Sportmanship in Wrestling - One team's bad example at Cordova

lbhiii

One of the things i have always admired about wrestling(especially the older the kids get) is the sportmanship exhibited. Kids shake hands, shake coaches hands, work out in rooms together 9 months out of the year and than go out the other 3 months and try to beat each others heads in. The wrestling world usually is a fraternity(a smidge of sorority) of individuals who beat to a little bit different drum. Sportmanship is something kids learn from coaches and their parents and in Tennessee I think we have a pretty good group for the most part.

Having said all of that and hating to call out a team(and happy to say they were NOT from Tennessee) but feeling it is neccesary, I was appalled at the behavior of the majority of the wrestlers of Grissom High School(an Alabama school) at the Cordova Duals(Call of the Wild?) this weekend in Memphis. Refusing to shake hands, refusing or not shaking coaches hands, acting out when they did not feel a call went their way, having unsportsmanlike conduct calls, and my favorite: the mother screaming from the side of the mat at the referee: "your f*(*&(g my kid!" was unfortunately the norm rather than the exception. When I see this type of behaviour, I personally blame the coaches and the parents for allowing it to happen and not setting a proper example.

First of all, Grissom has some fine wrestlers from an ability standpoint and they deserved 2nd place as they thumped us. I'm not whining about results as this is one of the better run and better officiated tournaments. There was a number of well placed stalling and stalemate calls on the championship mat that kept the action going. Second if a Grissom parent reads this and I have offended you, sorry - I just call them like I see them. Third, if you feel your Grissom wrestler is a good role model ( I think there were 3 out of 14 that actually came over to shake hands with our coaches), ask him to step up and call out his teammates. They'll be better people for it.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas.

P.S. - Congrats to Independence on their win. Right now, they're the beast of Region 6

Don't feel bad.

We have beaten that dead horse beyond recognition down here.

Shaking hands vs not shaking hands is pretty much the same argument down here as you guys have with something like when will the regular season match-up of Bradley vs Baylor happen up there.

Everyone agrees to disagree.

I regret that you had an unpleasant experience with a team (any team) from AL. Please understand that it is not a blanket reflection of AL as a whole, or even that team as a whole.

I'm not here to condone nor condemn your example. I will offer that if you (or anyone) disagrees with a particular practice or behavior --- turn it into a positive. Use that example to show your kids what you don't want them to do. If you agree with shaking everyone's hand at every interval, then coach your kids to do so. If you agree with postponing handshakes between matches/intervals until all matches in a dual have been wrestled, then coach your kids to do so. I'm neither for nor against any particular practice. Each coach and each team has their own preference.

My opinion:

Win with humility. Lose with grace. Wrestle hard. Work harder. Respect all. Fear none.

Grissoms coach knows what he is doing. He always has a bunch of guys that go out and wrestle hard and bang, and they are one of the most successful teams in Alabama. However, Grissoms coach has a "different" personality and it sound like it may be trickling down to his wrestlers. Then again I wasnt anywhere near that gymnasium. Im just familiar with Grissoms program.

With that said, I dont fault any coach that doesnt require his wrestlers to shake the coaches hand after each individual match. You are required to shake hands after the dual match. That is plenty. Most colleges do not shake hands with the opposing coaches after each individual match in duals or tournaments.

There was another school from Columbia, SC i think? at the Smokey Mtn. Duals today with the same attitudes. Jumping in a opponents face when he won the match celebrating, not shaking coaches hands, not clearing a mat when asked three times by the tournament host so it could be cleaned,etc....to me that shows ...no class. I think a coach should teach his kids to have some common courtesy and respect.

There was another school from Columbia, SC i think? at the Smokey Mtn. Duals today with the same attitudes. Jumping in a opponents face when he won the match celebrating, not shaking coaches hands, not clearing a mat when asked three times by the tournament host so it could be cleaned,etc....to me that shows ...no class. I think a coach should teach his kids to have some common courtesy and respect.

I'll agree with you that some of us coaches have gotten soft with our discipline, but...........it's got to start at home!

I agree with you completely and ultimately it is the parents responsibility...however, i think a coach should have a punishment also instead of turning a blind eye.

I also agree, but I think it's bad when a whole team gets crucified for one or two bone heads who get a little hot headed, or a few parents going off in the stands. I am not talking about the team you mentioned above, just in general. But not shaking hands is disrespectful.

I also agree, but I think it's bad when a whole team gets crucified for one or two bone heads who get a little hot headed, or a few parents going off in the stands. I am not talking about the team you mentioned above, just in general. But not shaking hands is disrespectful.

I agree...however in watching their matches it was the majority of the team. But, karma came back to to bite them and they got humbled the next day