Tri-County Seven

krichunaka

Last night is the most glaring example yet of the Unaka Dilemma:

From what we've seen to date, Unaka is at least as talented as any

of the seven teams - - their length at post (Winters-Lowe) on par

with the area's best. Natalie Johnson is at times, incredible at point;

Kaleigh Elsea is having a very good senior season. And, the Lady

Rangers held Unicoi County's potent offense to thirty-three points, to

include ten, fourth-quarter free-throws.

Glenn Fisher took a lesser-talented team, kept them composed, and,

coupled with the typically great Lady Blue Devils defense, scored just

enough to complete the methodical comeback.

Twenty-one-to-nine at the half! And in Erwin? A great first half of

basketball by Unaka.

The Blue Devils won the third, 12-to-four, and then the heart-breaking

fourth, 12-to-two.

The Lady Rangers obviously had their chances, but appeared a little

nervous and fatigued. Multiple turnovers really hurt, especially in the

final minutes, as Unaka tried to hold the ball. And, there were a couple

missed, open layups and free-throws that contributed to the loss.

Meanwhile, Unicoi County hit ten, fourth-quarter free-throws - - seven in

the final 2:49 - - and a dozen in the second half. Unaka missed a crucial

one-plus-one at 1:08 in the fourth, and two in the third.

No lack of effort by Unaka. Just a few-too-many mental mistakes.

Unaka led until Mikayla Bennett drove from sideline to lane and hit a swinging

jumper and added the free-throw with 54.9 seconds remaining - - - - -

Unicoi County 29 - Unaka 27.

Johnson led Unaka with 10. Kayla Winters scored Unaka's final basket at 6:08.

Winters scored eight points; Elsea scored five; Lowe - four.

Chesnie Cox, Kayla Wilson, and Tayler Nidiffer continue to play well with limited

minutes.

Ali Gardner had 10 for Unicoi County, including a half-dozen free throws in

the final 1:08. Rilie King led the Unicoi County comeback with seven third quarter

points. King totaled 8. Kayla Edwards scored a momentum-building, third-quarter

three; Whitney Webb scored two; Bennett - four; and freshman, Ivory Shelton had

six points and played a very good defensive game.

Krich, how can you honestly say that Fisher took a less talented team and won, or that the lady Rangers are as talented as any of the 7? They may be the better of the bottom 3 but that would be a stretch. They have no scorer after Winters on a consistant basis. I dont know what color the glasses you look through are, but I would have them cleaned. I mean you have them dead last on this weeks poll then say that your number one is less talented with 5 others between the two of them. That makes no sense at all. Make up your mind.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cyclones Fed the Post!!!!!!! The D was smothering!!!!!! Very well prepared!!!!!!

As bad as I hate to agree with AZ, live by the three die by the three. Landers could be very inconsistant this year.

Happy Valley may have their hands full tonight if what I hear was factual after the Unicoi and Unaka game lastnight.

please do tell us what you may have heard

Krich, how can you honestly say that Fisher took a less talented team and won, or that the lady Rangers are as talented as any of the 7? They may be the better of the bottom 3 but that would be a stretch. They have no scorer after Winters on a consistant basis. I dont know what color the glasses you look through are, but I would have them cleaned.

No doubt, you've heard the one about "potential?" However, it's not a

stretch to suggest that Unaka has a top-three-player in at least three,

and eventually four positions:

Kayla Winters is an All-State caliber four who has been recruited at the

Division II level. Rachel Lowe, though absent from the game for nearly two

seasons, is a very capable scorer/rebounder/defender. Natalie Johnson is

having her best season, by far, especially on offense. Same for Kaleigh Elsea.

Consistency, the challenge to fill Tayor Byars' spot and provide much-needed

depth, are the current limiting factors. If the depth is developed by tournament

time, Unaka can challenge for the District and Region Titles.

As you will immediately notice when Unicoi County visits Elizabethton, the

Lady Cyclones will have a major experience and talent advantage. And, Coach

Fisher referred to Unaka as an "extremely talented team." The Lady Rangers

have three returning starters, who finished second in conference last season.

And though she was a great one (Brittany Scott) Unaka lost only one player from

the team that split with Hampton, Cloudland, and North Greene.

Some of us have already discussed Unicoi County's major, returning player, Ali

Gardner. From there, we see a very-promising group of freshmen and sophomores,

who, though very talented, offer limited-to-no varsity experience. Unicoi County lost

Amanda Vanhoy, Lauren Trivette, Paige Barnett (who turned down scholarship offers),

Alicia Mainer (now at Milligan), and others, plus the transfer of Jennifer Edwards. All

this left Coach Fisher with a lot of question-marks. So yes, the talent and experience

advantage belonged to the Lady Rangers, which compares well with Hampton, North

Greene, and Cloudland.

I was told that Unaka's defense looked really well, and a chip shot here or there could have meant defeat for the BlueDevils. This has to make Happy Valley take notice>

Unicoi's style of play sits very well with the Lady Rangers. They are patient on offense which makes for a lower scoring game. Unaka doesn't have the scoring power right now to put up many games with huge numbers. I believe this is what will be the big difference in tonight's game with Happy Valley. The Lady Warriors are pretty good scorers. They are capable of a lot of points from different people. I don't thnk Unaka will be able to match Happy Valley's scoring. Krich, what are you going to do tonight. Both teams are maroon so will you be able to tell them apart with your glasses on? Just wondering....

Unicoi's style of play sits very well with the Lady Rangers. They are patient on offense which makes for a lower scoring game. Unaka doesn't have the scoring power right now to put up many games with huge numbers. I believe this is what will be the big difference in tonight's game with Happy Valley. The Lady Warriors are pretty good scorers. They are capable of a lot of points from different people. I don't thnk Unaka will be able to match Happy Valley's scoring. Krich, what are you going to do tonight. Both teams are maroon so will you be able to tell them apart with your glasses on? Just wondering....

As to the matchup, the Lady Rangers might have a lack of confidence, but they are

definitely not short-handed/outmanned in this one. The biggest challenge will be to

(somewhat) limit Bowling's dribble-drives, while being able to get out and guard the

perimeter. If Kaleigh Elsea hits from the perimeter, Unaka is at least Happy Valley's

equal. Hopefully, it will be a clean, very competitive game.

Much editing due to several name/positon errors on my part.

Kim

Lady Bulldogs lost at Johnson Co. 62-58 tonight.

They are greatly out of sync and have people playing out of position because of the injuries but they also have some people who seem to be "out in left field" so to speak. Will turn it over for no reason, and I look for them to be heading to the bench sometime around or after christmas. Maybe if the Lady Dogs can get healthy they will return to the form that I saw earlier when they were playing really well because right now I don't see ANY team that they can beat.

Lady Bulldogs lost at Johnson Co. 62-58 tonight.

They are greatly out of sync and have people playing out of position because of the injuries but they also have some people who seem to be "out in left field" so to speak. Will turn it over for no reason, and I look for them to be heading to the bench sometime around or after christmas. Maybe if the Lady Dogs can get healthy they will return to the form that I saw earlier when they were playing really well because right now I don't see ANY team that they can beat.

Details later, but for now, Unaka has some very good news for you.

Calling the Lady Rangers out of sync would be quite an understatement.

The mighty Lady Warriors came to Snavely and left no doubt.

Offense. Defense. Rebounding. Free-throw shooting.

And, of course, the Mad Bomber, Courtney Byers, went off on us again.

Back later.

Details later, but for now, Unaka has some very good news for you.

Calling the Lady Rangers out of sync would be quite an understatement.

The mighty Lady Warriors came to Snavely and left no doubt.

Offense. Defense. Rebounding. Free-throw shooting.

And, of course, the Mad Bomber, Courtney Byers, went off on us again.

Back later.

I didn't think the Lady Rangers would be able to match the scoring output by the Lady Warriors. Unaka needs for it to be a lower scoring more controled game to be competitive. Happy Valley has trouble with teams that can score (Central) and teams that have good physical inside games. Again seeing some seperation from the the top four teams with the bottom three of the Tri-County. Hampton might be the only team to regroup and gain some ground. Cloudland showing some weaknessess with their perimeter game and also their inside game. Uncioi and Elizabethton seem to be playing the better basketball of the seven. Johnson County continues to surprise some people but still not ready for the leap to the top tier.

Cloudland has peaked. They are about as good as they can possibly be. When these girls were in grade school, many people predicted them to be the group that brings the gold ball to Cloudland, but the lack of a tall post always worried me and those worries are evident in the highlanders losses.

Cloudland has peaked. They are about as good as they can possibly be. When these girls were in grade school, many people predicted them to be the group that brings the gold ball to Cloudland, but the lack of a tall post always worried me and those worries are evident in the highlanders losses.

Exactly.

And we just got the score:

Mitchell County, N. C. 55

Cloudland - - - - - - - 44

The Lady Highlanders obviously miss - - Miss Tolley. She was a force! And

the year previous, Jessica Mathies and Santana Clawson.

Of course, everyone loses graduates. Elizabethton lost four very good ones last

season, and four more the year before; Pietrowski the Paint Beast still rules court

in Treadway Gym. And given the choice, most any coach will take Inside-Out - -

over Outside-In any day.

Unaka has no lack of height and length; we're just not seeing the ball thrown into the

paint enough. Kayla Winters missed a lot of shots Tuesday night, but bounced back to

have a productive second half, finishing with 13. However, most of her scoring has

originated at the elbow, or even from the perimeter. As Rachel Lowe begins to get more

touches, perhaps we'll see a better paint-job at Unaka. If so, there's still time for a big

turnaround.

Meanwhile, the Lady Warriors were playing what, their seventh game in the past week? So

much for the Unaka fatigue factor. And, regardless of the numerous missed layups by Unaka,

Coach Ben Godsey's Lady Warriors gave a very sound defensive effort, and the offensive

balance was as good as we've seen in quite a while.