CPA - Clarksville

CPA4Ever

No, Drew can handle it without me. I'm just someone who has watched him play (an All SEC player) at Vandy and watched him coach CPA to a District, Regional and Sub-State title. I believe he's a good find. A guy who's not perfect but who's about all the right things when it comes to his players. That's not saying there aren't other great coaches in the state. Of course there are.

Zelnick? He wasn't recruited. What a ridiculous, but predictable, thing to say. His parents decided to send him to a different school. He's a guy with a great shot and spends every waking moment in the gym most of the year. He will have a major impact on the CPA season. You may have just awakened the giant.

Predictable? There are also rumors of a brentwood kid transferring to CPA, I believe some more Franklin kids are lions now as well, not just in basketball.

I know who Drew Maddux is, I saw him and Ron Mercer lose a tough state championship game to BGA during his high school days. I saw him play at Vandy. I don't need to be preached to about who Drew is.

Awakened the Giant? I was just asking about a kid who transfered from Franklin's program to CPA's. I was expecting to see bigger numbers in the score book, sorry if that hurt your feelings.

How were the refs at the Clarksville game? Heard people were not happy?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Predictable? There are also rumors of a brentwood kid transferring to CPA, I believe some more Franklin kids are lions now as well, not just in basketball.

I know who Drew Maddux is, I saw him and Ron Mercer lose a tough state championship game to BGA during his high school days. I saw him play at Vandy. I don't need to be preached to about who Drew is.

Awakened the Giant? I was just asking about a kid who transfered from Franklin's program to CPA's. I was expecting to see bigger numbers in the score book, sorry if that hurt your feelings.

Kids transfer to and from schools every year, and it should not be a surprise that some of them play sports. A good coach and a successful program will draw players who want to be a part of it, we see that everywhere in all sports. And honestly, CPA has lost more key athletes in the last 3-4 years than they have gained through transfers. If CPA was a D2 school, they would recruit, and IMO they would be competitive on a national level in basketball. John Jenkins wanted to come to CPA as a sophomore to play with his AAU buddies, Miller and Mason, but it did not work out for his family financially. In addition, a few other players from their AAU team who currently play for Ensworth would likely be at CPA if CPA could offer financial aid for athletes. While I would love to see what a team like that could do, I am actually thankful that is not the case. This way, the heart and soul of the team, and almost all of the key players have been at CPA since kindergarden: Miller, Anderson, Chapman, Taylor, Ellson, among others. Z came to CPA in 7th grade because his mom wanted him in a better environment, and to get a better education. CPA has 3 new players this year, 2 sophomores, 1 who is ineligible who will probably see some minutes in future years but is no star, and one who is a football player playing basketball for the first time, on JV. The third is a 5'5'' junior gaurd who will see very limited minutes this season. It is truly ridiculous to think that CPA recruits if you know anything about the school. Zelenik, a borderline starter, transfered last year and is the only other transfer player that CPA has on their team. And as I've said before, if CPA recruits, then they are really bad at it. CPA's success is built on great coaching, hard work, and players who have played together and have been friends since their church league days in 2nd grade. Sure that is not ALL that their team is comprised of, but if a player wants to come to CPA, pay tuition, and play basketball, whose gonna stop them?

As for the refs at the Clarksville game, they were OK. The foul at the end might have been a foul but if it was it wasn't much, and there is kind of an unwritten rule on every level of basketball that you don't call a shooting foul in those situations unless it truly alters the shot, and games should not be decided on free throws with no time on the clock. If he had made the shot, there would be no issue. The score/time keeper made many mistakes during the game, including in the final seconds. But there are no excuses for CPA, if they had won the battles of offensive rebounds and free throw they would have walked away with an easy W.

Yeah, whoever says CPA recruits is an idiot, because they obviously don't. As for the refs, it was a very questionable call at the end of the game. You usually don't call those little fouls like that in a big situation. CPA should have made free throws and done the little things well. I look for big things for CPA this season.

Yes, predictable. We've heard this all before. Not all kids that go to private schools (and happen to be atheletes) are recruited. It's ridiculous to even go there. I wasn't preaching about Drew Maddux. I stated that I thought he was a "good find" based on what I've seen in the past from him. I'm not surprised that you would bring up one of the few games that he and Ron Mercer actually lost in High School. There weren't many.

Hurt feelings? No, not on this end. The player you "asked" about is a very solid athelete that will play an important role on this team even if you don't think his "numbers" are where they should be. You may have to look at "other" numbers to see his real impact. He is a giant and I do hope you awaken him.

I just wish there could be more peace and harmony on these boards. Sometimes it just pains me to read some of these posts. Lets just settle these issues on the court and leave the recruiting talks for another topic! With that said congrats to Clarksville on the win. I was not able to be there but I heard it was a tough fought game.

PS. Its great to be a new member of Coacht. I look forward to discussing future game with all of yall!