New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I will be extremely surprised if Ron Gray is not the next HC at Oak Ridge. Whether you like it or not, that doesn't matter, he has support from key boosters and the AD.

People say he dogged or undermined the program, that's true but he caused no actual damage to the program. Venting frustration to people you know causes no harm. Obviously he said some things out of frustration and bitterness that I know he regrets. He's moved on and so should everyone else, that was 4 years ago. The Stanton Stevens crowd dogged him more than he did them. But none of that matters, it's in the past. Let's move on and concentrate on what's best for the program.

Is Ron Gray the ideal candidate? Probably not. He has no HC experience (except middle school where he coached for several years) and some fans don't like his reputation (don't confuse fans with important boosters though). However, Oak Ridge needs a dependable, bright, hard nosed coach who is going to change the attitude of the players. I know Gray, he can is all of those things.

To be honest, I will be extremely surprised if Ron Gray is not the next HC at Oak Ridge. Whether you like it or not, that doesn't matter, he has support from key boosters and the AD.

People say he dogged or undermined the program, that's true but he caused no actual damage to the program. Venting frustration to people you know causes no harm. Obviously he said some things out of frustration and bitterness that I know he regrets. He's moved on and so should everyone else, that was 4 years ago. The Stanton Stevens crowd dogged him more than he did them. But none of that matters, it's in the past. Let's move on and concentrate on what's best for the program.

Is Ron Gray the ideal candidate? Probably not. He has no HC experience (except middle school where he coached for several years) and some fans don't like his reputation (don't confuse fans with important boosters though). However, Oak Ridge needs a dependable, bright, hard nosed coach who is going to change the attitude of the players. I know Gray, he can is all of those things.

I find the fact that OR posters are all about Gaddis with his past have no room to dog anyone, which in any measure is 10 times worse than anything Ron Gray said to anyone about the mighty OR football team. If people are willing to over look the type of thing that Gaddis done then there should be NO ONE on this posting topic dogging anybody that may apply for the OR job. People are willing to sell out for any angle that includes winning, I think that overall if a football coach comes in an develops a displine progranm that has standards that the winning will take care of it self.

Your points about Coach Gray are great ones, I just wanted to add to it, maybe whoever OR hires will bring in the type of direction that this football team needs.

I find the fact that OR posters are all about Gaddis with his past have no room to dog anyone, which in any measure is 10 times worse than anything Ron Gray said to anyone about the mighty OR football team. If people are willing to over look the type of thing that Gaddis done then there should be NO ONE on this posting topic dogging anybody that may apply for the OR job. People are willing to sell out for any angle that includes winning, I think that overall if a football coach comes in an develops a displine progranm that has standards that the winning will take care of it self.

Your points about Coach Gray are great ones, I just wanted to add to it, maybe whoever OR hires will bring in the type of direction that this football team needs.

The thing Gaddis did? What Gaddis did is between him and his family. It is his personal life. Why cant we let it be his personal life wheather he is the hc or not? I can tell you that if everyone that has done similar to him couldnt work in this city then this would be a very lonely place.

Now, I don't see him being hired even if he applies. The current AD and a current assistant coach are the ones that started the phone calls to the administration last time around to keep Gaddis from getting hired. They did this to block Gaddis because they wanted Grey to be the coach. If this is who will be heading up the committee to hire our new coach then we already have one foot in grave. Can he make an unbiased decision or put together an unbiased committee? I seriously doubt it. Maybe he will suprise me.

Why would anybody want someone with ZERO head coaching experience to lead Oak Ridge High School out this hole? It doesn't make much sense to me. I say go after a big name and do whatever it takes to get him. Too many people involved in this process have their own agendas. They need to let that go and do what is right for Oak Ridge Football because you see what happened when they did it their way last time. This hire is not just for ORHS. It is for RMS, JMS, and the ORBC because if the right person is hired it will affect all football in OR the right way.

The thing Gaddis did? What Gaddis did is between him and his family. It is his personal life. Why cant we let it be his personal life wheather he is the hc or not? I can tell you that if everyone that has done similar to him couldnt work in this city then this would be a very lonely place.

Now, I don't see him being hired even if he applies. The current AD and a current assistant coach are the ones that started the phone calls to the administration last time around to keep Gaddis from getting hired. They did this to block Gaddis because they wanted Grey to be the coach. If this is who will be heading up the committee to hire our new coach then we already have one foot in grave. Can he make an unbiased decision or put together an unbiased committee? I seriously doubt it. Maybe he will suprise me.

Why would anybody want someone with ZERO head coaching experience to lead Oak Ridge High School out this hole? It doesn't make much sense to me. I say go after a big name and do whatever it takes to get him. Too many people involved in this process have their own agendas. They need to let that go and do what is right for Oak Ridge Football because you see what happened when they did it their way last time. This hire is not just for ORHS. It is for RMS, JMS, and the ORBC because if the right person is hired it will affect all football in OR the right way.

Nick, I heard you have some spare time next year during football season, let's hook up & watch some FB.

Excellent post Jack. However I'm not sure how many candidates have large school head coaching experience and a proven track record in rebuilding between the ages of 35 - 45. Speaking for myself, I don't want another "promising" up and coming young coach. I want a proven winner.

Again, JMO, but while I have the utmost respect for Rankin, Riverdale, and Alcoa, there is one key difference between those 2 programs that Rankin has thrived in vs. Oak Ridge. Both Riverdale and Alcoa have had superior talent to (virtually) every other team in their classification year in and year out. Don't get me wrong, he's done a great job, but he has had the best athletes on the field (overall) year in and year out. This is not the history with Oak Ridge. Oak Ridge has been much more like Maryville in this respect rather than Alcoa or Riverdale. The previous great coaches at OR took good athletes with very very few D1 prospects and put together a TEAM that could give about anyone in the state a run for their money. GQ in Maryville has done the same thing (only more) in that he generally doesn't have a team full of D1 guys. Yet he turns them in to a team that is top notch. This is what Emory Hale, Joe Gaddis, and Bruce Lussier all did IMO. I believe that if a coach is going to be successfule at OR, he is going to have to work with good but not great overall talent. Just my opinions, your mileage may vary.

I think there probably are quite a few guys with large school head coaching experience by 35 and for sure by 45, and are proven winners and they may come from somewhere other then East Tennessee or even Tennessee, I am sure with some of the top notch programs in Georgia and Alabama, one may come from there. I hear there has been a lot of interest shown already, the phones and e-mails are coming in....stay tuned

"Gary Rankin: he has done great jobs at both Riverdale and Alcoa, but keep in mind he is also AD at Alcoa and has well established his program there, he has good discipline on his teams and great talent. I am sure he has one unfulfilled goal there, to beat Maryville. Unless OR offered him one heck of a salary, I don't see him coming."

No, Rankin is not AD; he is the assistant principal.

See today's story from the Daily Times:

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20081...PORTS/312189979

I stand corrected, but Assistant Principal is the equivelant or higher then AD, I am sure he is knocking down a pretty good salary....

There are some really interesting names being brought up here, now they need to e-mail write or call the AD at Oak Ridge if they want their name put in the hat! I doubt if he is going to call them. If he does call someone, I bet he has already done it.

Bounder, I don't think they will call any one, any interested will have to submit resumes to the AD and apply. So if a coach is interested out there and wants to be considered, he better get his resume in. Superman said the phone was ringing off the hook down at the office since the resignation.

What about Scotty Smith? Coach Smith of Walker Valley recently was named the Region 4-4A Defensive Assistant of the Year. He also won that award on multiple occassions at Soddy-Daisy in Region 2-5A, the same Region that Oak Ridge has competed in. Scotty is an Oak Ridge Alum who played on a State Championship team there, played in college, coached in college, and has head coaching experience. The most impressive thing about him is his impeccable character. In addition to being perhaps the most thorough Defensive Coach around, he is one of the finest men in the profession. Oak Ridge will make a real mistake if they don't consider Coach Smith.

I think Scotty Smith, of WV would be an excellent choice. Smith has outstanding character he is fair and the kids would like him.

Scotty, an fantastic DC and no one would out work or out study him excellent football mind.

He was on the '75 state championship team. So he does understand the tradition in Oak Ridge and knows what OR expects.

Zhar