• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings RDman !!!

Hope you had a nice holiday.

3 seconds rule by the rule book

Rule 9 Section 7

Art 1 - A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane between the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her frontcourt.

Art 2 - The three second restriction applies to a player who has only one foot touching the lane boundary. The line is part of the lane. All lines designating the free throw lane, but not lane-space marks and neutral zone marks, are part of the lane.

Art 3 - Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for a goal.

In other words for Article 3 - If a guy/girl is posting up in the lane for 2 seconds and then receives the ball, the three second violation is ignored if they are going to make a move to the basket. That is the way officials have been instructed to rule.

Yes one foot does qualify as "being in the lane"

As far as area of responsibility, its the lead officials (official under the basket) primary area of responsibility. The Center or 'slot' offical has secondary coverage for this as well. You will probably never see the trail official calling three seconds.

As far as how this is officiated varies by crew. If you call a couple of them early , it does tend to cut down on the physical play of post players trying to get the low block position.

THANKS I have come to the conclussion that there are not that many bad officials and that it was me so as i think of question on rules i will come on here and ask IF YOU WANT TO talk about a rule that most of us dont know or understand please post it as i sometimes forget the questions lol ( i do reallize there would be some calls you would have to see to explain )

what do you think is the most misunderstood rule that you wish us fans knew it so your officials wouldnt get yelled at

THANKS I have come to the conclussion that there are not that many bad officials and that it was me so as i think of question on rules i will come on here and ask IF YOU WANT TO talk about a rule that most of us dont know or understand please post it as i sometimes forget the questions lol ( i do reallize there would be some calls you would have to see to explain )

what do you think is the most misunderstood rule that you wish us fans knew it so your officials wouldnt get yelled at

The call that I see called or not called the most that makes me SO mad.............is when a team is in a full court press for most of the game and are smacking and hacking at all balls all the time. It seems that the longer that a team presses and applies this type of pressure the less likely they are of getting fouls called on them.

Question : is it a foul when you touch/smack a players arm ( forearm, hand , elbow,etc..) while trying to steal the ball? Is it if you touch the ball first then you can continue to the arm?

How about shoulder to shoulder challenges while the ball is in the air? Can you bump the player in position to catch the ball?

I see ALOT of no calls go the the advantage of THE team that plays the most aggressive style. Seems the referee just gets tired of calling the foul "one more time" even though it is obvious that the player with the ball was just mugged. Ha

Thanks.

Riverdaleman,

I want a fan to show me where the "over the back" rule is in the rule book.

**Hint - Its not in there

I go see some pee wee basketball occasionally and watch the high school kids officiating and giving the over the back "signal" (both arms raised straight up with bent down wrists) I just chuckle. However, I do admire them for taking on the officiating 'craft' /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The block/charge call is the one that seems to make the most people mad....Seems in our area (West Tn) it is very inconsistent in the way it is called.....

Palming/carrying the ball seems not to be called as much as it should be.....

I was in Kentucky for a tournament and saw close to 15 games over a three day period....I saw alot of inconsistency between a player being fouled and their shot counting and being fouled and a shot not counting.....

Purple,

If a player has gathered themselves in an attempt to get a shot off and then gets fouled , we should score the bucket. Too many times I see officials waving off the shot and calling a non-shooting foul when by rule the shooter is entitled the continuation.

I have not seen an NBA rule book in some time but the last time I did look there is no difference in the wording of the "shooting foul" criteria. I hear fans yelling "This isn't the NBA." My personal oppinion is that the NBA officials do a great job of interpreting the rule and understanding its meaning. I'm sure they have lots of training material and guideline plays that allow them to be 'on the same page' thats why they are so consistent.

Its unfortunate that the TSSAA does not offer the local associations more 'training material'. The officials pay in lots of money to the state and the amount of training that most of the new guys get is very minimal. I will say that some associations around the state have made their own training videos /guideline plays and share it with the association. These videos assist in getting everyone on the same page.

Thats all I will say about that subject.

MOST CHARGES AND BLOCKS ARE JUDGEMENT CALLS, AND MOST OF TIME THE REFS ARE PRETTY CONSISTANT ON THE WAY THEY CALL THIS FOUL, THEY MAY BE CONSISTANTLY WRONG BUT I THINK AS A OFFICIAL THE REF REALLY PUTS HIS MIND IN A DEFENSIVE MODE OR A OFFENSIVE MODE AND IF HE WAS A DEFENSIVE PLAYER HIS JUDGEMENT ITS A CHARGE AND IF HE WAS A SCORER HIS MIND SET IS BLOCK. VERY SELDOM YOU'LL SEE AN OFFICIAL CALL IT OPPISITE ON TWO TEAMS