for beating CPA as well. Clarksville was waxed by Franklin and Beech, and then beat CPA, which everybody thought was a surprise. Ted Young at Calrksville is a very good coach.

No crying here. Like I said, the past is the past. Clarksville gets credit for beating a good CPA team without its main post player. With Z in that game, you likely have a much different outcome. But no matter, Z was not in the game and Clarksville won. Good for them. Way to go. That's a good "W" to get. They hit free throws when it mattered the most!!

well dang dont get too upset that your team lost i mean its the begining of the season and what the people are saying is right. CHS has a good coach and out coached yall towards the end

First, no one's upset. I said, good for CHS. They won.

Drew Maddux can't shoot free throws for the guys and he can't play Z when the doc says no. To say he got out coached is a bit of a stretch. From what I've seen, that is highly unlikely, but possible. To quote a friend, "I guess we'll just wait and see".

What are you TN Tradition? The coach's agent? Let it go, you lost a game shoudn't have. I thought the Zelnick kid was supposed to help a bunch once he got recruited away from Franklin?

No, Drew can handle it without me. I'm just someone who has watched him play (an All SEC player) at Vandy and watched him coach CPA to a District, Regional and Sub-State title. I believe he's a good find. A guy who's not perfect but who's about all the right things when it comes to his players. That's not saying there aren't other great coaches in the state. Of course there are.

Zelnick? He wasn't recruited. What a ridiculous, but predictable, thing to say. His parents decided to send him to a different school. He's a guy with a great shot and spends every waking moment in the gym most of the year. He will have a major impact on the CPA season. You may have just awakened the giant.