CPA at Father Ryan 12-2-08

TNTradition

CPA wins by 11 tonight against a very tough and well coached Father Ryan team. In fact, Father Ryan gets credit for being very quick defensively and very strong inside. #24 is nothing but pure speed for Father Ryan and defended Miller as well as he can be defended. CPA's Z Mason showed why he was a Mr. Basketball finalist last year. At least four threes for the big man tonight and most of the points.

Tonight was a good example of what CPA will see this year. Miller saw the double team and some mugging out front and Father Ryan's post player could not guard Z out on the perimeter. Anderson had his usual smart game with several heads up plays. Zelenick started and had an excellent showing. He's only going to get better. Chapman took care of the ball which was no small effort. CPA handled the scrappy def from Father Ryan and came away with a big win. Same margin as last year.

Nice job from Drew Maddux going to the zone against the big man for Father Ryan (who is excellent and headed for Princeton next year). It worked.

Watch out DII for Father Ryan. You've got your hands full!

My observations:

- Miller had as cold a shooting night as I have ever seen him. They played pretty good D on him, but he will see that all year. He couldn't drive because of FR's big men inside picking him up. I think it was more of him just having a bad night than great defense. At least I hope so.

- If Mason had not been hot, CPA would have lost. It is amazing that he is the one who has been playing football and has his shot, while the others do nothing but basketball 12 months a year and are cold from the field.

- I have seen CPA play 3 games, and their FT shooting bothers me, and will hurt them down the road if they don't correct it.

- CPA should have played matchup zone the whole game, denying the pass to the big men in the lane. Almost all of FR's points came on layups from the big guy and from #32 who posted up against smaller CPA players. They never convinced me that they could hit well enough from the outside to win. We should have made them take the outside shot all night.

- My question is: against a quick defensive team, where will CPA get points other than Miller and Mason, and if Miller goes cold (like he did tonight), points will be hard to come by.

- Refs were pretty bad (for both sides), missing some very obvious calls, and calling some tic tac fouls for no reason.

One thing for sure - it is good to see Mason back on the floor.

"- My question is: against a quick defensive team, where will CPA get points other than Miller and Mason, and if Miller goes cold (like he did tonight), points will be hard to come by."

First off, Miller usually never goes cold. And the answer to your question is David Anderson. I think he averages like 12 a game.

That better be one really quick and good defensive team in order to give CPA that much trouble.

"- My question is: against a quick defensive team, where will CPA get points other than Miller and Mason, and if Miller goes cold (like he did tonight), points will be hard to come by."

First off, Miller usually never goes cold. And the answer to your question is David Anderson. I think he averages like 12 a game.

That better be one really quick and good defensive team in order to give CPA that much trouble.

First of all, please understand. You will not find a bigger CPA fan than me, but I don't post on CoachT to just hype a team or trash talk an opponent. I like to analyze teams and games, and try to be realistic.

Miller is a great HS player, but he does have off nights, especially when he is defended well by a quick athlete and has trouble driving the lane because big men are waiting for him in the paint. And he will always take a lot of shots.

Anderson is an incredibly savvy player, and does so many little things in a game, you don't realize how much he does without the ball. He can score (and usually does), but not off the dribble. He scores either from 3 or by outquicking and losing his man and getting underneath the basket, or from steals.

CPA basically has 3 players who can create a shot. Last year they had 4 (Reeves). Chapman is a good shooter, but you have to help get him open. Zelenik has skills, but has not played very well so far this year, and is not quick, so has, and will have trouble with a quick defender. He also gets in foul trouble.

The top teams in CPA's division in the state win on quickness and pressure, and there are several of them. CPA has a good shot at winning it all this year, and the year is early, so I am not down on them. But, against good teams, Miller and Mason will have to shoot well, or they will struggle.

It will be interesting to see how they develop.

Big win last night for the CPA Lions. It was great to see Z back on the court dominating. However, I would love to see CPA create some more turnovers and get some quick and easy points. I think that is when CPA is at their best. I would also like to see some more post presence. Because when Z goes out there is little depth there. Overall great win and we will only get better from here on out.

My observations:

- Miller had as cold a shooting night as I have ever seen him. They played pretty good D on him, but he will see that all year. He couldn't drive because of FR's big men inside picking him up. I think it was more of him just having a bad night than great defense. At least I hope so.

- If Mason had not been hot, CPA would have lost. It is amazing that he is the one who has been playing football and has his shot, while the others do nothing but basketball 12 months a year and are cold from the field.

- I have seen CPA play 3 games, and their FT shooting bothers me, and will hurt them down the road if they don't correct it.

- CPA should have played matchup zone the whole game, denying the pass to the big men in the lane. Almost all of FR's points came on layups from the big guy and from #32 who posted up against smaller CPA players. They never convinced me that they could hit well enough from the outside to win. We should have made them take the outside shot all night.

- My question is: against a quick defensive team, where will CPA get points other than Miller and Mason, and if Miller goes cold (like he did tonight), points will be hard to come by.

- Refs were pretty bad (for both sides), missing some very obvious calls, and calling some tic tac fouls for no reason.

I agree with this. Great to have Z back. As I said, that changes everything. Miller is going to shoot and the fact is, most of the time, that pays off. He looked a little uncomfortable last night and forced some shots that should have been passes. Miller will have to prepare himself for a year of this kind of defense. Everyone know about him and knows he can go for 30 on any given night. I didn't see the usual relaxed game that Z, Miller and Anderson usually play. A match up zone is what it took last night but I think you have to give the man to man a shot first since CPA has created so many turnovers from it in the past. You're right though, all the points came from Father Ryan's post game. They didn't look like great shooters from the outside.

Anderson must shoot well (and he has) to lift this team to the state level again. It's going to be the 4 & 5 slots that will continue to be question marks early on. I like seeing Z and Zelenick on the floor at the same time but you certainly can get in foul trouble quick with that lineup. CPA will win many games just like you saw last night. Z will overpower most teams while Miller and Anderson will have their normal performances most of the time. They've been consistent for years as a group.

First of all, please understand. You will not find a bigger CPA fan than me, but I don't post on CoachT to just hype a team or trash talk an opponent. I like to analyze teams and games, and try to be realistic.

Miller is a great HS player, but he does have off nights, especially when he is defended well by a quick athlete and has trouble driving the lane because big men are waiting for him in the paint. And he will always take a lot of shots.

Anderson is an incredibly savvy player, and does so many little things in a game, you don't realize how much he does without the ball. He can score (and usually does), but not off the dribble. He scores either from 3 or by outquicking and losing his man and getting underneath the basket, or from steals.

CPA basically has 3 players who can create a shot. Last year they had 4 (Reeves). Chapman is a good shooter, but you have to help get him open. Zelenik has skills, but has not played very well so far this year, and is not quick, so has, and will have trouble with a quick defender. He also gets in foul trouble.

The top teams in CPA's division in the state win on quickness and pressure, and there are several of them. CPA has a good shot at winning it all this year, and the year is early, so I am not down on them. But, against good teams, Miller and Mason will have to shoot well, or they will struggle.

It will be interesting to see how they develop.

Agreed, good points

My observations:

The difference is, the ones working on basketball 12 months a year are doing it under Drew.