CPA loses 2 of 3 in Illinios

CPA4Ever

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody have a report on how CPA lost 2 of 3 in the Carbondale. Ill. tourney? Especially surprising is a huge 20+ plus loss to MUS who lost to Father Ryan earlier. CPA handled Father Ryan pretty well.

What's up with the CPA team?

Well first of all, David Anderson did not play in the 2 losses so that hurt them in the first place. The first game was against Cumberland Co., who was terrible, and CPA had no problem. The second game was against McCluer North, the tournaments defending champion and one of the best teams in the state of Missouri. CPA was well prepared for that game, and actually won 3 of the 4 quarters. CPA was up 13-12 with 3 seconds left in the 1st quarter, and McCluer's post drained a half court shot, sparked their team, and they went on a 12-0 run to start the 2nd quarter. CPA played a great second half, closing the lead to 4-6 for most of it, but couldn't get over the hump and was forced to foul in the end, making the score more lopsided than it was. Z had a great game with 34 points and 10 rebounds. (Interesting note: 3 players--Mason, Miller, and Zelenik combined to score ALL of CPA's 56 points). The 3rd game, I can assuredly and safely tell you was a fluke. CPA played by far their worst game of the season, and possibly the worst game ever under coach Maddux. Losing by 23 is the worst margin ever under Maddux, and the first time CPA has lost back to back games under him. CPA had an ungodly amount of turnovers, at least twice as many as I've seen them get in a game so far this year. The team as a whole played tired and sluggish (the game was at 9:00am), and Hunter Miller was 0-9 from 2's, and 0-4 from 3's, with his 3 points coming off of free throws, and I can safely assume that he won't repeat a performance like that again. You might remember a similar occurrence last year when CPA went to the holiday tournament in Atlanta. They went 1-2, losing to a very good team that they were supposed to lose to, and then losing the final game to a sub-par Chattahoochee team that went on to finish with 6 wins on the season. After the game that day, some profound things were said in the locker room, and the entire culture of the team was changed in that moment. And after that embarrassing loss, CPA went on a 21-game winning streak all the way to state. Again this year, in parallel fashion, the locker room was somber, but some amazing things were said and committed. The end of the story has yet to be written, but believe me that things will be a bit different in 2009. The ugly loss to MUS is in the past now, and I would urge all CPA fans not fret. While I can't guarantee that CPA will go 21 strait, I personally believe that a turnaround will happen for the Lions, and that we will again look back on what happened in the locker room after an embarrassing loss as the turning point of the season.

I would also like to add a congratulations to MUS on the victory. They were a very solid, and more importantly, classy team. Amazing coach as well-- the most chill coach I have ever seen-- an older fellow who sits the whole game, hardly opens his mouth, yet his players play with excellent execution and grit. I don't know how he does it.

Box score for CPAvsMUS: http://www.cchs165.jacksn.k12.il.us/Athlet...Stats/cht19.htm

Well first of all, David Anderson did not play in the 2 losses so that hurt them in the first place. The first game was against Cumberland Co., who was terrible, and CPA had no problem. The second game was against McCluer North, the tournaments defending champion and one of the best teams in the state of Missouri. CPA was well prepared for that game, and actually won 3 of the 4 quarters. CPA was up 13-12 with 3 seconds left in the 1st quarter, and McCluer's post drained a half court shot, sparked their team, and they went on a 12-0 run to start the 2nd quarter. CPA played a great second half, closing the lead to 4-6 for most of it, but couldn't get over the hump and was forced to foul in the end, making the score more lopsided than it was. The 3rd game, I can assuredly and safely tell you was a fluke. CPA played by far their worst game of the season, and possibly the worst game ever under coach Maddux. Losing by 23 is the worst margin ever under Maddux, and the first time CPA has lost back to back games under him. CPA had an ungodly amount of turnovers, at least twice as many as I've seen them get in a game so far this year. The team as a whole played tired and sluggish (the game was at 9:00am), and Hunter Miller was 0-9 from 2's, and 0-4 from 3's, with his 3 points coming off of free throws, and I can safely assume that he won't repeat a performance like that again. You might remember a similar occurrence last year when CPA went to the holiday tournament in Atlanta. They went 1-2, losing to a very good team that they were supposed to lose to, and then losing the final game to a sub-par Chattahoochee team that went on to finish with 6 wins on the season. After the game that day, some profound things were said in the locker room, and the entire culture of the team was changed in that moment. And after that embarrassing loss, CPA went on a 21-game winning streak all the way to state. Again this year, in parallel fashion, the locker room was somber, but some amazing things were said and committed. The end of the story has yet to be written, but believe me that things will be a bit different in 2009. The ugly loss to MUS is in the past now, and I would urge all CPA fans not fret. While I can't guarantee that CPA will go 21 strait, I personally believe that a turnaround will happen for the Lions, and that we will again look back on what happened in the locker room after an embarrassing loss as the turning point of the season.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I would also like to add a congratulations to MUS on the victory. They were a very solid, and more importantly, classy team. Amazing coach as well-- the most chill coach I have ever seen-- an older fellow who sits the whole game, hardly opens his mouth, yet his players play with excellent execution and grit. I don't know how he does it.

Box score for CPAvsMUS: http://www.cchs165.jacksn.k12.il.us/Athlet...Stats/cht19.htm

Matt,

Thanks for the report. Interesting tourney for CPA. Anderson being out is huge. Hope it is not a serious problem that will have him out of other games. I hope they rebound, but I am still concerned about their play this year. The #4-7 players, right now,just don't seem to be all they need to go far in the state.