LA History, Vol. II

LAhistorian

A quick did you know about the Celina- Livingston Academy rivalry in the early 50's. Celina lost only 4 games in the 1953 and 1954 seasons and 3 of those losses came to Livingston Academy. The 1953 Wildcats beat Celina 15-0 and outscored its oppoents 200-85 while going 7-3.

Livingston Academy

Sept. 11 Carthage 8-13

Sept. 18 Celina 15-0

Sept. 25 Sparta 14-7

Oct. 2 Monterey 20-0

Oct 9 Sunbright 20-0

Oct 16 Baxter 27-0

Oct 23 Smithville 41-7

Oct 30 York 41-6

Nov 6 Manchester 21-12

Nov 13 Cookeville 13-33

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do know the BLUE PAGES in the Livingston Academy program has some additions and corrections needed:

This comes through research with evidence to support should anyone want to look it up:

Additions:

CAREER RUSHING YARDS:

Josh Parsons

Yards: 2,491 (1997-2000)

1,000 YARDS RUSHING SEASONS

Carl Poston

Yards: 1,170 (1958)

Corrections:

CAREER RECEIVING YARDS:

Matthan Houser

Yards: (change from 2,065 to 2,078)

SINGLE GAME RECORDS:

Rushing Yardage:

Jack Keisling

Yards: (change from 447 to 477) in 1948 game vs. Gordonsville

Since I started these pages in mid 90's but am no longer affliated with the program I would still like to see them accurate to the best of anyone's knowledge. Missing Carl Poston's rushing total for 50 years is a bit embarassing for me because I found it in the information i've had stored away since the late 70's.

A quick did you know about the Celina- Livingston Academy rivalry in the early 50's. Celina lost only 4 games in the 1953 and 1954 seasons and 3 of those losses came to Livingston Academy. The 1953 Wildcats beat Celina 15-0 and outscored its oppoents 200-85 while going 7-3.

Livingston Academy

Sept. 11 Carthage 8-13

Sept. 18 Celina 15-0

Sept. 25 Sparta 14-7

Oct. 2 Monterey 20-0

Oct 9 Sunbright 20-0

Oct 16 Baxter 27-0

Oct 23 Smithville 41-7

Oct 30 York 41-6

Nov 6 Manchester 21-12

Nov 13 Cookeville 13-33

Do you feel comfortable with the accuracy of that Monterey score? My Monterey contact showed a 1953 score of LA 14, Monterey 7 (Monterey Scores).

Also, you mentioned in a post on another thread to let you know if we see any errors...the scores above would indicate an 8-2 record.

Once again, I'm not complaining; I appreciate all of this info you are sharing with everyone. I just want to ensure accuracy for my website. Thanks.

Do you feel comfortable with the accuracy of that Monterey score? My Monterey contact showed a 1953 score of LA 14, Monterey 7 (Monterey Scores).

Also, you mentioned in a post on another thread to let you know if we see any errors...the scores above would indicate an 8-2 record.

Once again, I'm not complaining; I appreciate all of this info you are sharing with everyone. I just want to ensure accuracy for my website. Thanks.

Once again you are right. The Monterey score was 14-7. I listed the 20-0 score twice and that means the Sparta score was 0-7 Sparta.

So a corrected 1953:

Livingston Academy

Sept. 11 Carthage 8-13

Sept. 18 Celina 15-0

Sept. 25 Sparta 0-7

Oct. 2 Monterey 14-7

Oct 9 Sunbright 20-0

Oct 16 Baxter 27-0

Oct 23 Smithville 41-7

Oct 30 York 41-6

Nov 6 Manchester 21-12

Nov 13 Cookeville 13-33

Thanks for catching this. I must learn to type better or at least proof read better. Thanks again. Changes in BOLD>

A couple more years to review:

LIVINGSTON ACADEMY

Celina 14-7

Gainesboro 18-0

McMinnville 0-13

Tomkinsville, KY 7-13

Cookeville 6-6

Spring Hill 12-18

Crossville 18-0

Baxter 40-0

Monterey 32-7

Sparta 12-12

Gordonsville 18-0

(6-3-2)

Celina 21-0

Crossville 0-12

Tomkinsville,KY 13-32

Cookeville 7-0

Knox Central 0-37

Gainesboro 33-7

Baxter 0-21

Monterey 19-6

Gordonsville 38-0

Lafayette 6-13

(5-5-0)

Anyone have anything to add to this post or am I simply talking to myself?

Don't have any stats to add but will say that I appreciate the time and effort you have spent on the history of our school 's football program. It brings back a lot of memories for me reading about the ones I played with and have watched play. I hope that everything goes well with your book and that I will be one of the first to buy one and get it autographed by the LAhistorian.

I was hopeful that we could have a web-site about our football program..that would just mention the scores of games past and the records of each year. It seems that you have the most of the info that would be needed to have just a web-site. I wonder what process we could take about getting this started. I know you told me that the woman that handles other web-sites for you could possibly do it but has that changed from the last time we talked. And she would need to be compensated for her time as would you as well.

I think if we could get one started with just the basic schedules and results of years past and work from there. Then we could go into more detail later. I was just wanting to get one started b/c until it happens we won't ever have one.

• 15 years later...
On 12/31/2008 at 10:50 AM, LAhistorian said:

I do know the BLUE PAGES in the Livingston Academy program has some additions and corrections needed:

This comes through research with evidence to support should anyone want to look it up:

Additions:

CAREER RUSHING YARDS:

Josh Parsons

Yards: 2,491 (1997-2000)

1,000 YARDS RUSHING SEASONS

Carl Poston

Yards: 1,170 (1958)

Corrections:

CAREER RECEIVING YARDS:

Matthan Houser

Yards: (change from 2,065 to 2,078)

SINGLE GAME RECORDS:

Rushing Yardage:

Jack Keisling

Yards: (change from 447 to 477) in 1948 game vs. Gordonsville

Since I started these pages in mid 90's but am no longer affliated with the program I would still like to see them accurate to the best of anyone's knowledge. Missing Carl Poston's rushing total for 50 years is a bit embarassing for me because I found it in the information i've had stored away since the late 70's.

Please someone update this listed Dylan Linder crushed this guys career record n a single season he has to be a Top 5 player in La history 

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2024 at 5:57 AM, LALEGEND said:

Please someone update this listed Dylan Linder crushed this guys career record n a single season he has to be a Top 5 player in La history 

It was updated this season, because I did it. 

Linder is the school's all-time leading rusher at 5,156 yards with 2,436 of those coming in 2014. 

On 12/29/2008 at 1:28 AM, LAhistorian said:

Jake Peterman 2005 - Cumberland University

Beau Massengile 2005 - Cumberland University

Thanks to HilhamHound for this Addition:

2001- Josh Dial- Tennessee Tech (Cookeville,TN)