Coaches and learning

SCHS2008

I live in sevier county.. i wish to become a high school football teacher but even more a coach.. im a freshman in college and am lookin 4 some practices by schools within the area and coaches 2 learn from... i wood like a wide variety of offenses, defenses, special teams, strength and conditioning, and coaching styles. i have learnt from coach brewer at SCHS all thru high school were i played... thank u 4 responses

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a local middle school to volunteer with for a couple of years. You will learn the meaning of the word assume and you will learn the value of teaching fundamentals over and over. Learn to teach the fundamentals and you won't have to worry about experience in a lot of systems. You have to block and tackle no matter what you are doing. Strength programs= lineman need to be strong and powerful in the middle, Skill people need to be explosive. They both need to do power cleans. Find someone to teach you how to teach power cleans. It is not a "muscle lift" it is an athletic explosion lift.

It may help to go to some coaches clinics. I know our head coach and the school pay for the coaches to attend various clinics, normally one per yer. We have went to the Big East clinic, the Tennessee one, and one associated with Nike last year. You will learn trust me. I have been coaching for over 17 years and I always can take something from clinics and out it to good use. Also, form and earlier thread... beethoven suggested volunteering your time. Look for some high schools and just ask. You will have to work your way up, but everyone who is anything in this field has done just that.

It may help to go to some coaches clinics. I know our head coach and the school pay for the coaches to attend various clinics, normally one per yer. We have went to the Big East clinic, the Tennessee one, and one associated with Nike last year. You will learn trust me. I have been coaching for over 17 years and I always can take something from clinics and out it to good use. Also, form and earlier thread... beethoven suggested volunteering your time. Look for some high schools and just ask. You will have to work your way up, but everyone who is anything in this field has done just that.

All the info you've got so far is just what I'd tell you too. I was a coach for years and I saw them come and go. One thing that always seems to be with the good ones is the ability to listen. Don't walk in knowing it all. Listen and reflect. A coach will never really want to hear you say "We used to do it this way." Use your brain to make good decisions. Remember to respect the kids. Try to get inside the brain of the coaches and figure out why they do everything.

Listen, Listen, Listen!

I have been coaching for 6 yrs now and I fell into it. Coaching football was the last thing I ever saw my self doing, but once I started i became addicted now I could not see myself not doing it. How I got involved was through scouting my first year. I was at a city school that did not film their games so we did not get any film so I went to see the next week's opponent and brought back the scouting report. I then went to a program for 4 yrs and became a sponge for both sides of the ball. Now I am continuing to work my way up. I try to learn something new every day in practice from the coaches I work with. You can never know enough in my opinion. Lasty develop a passion for it where you can't wait to hit the practice field.

I can't believe you didn't learn from Coach Brewer you should know more than you are letting on. Or you didn't pay attention when Steve was teaching.

No i was saying i did learn from him and our great staff... but i want 2 broaden my knowledge... the 4 years i went 2 sc we ran i formation and a 335 d except my last year... i learnt alot but u can never no enough

In my opinion, the best thing to do is start out at middle school. I starting coaching middle school when I was a senior in high school. It was the best experience. I started for 3 seasons as a volunteer and then I got a paid assistant job at the same middle school. During that time I got to know the high school coaches and I would help them any way I could. Before the season would start I would talk to the freshman coach and tell him everything I could about the players coming up, they greatly appreciated that. Also when the middle school season ended, I would go up to the high school and just do whatever they needed whether it was helping with special teams or wherever else they needed some help that day. I got to know the coaches better and eventually they offered to take me to clinics with them which is BIG in my opinion. There are tons of stuff to take away from good coaching clinics.

Middle school also teaches you how to actually coach. It's fine to understand the concept of football and maybe you have brilliant football mind but if you can't actually teach people to do what you want, you aren't of much use. In my experience, if you can teach a 12, 13, or 14 year old kid to block and tackle well, you can teach any age to do that. You will learn a lot at this level. This age group also teaches how to be patient and how to work with other coaches. LISTEN to the experienced coaches, they've been there. Don't demand things, offer good suggestions and don't get discouraged or upset off when they don't take your suggestion, it doesn't help. You will also get to know the kids you may eventually be coaching at the high school level which is a big advantage...you won't be meeting kids for the first time and have to learn their behaviors and backgrounds because you know them and their stories.

After a few years, if you do well, you'll get brought up to the high school as a freshman coach or something like that. It won't happen in 1 season though. It's a business where reputation means a lot so get a good one.