iPod friendly

Printer friendly

More High School

Volunteer high school coach plans to plead not guilty in friend's death

Moore quick to share credit

CAK swimmer Zaczyk to sign with Tennessee

Share and Enjoy [?]

Get Reprints

Want to use this article? Click here for options! Farragut High School junior Kylann Scheidt isn't afraid to set high goals for her volleyball future.

"I hope to play in the Olympics," Scheidt said.

Don't count her out.

Scheidt, the News Sentinel's 2008 PrepXtra Player of the Year, has verbally committed to play for the University of Tennessee, and she will go to Chula Vista, Calif., during the Christmas break to train with the United States Junior National Team.

There is a downside to the trip for Scheidt, a starting forward on the Lady Admirals basketball team.

"I'll have to miss our Christmas tournament," she said. "I'm sad about that, but I'm really excited about going to California."

Scheidt, who is being recruited by UT as a setter, is an all-court player for the Lady Admirals, who went 48-7 and reached the Class AAA state tournament this season.

She also played middle blocker and outside hitter, and with her running jump-serve had 89 aces.

Is she satisfied? Not hardly.

"There's always room to improve," Scheidt said. "I don't think I've reached my fullest (potential) yet. I'm glad I haven't."

When Scheidt arrived at Farragut as a transfer from Nebraska in late summer 2007, Farragut coach David Moore had already taken the Lady Admirals to their first team camp.

Scheidt, who came from North High School in Firth, Neb., outside Lincoln, was on the roster for Farragut's second team camp.

"It didn't take us long to figure out she was pretty special," Moore said. "She went to our second camp, and it was like, 'We'll let her play some junior varsity and work her in (to varsity) pretty quickly.' "

Moore was pleased with Scheidt's reaction to playing JV when she arrived.

"She's a wonderful young lady," Moore said. "She accepted the role we put her in and we got her where she needed to be pretty quickly."

Scheidt, meanwhile, made the adjustment to her new home in Tennessee. Her previous high school was much smaller than Farragut; there were about 125 students in her class in Nebraska.

It's not always easy for a student to transfer while in high school, but Scheidt made the best of it.

"It wasn't too bad," she said. "It helped being in volleyball and basketball. I knew people when I was walking through the halls."

Scheidt plans to continue playing basketball through high school - she says UT has been OK with it - and is surprised when people ask her about playing both sports at Farragut.

Her response: lots of people play volleyball and basketball in Nebraska.

"I've played both sports all my life," Scheidt said, "and I don't see why quitting one of them would make any difference."

i'm just wondering why do so many people disagree with a high school student athlete playing more than one sport?

Thats a good question. I don't think a lot of people do except sometimes a coach. You should be able to do what you think you can handle. But if your coach thinks you can't handle it he might discourage it. it's up to you.

Announcements