LA History, Vol. II

LAhistorian

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have anything to add to this post or am I simply talking to myself?

Well it looks like you have it all covered! I'm sure lots of LA fans,myself included, appreciate the time you have put in to this. My only argument,if you could call it that, is I would have a hard time keeping Brian Colson off the top 25 list! I really didn't see anyone on it not deserving though. If Brian had stayed healthy and got more carries when he was, he would have had some monster rushing numbers. I think he averaged around 9 yards per carry his senior season. I would go with the 2004 team as best ever! Just ran into the wrong team in the playoffs!

I agree Brian Colson could well have been in the top twenty five and like I said it's only one person's opinion. I felt the injuries kept him just out of the twenty-five but sometimes when I made the list he was on it, so it's just almost impossible to choose, but I have no doubt if he did not miss some time with injuries he would have made it easily. I think the '04 team was awesome! 11-2 and they have lots of bragging rights. I think all of the best squads have areas in which they have the bragging rights. I am in the process of trying to list the top teams now. Very hard to compare I admit.

Other players that could easily be in the top twenty-five include James Ramsey, captain of his college team at Tech; Jacob Carwile, a tackling machine and the first person ever to reach 300 career tackles; James Parrott, a fixture on the early 50's best teams; and Charles Norris, it was my thinking from the information gathered that his best days were after high school HOWEVER a contract offer from the 49'ers is pretty heady stuff.

To give a little insight to the list, it was complied and changed and morphed over the past 30 years. I made the orginial list in 1978. I put alot of thought into this. One little insight is that as I was typing this last week and doing some final research I found the information on David Sadler being in the West Hills Community College Hall of Fame in Coalinga, CA. I felt Sadler who I had orginally in the second group had to be re-evaluated and that led to 26 players being in the top twenty five. You mentioned the injuries to Colson and that made the difference to me. I hated to put him in the second tier it just didn't seem right. But there are many many great football players in the 26-50 list. I mentioned a few but the list is longer running from John Romain Billings in the 1930'2 to Duntley Sells in the 70's to Clark Mitchell, Nick Coleman and Jade McDonald in the 90's, just to name a few.

I respect your comments OldCatFan, and welcome others.

Livingston Academy Alumni that lettered in college football:

By year:

1937- John Romain Billings- Tenn.Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1945- John Bilbrey- Pepperdine (Malibu, CA)

1946- L.E. Oakley- Austin Peay (Clarksville, TN)

1946- A.J. Hawkins- West Hills Community College (Coalinga, CA)

1948- Jack Keisling- West Hills Community College (Coalinga, CA)

1948- Gerald Cravins- West Hills community College (Coalinga, CA)

1954- Kenny Sadler- University of Tennessee (Knoxville, TN)

1954- Hillary Carr- University of Tennessee (Knoxville,TN)/ Tennessee Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1960- Leland Dishman- Austin Peay (Clarksville, TN)

1960- Clester Winningham- Tenn. Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1962- Mike Matheny- Middle Tennessee State (Murfreesboro, TN)

1962- David Sadler- West Hills Community College (Coalinga, CA)

1967- James Ramsey - Tenn. Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1970- Callahan Van Koughnett- Samford Univ. (Birmingham, AL)

1974- Mark Ogletree- Tenn. Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1974- Jimmy Maynard- Tenn. Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1981- Matt Eldridge- Tenn. Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1981- Dale Flatt- Tenn. Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1982- Danny McCoin- University of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, OH)

1983- Steve Robbins- Maryville College (Maryville, TN)

1989- James Massengille- Cumberland Univ (Lebanon, TN)

1989- Shane Qualls- Cumberland Univ (Lebanon, TN)

1992- Matt Swallows- Vanderbilt (Nashville, TN)/ Tenn Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1992- Greg McDonald- Tenn Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1992- Clark Mitchell- Kentucky State (KY)

1992- Jacob Carwile- Kentucky State (KY)/ Austin Peay (Clarksville, TN)

1996- Matt Moore- Maryville College (Maryville, TN)

1996- Brandon Masters- Austin Peay (Clarksville, TN)

1997- Grant Swallows- Tenn Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1997- Matt Garrett- Maryville College (Maryville, TN)

1998- Nick Coleman- Lambuth (Jackson, TN)

1999- Jeremy McDonald- Tenn Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1999- Matthan Houser- Dartmouth (Hanover, NH)

2000- Brandon Smith- Guilford College (Greensboro, NC)

2000- Jordan Looper- Cumberland Univ (Lebanon, TN)

2001- Josh Cravins- College of the Cumberlands (Williamsburg, KY)

2001- Joseph McGill- College of the cumberlands (Williamsburg, KY)

2005- Jamey Vaughn- Cumberland University (Lebanon, TN)

2005- Wilson Cates- Princeton (Princeton, NJ)

Those who were members of a college team but never lettered:

1958- Carl Poston- Austin Peay (Clarksville, TN)

1968- Ward Poston- Middle Tennessee State (Murfreesboro, TN)

1974- James Sells- Carson-Newman College (Jefferson City, TN)

1975- Jerry Sadler- Tenn Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1975- Tommy Poston- Tenn Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1975- Mark Houser- Tenn Tech (Cookeville, TN)

1995- Kevin Coffee- Gardner-Webb University (Boiling Springs, NC)

1995- Tom Windle- Univ of Tennessee (Knoxville, TN)

2005- Wade Ford- Tenn Tech (Cookeville, TN)

I know this list is incomplete, please feel free to help out and add to it, I think it would be something great to have for the future.

Thanks to HilhamHound for this Addition:

2001- Josh Dial- Tennessee Tech (Cookeville,TN)

Danny McCoin (1979-82)- The only player at Livingston Academy to be drafted in the NFL draft (Detroit Lions 1988) McCoin's high school career is legendary. He threw for 5,451 yards and 55 touchdowns in his career making All-State as a senior. He quarterbacked the Wildcats to a District title in 1981 and to its first playoff game in which the Cats lost a heartbreaker to Beech. In his senior season the Cats went to the Chestnut Bowl. McCoin played for 3 different head coaches in his high school career.He signed with the University of Cincinnati and rewrote the record book there concluding his college career in the East-West Shrine All-Star game in San Francisco, CA. He is in the University of Cincinnati Hall of Fame.

LAhistorian,

One of the many off-season tasks for my website is to create player profiles for Tennesseans drafted in the past 20 years. I am starting in the early years and have a few already created (I'll put the link below). As far as McCoin is concerned, do you know if he ever played in the NFL? I can't seem to find any statistics that he did, but I don't want to short-change him if he did indeed play. Let me know if so; thanks.

Tennesseans Drafted in NFL (1988-Present)

To: LAHistorian...thanks so much for posting your Top 100 list and other information about Livingston Academy. It was nice to read about the first Tobacco Bowl held in 1954 and the many players that played in that game (e.g., Sadler, Carr, Pennington, Parrott, Sells, Harvey, Wright). Do you know of a source where someone could get the statistics, box score, or an account of that game? Thanks.

LAhistorian,

One of the many off-season tasks for my website is to create player profiles for Tennesseans drafted in the past 20 years. I am starting in the early years and have a few already created (I'll put the link below). As far as McCoin is concerned, do you know if he ever played in the NFL? I can't seem to find any statistics that he did, but I don't want to short-change him if he did indeed play. Let me know if so; thanks.

Tennesseans Drafted in NFL (1988-Present)

McCoin was drafted in the 11th Round of the 1988 draft by the Detroit Lions. He played in the pre-season and was injured in the final pre season game of 1988 at Cincinnati. He remained with the team for the 1988 season and never played a down. I am not sure he was ever active during the season. Chuck Long was there at the time as was Rusty Hilger and Eric Hipple. I think McCoin was on Injured Reserve for the entire regular season.

Wayne Fontes took over as coach from Darryl Rogers during the '88 season. Fontes wanted to go in a different direction at QB and brought in Rodney Peete from USC in 1989 and then drafted Andre Ware in 1990. Fontes wanted a Qb that could run while McCoin was more of a pro style passer. Danny returned to Livingston in 1989 as a assistant football coach on the staff of first year head coach Terry Melton

To: LAHistorian...thanks so much for posting your Top 100 list and other information about Livingston Academy. It was nice to read about the first Tobacco Bowl held in 1954 and the many players that played in that game (e.g., Sadler, Carr, Pennington, Parrott, Sells, Harvey, Wright). Do you know of a source where someone could get the statistics, box score, or an account of that game? Thanks.

I have the box score for that particular game which remains a legendary contest for Livingston Academy. I will try to provide that information here later tonight and a story about the game so check back.

LIVINGSTON ACADEMY WINS 1ST BOWL GAME IN SCHOOL HISTORY

Novemeber 17, 1954

BACKGROUND- Let me try and set the stage for the 1st Annual Tobacco Bowl which was played on Wednesday, November 17, 1954 in Hartsville, Tennessee between rivals Celina High School and Livingston Academy. Livingston had edged Celina in the opening game of the 1954 season 21-20. That game was a classic with Livingston Academy getting its first touchdown from Hilary Carr, and a conversion run by Ken Sadler. Sadler threw a touchdown pass to Dewey Watkins and Carr ran in the conversion for the second score. Finally with 0:45 seconds left Sadler scored to tie the game and Carr ran in the conversion for the one point win. Conversion runs in those days were worth only one point. The Wildcats then beat Carthage 19-14 and Madison 39-12 before losing to what is probably remembered as Sparta's best team 33-7. After the stinging defeat LA beat Monterey 26-0, Baxter 48-6, Smithville 32-7, and Gainesboro 28-6 to set up a final game showdown with Cookeville. The Wildcats had not beaten Cookeville since 1940 and needed a win to get the bowl bid. Carr scored 2 touchdowns and set up Sadler's one yard run with a 47 yard punt return in Livingston's 19-6 win. A. Q. "Bill Stern" Verble did the play by play of the Cookeville- Livingston Academy game. Livingston outscored its opponents 252-116 in the regular season.

Meanwhile, Celina had beaten Gainesboro 21-0, lost to LA 21-20, then downed York 32-0, Hartsville 20-0, Monterey 33-0, Gainesboro 32-9, Tompkinsville (KY) 35-0, Baxter 47-0, and Lafayette 48-0. The 8-1 Bulldogs had an amazing 7 shutouts and had outscored its opponents 288-30! Celina was led by Charlie Vaughn who went on to play at the University of Kentucky while Carr and Sadler would go on to sign with the University of Tennessee.

It would be the first bowl game for either team with the 8-1 Wildcats and the 8-1 Bulldogs meeting in Hartsville's first ever Tobacco Bowl. The Livingston Jaycees formed a caravan to the game and an overflowing crowd of 2,500 showed up for the contest. The stage was set for one the legendary games in LA football history.

LINEUP FOR THE GAME: (as printed in the November 19, 1954 Livingston Enterprise)

CELINA

LE: Arms

LT: Westmoreland

LG: K. Hamilton

C: Lynn

RG: Stover

RT: Melton

RE: Garrett

QB: Vaughn

LH: C. Hamilton

RH: Eads

FB: Scott

LA:

LE: Windle

LT: Harvey

LG: Winningham

C: Stockton

RG: Johnson

RT: Sells

RE: Watkins

QB: Averitt

LH: Carr

RH: Pennington

FB: Sadler

Note: Wright also played quarterback for LA

HARTSVILLE- The game began with both teams showing the pressure of the moment. Hilary Carr , Livingston's 3-time All-Midstate back had been very sick and as the Enterprise said he 'got out of his sick bed to play in the bowl". This put added pressure on Sadler LA's other All-Midstate player. During the regular season of 1954 Sadler had scored 95 points and Carr 89 points.

The first three quarters were ragged with fumbles, penalties and intercepted passed halting drives by both teams.

Early in the fourth quarter Celina broke the ice having stated the final period at the Livingston 24. A few plays into the quarter Celina quarterback Charlie Vaughn carried the ball seven yards to the Wildcats one. Three plays later it was fourth and goal to go from the four. Vaughn scored from there on an option play to give Celina a 6-0 lead. The extra point failed as Vaughn was trapped back at the five yard line.

It took only four plays for Livingston to get back in the game. Carr returned the kickoff to the LA 38 and then picked up 16 on a first down run around left end. Sadler scored two plays later and the score was tied at 6-6. Celina came right back with Arms scoring for the Bulldogs to make it 12-6 Celina just past the midway point of the final quarter. The Bulldogs made a critical error on the ensuing kickoff however kicking the ball out of bounds giving the Cats excellent field position at the LA 40. Carr was now very sick and it was seemingly up to Sadler to carry the load. He got 7 then 38 to move the Wildcats to the Celina 15 with under three minutes left. On the drive's fifth play Sadler turned up field behind a key block by Carr to take it in for the touchdown. After the score the game was halted momentarily as Carr had to be helped off the field. The score was 12-12.

Sadler then ran in the conversion to give the Wildcats an apparent 13-12 lead but a penalty for backfield in motion nulified the score. The Wildcats were now staring at a possible tie and Coach Cordell McDonald decided a pass play was the best route to victory. As the ball was snapped Sadler ran to his right where it looked as though he would be stopped short, however, he wheeled back and threw to the left where end Dewey Watkins was all alone awaiting the football in the end zone. The play fooled the Bulldogs and Watkins made the most important catch of his career to give the Wildcats a 13-12 lead that proved to be the final margin.

Celina 0-0-0-12-12

Livingston Academy 0-0-0-13-13

Touchdowns: CELINA- Arms, Vaughn; LA- Sadler (2)

Extras: LA- Watkins

(Note: Sorry i thought I had the boxscore for the game but I do not, it was not documented in the Livingston newspaper. If anyone has it I would love to have a copy.)

© 2008 Writers In House Publishing