Lebanon High School- New Building?

PHargis

Hardaway says it can build new LHS for less

Thursday, December 4, 2008

From Post staff reports

Hardaway Construction has advised officials of county government in writing that it will build the proposed new Lebanon High School for an amount substantially less than the price submitted by a competitive company that has been favored by the Wilson County Board of Education.

In a letter addressed to Wilson County Director of Schools Mike Davis, John Sloan, executive vice president of Hardaway Construction Corp., declared that his company will build the proposed school ???based on a list of changes that makes this project comparable in design, quality and function to the new Mt. Juliet High School??? for a guaranteed maximum price of $48,511,999, or $612,993 less than the amount submitted by Hewlett-Spencer.

Sloan adds that if the county decides to ???delete the geothermal system, and the related mezzanines??? as once proposed by Hewlett-Spencer, his company??™s price tag for the project would be dropped to $46,701,765 or almost a million dollars less than the cost posted by Hewlett-Spencer for the amended project.

Hewlett-Spencer was recommended by the school board on a 3-1 vote Monday to be awarded the contract for the construction of the new school despite a continuing controversy surrounding the bid process in which four construction companies, including Hardaway, were told to bid on specifications as submitted and Hewlett-Spencer was allowed to submit a bid based on a number specification changes.

Among the changes on which Hewlett-Spencer based its bid were a reduction in the size of the structure, a removal of some of the lighting, the substitution of certain materials regarded as less expensive for a portion of the flooring and other changes to include the removal of a requirement in the specifications for geothermal heating and cooling, an expensive alternative to conventional systems.

Hardaway and other contractors participating in the bid process cried foul saying that the bid procedure was not conducted fairly and that Hewlett-Spencer was given an unfair advantage when it was allowed to change the plans for the building while they were required to bid on the specifications as prescribed by the architects.

Nonetheless the school board favored Hewlett-Spencer at its meeting Monday night with only board member Lisa McMillin voting in opposition.

Hardaway??™s latest move now conflicts the matter even more as now Hardaway is being positioned with a bid lower than Hewlett-Spencer??™s. When bids were opened initially, Hardaway??™s bid was the lowest among the contractors who submitted bids based on the guidelines set out in the bid process.

Sloan tells county officials in his letter that ???Since the bid documents did not offer a means for us to provide value engineering althernates at the time of our bid, we are now providing a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) for your consideration.

???We realize that the School Board has verbally recommended that this project be awarded to Hewlett-Spencer, pending approval of financing, based on their proposal for a significantly reduced scope of work than was included in the bid documents for this project. It is unfortunate for the bidders of this project, and the Citizens of Wilson County, that the School Board chose to invite only one firm (Hewlett-Spencer) to provide a GMP proposal, giving them the freedom to make significant design changes; while other bidders were instructed, by the bid documents, to bid this school project exactly as designed.???

Sloan concludes his letter requesting a meeting with the school board and an opportunity to present ???an itemized list of changes??? for the new school as proposed by Hardaway Construction.

Lebanon High School, a tradition in Middle Tennessee fro many years, has been targeted for a new school for some time. It seems everything has gotten in its way and the school continues to be patched and painted over and now, from one of the Lebanon Newspapers, comes word that there is a possibility of letting a contract for rebuilding a much needed facility for a school whose Sports Tradition covers many years. It is getting closer and I'm sure the students and patrons of the school are proud of the step forward. Above is information about the progress.

For those of you who don't know, the Gym at LHS is one full of memories and houses Boys and girls Basketball and Volleyball. One can only visit the facility and get an idea of the events that have transpired just in the past 25 years. But while the events echo thru the old facility, it is full of bumps and brusies, wear and tear and a low battered ceiling that is generally a hallmark of the old facility for 7AAA. 7AAA will not see the new facility as a District for the school will take some time to build but I'm sure they will all congradulate the school when its built and hope to be invited back to "Try Out" the new facility and look at the new school. It's certainly a step forward and one the Fans and Alumni of Lebanon can be proud of when the bid is let.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that Hewlett-Spencer has the political inside track. Any cousins or in-laws involved?

My opinion is: Go With the designers spects. Their advice is already paid for.

Change orders get verrrry costly.

Maybe put in extra conduit for electronic additions, but get the most square foot for the buck.

Hardaway says it can build new LHS for less

Thursday, December 4, 2008

From Post staff reports

Hardaway Construction has advised officials of county government in writing that it will build the proposed new Lebanon High School for an amount substantially less than the price submitted by a competitive company that has been favored by the Wilson County Board of Education.

In a letter addressed to Wilson County Director of Schools Mike Davis, John Sloan, executive vice president of Hardaway Construction Corp., declared that his company will build the proposed school ???based on a list of changes that makes this project comparable in design, quality and function to the new Mt. Juliet High School??? for a guaranteed maximum price of $48,511,999, or $612,993 less than the amount submitted by Hewlett-Spencer.

Sloan adds that if the county decides to ???delete the geothermal system, and the related mezzanines??? as once proposed by Hewlett-Spencer, his company??™s price tag for the project would be dropped to $46,701,765 or almost a million dollars less than the cost posted by Hewlett-Spencer for the amended project.

Hewlett-Spencer was recommended by the school board on a 3-1 vote Monday to be awarded the contract for the construction of the new school despite a continuing controversy surrounding the bid process in which four construction companies, including Hardaway, were told to bid on specifications as submitted and Hewlett-Spencer was allowed to submit a bid based on a number specification changes.

Among the changes on which Hewlett-Spencer based its bid were a reduction in the size of the structure, a removal of some of the lighting, the substitution of certain materials regarded as less expensive for a portion of the flooring and other changes to include the removal of a requirement in the specifications for geothermal heating and cooling, an expensive alternative to conventional systems.

Hardaway and other contractors participating in the bid process cried foul saying that the bid procedure was not conducted fairly and that Hewlett-Spencer was given an unfair advantage when it was allowed to change the plans for the building while they were required to bid on the specifications as prescribed by the architects.

Nonetheless the school board favored Hewlett-Spencer at its meeting Monday night with only board member Lisa McMillin voting in opposition.

Hardaway??™s latest move now conflicts the matter even more as now Hardaway is being positioned with a bid lower than Hewlett-Spencer??™s. When bids were opened initially, Hardaway??™s bid was the lowest among the contractors who submitted bids based on the guidelines set out in the bid process.

Sloan tells county officials in his letter that ???Since the bid documents did not offer a means for us to provide value engineering althernates at the time of our bid, we are now providing a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) for your consideration.

???We realize that the School Board has verbally recommended that this project be awarded to Hewlett-Spencer, pending approval of financing, based on their proposal for a significantly reduced scope of work than was included in the bid documents for this project. It is unfortunate for the bidders of this project, and the Citizens of Wilson County, that the School Board chose to invite only one firm (Hewlett-Spencer) to provide a GMP proposal, giving them the freedom to make significant design changes; while other bidders were instructed, by the bid documents, to bid this school project exactly as designed.???

Sloan concludes his letter requesting a meeting with the school board and an opportunity to present ???an itemized list of changes??? for the new school as proposed by Hardaway Construction.

Lebanon High School, a tradition in Middle Tennessee fro many years, has been targeted for a new school for some time. It seems everything has gotten in its way and the school continues to be patched and painted over and now, from one of the Lebanon Newspapers, comes word that there is a possibility of letting a contract for rebuilding a much needed facility for a school whose Sports Tradition covers many years. It is getting closer and I'm sure the students and patrons of the school are proud of the step forward. Above is information about the progress.

For those of you who don't know, the Gym at LHS is one full of memories and houses Boys and girls Basketball and Volleyball. One can only visit the facility and get an idea of the events that have transpired just in the past 25 years. But while the events echo thru the old facility, it is full of bumps and brusies, wear and tear and a low battered ceiling that is generally a hallmark of the old facility for 7AAA. 7AAA will not see the new facility as a District for the school will take some time to build but I'm sure they will all congradulate the school when its built and hope to be invited back to "Try Out" the new facility and look at the new school. It's certainly a step forward and one the Fans and Alumni of Lebanon can be proud of when the bid is let.

PHARGIS,THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY THE OTHER DAY.I ALWAYS ENJOY READING YOUR POST.YOU NEED TO COME TO LEBANON MORE OFTEN AND WATCH SOME GAMES,ALOT OF FUN!THE NEW SCHOOL NEEDS TO BE BUILT FOR MANY REASONS,THE NUMBER ONE REASON BEING SAFETY FOR THE KIDS,THE SCHOOL NOW COULD REALLY BE A FIRE TRAP,VERY SMALL HALLWAYS.SECOND,THE KIDS DESERVE BETTER AND IT WILL BE SOMETHING ELSE OUR CITIZENS CAN BE PROUD OF.THIRD,WE WILL STOP LOSING STRONG STUDENTS AND GREAT ATHLETES WHO WANT TO GO TO A NICE AND NEW SCHOOL,SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF.WE WILL BE KEEPING AN EYE ON HOW OUR COMMISSIONERS VOTE!!!!THE KIDS WILL WANT TO DO BETTER AT EVERYTHING IF THEY ARE IN A PLACE THEY CAN BE PROUD OF.THE TIME IS NOW BEFORE WE LOSE MORE STUDENT/ATHLETES,GOOD ONES.

The last time I looked, there were two names on that gym.

i thought the floor was named after gibbs or somthing i really dont know and i appologize. I have just always known the gym to be named after my mentor's father Coach Brandon. Since my dad left WJB middle i havent been to many games at LHS i actually havent been back to that gym sinced hutto left. i have always seen the blue on the road. Wilson county really needs to give LHS a new not just for athletics educational purposes to.

i thought the floor was named after gibbs or somthing i really dont know and i appologize. I have just always known the gym to be named after my mentor's father Coach Brandon. Since my dad left WJB middle i havent been to many games at LHS i actually havent been back to that gym sinced hutto left. i have always seen the blue on the road. Wilson county really needs to give LHS a new not just for athletics educational purposes to.

I guess, with the group coming on this thread from LHS, you have many memories about the High School and games and events held in the old gym. What are some of the best times you can remember about wins or events there? There has to be many.

BC, appreciate the information and could you enlighten us on who Hester Gibbs was. We know who Brandon is.

TSSAA Hall of Fame

Category: Coach

Birth: October 6, 1937

Teacher/Coach 31 years (Lebanon HS)...coached football, baseball, basketball, and

golf...won 500 games in basketball...made 3 TSSAA State Basketball Tournament

appearances (1969, 1972, 1985)...served as a TSSAA official for 44 years...named

the Tennessean Mid-State Basketball Coach of the Year 3 times...the gymnasium floor

at Lebanon High School is named the ???Hester Gibbs Court???in his honor.

TSSAA Hall of Fame

Category: Coach

Birth: October 6, 1937

Teacher/Coach 31 years (Lebanon HS)...coached football, baseball, basketball, and

golf...won 500 games in basketball...made 3 TSSAA State Basketball Tournament

appearances (1969, 1972, 1985)...served as a TSSAA official for 44 years...named

the Tennessean Mid-State Basketball Coach of the Year 3 times...the gymnasium floor

at Lebanon High School is named the ???Hester Gibbs Court???in his honor.

i appreciate the information on Coach Gibbs and didn't know, for some reason, that he was in the TSSAA Hall of Fame but I should have. Coach Gibbs legend carries the history of the gym bck to about 1970 and was an important part of the school. do you happen to remember any of the players Coach Gibbs had that were of note?