McKenzie Rebels: 2009 Predictions

rebelman18

From what I've overheard in conversations between people "in the know," it wasn't the administration that was the problem. In fact, I heard there wasn't a problem at all. While there is some dissatisfaction with some things, to say Mr. Ward is or was the cause of Coach Comer potentially leaving, well might I say that's a little absurd. With a small school system like McKenzie, some things are just harder to do than at a place like Dyersburg.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comer didn't go looking for Dyersburg, they called him. So he did not set out with intentions of leaving McKenzie but it is no secret that he has tried for years to get the Administration to recognize not only his worth but that of the entire coaching staff. He even proposed to just have staff paid a flat rate for playoff games if raises were not a possibility in the system. The problem is the union and even the President, a Sisson woman admitted at a community meeting recently that coaching supplements have not been addressed in over ten years and that she has tried to bring it to the table for negotiations on two different occassions. So you tell me how this is taking care of a coach that has won 90 ballgames in 9 years? If the administration can't take care of this then who can? Anyone that knows Comer knows he is not about money, he is about principle so that is why I posted in response to all the praise to Ward. I like many within this system, just try to lay low but I can assure you that contrary to what you read in the local papers and see posted around town on yard signs there are plenty of us glad that this school board has taken the position it has recently. If Comer is staying as is posted on the Dyersburg thread, I hope the next director of schools will have an appreciation for hard work, dedication, and loyalty that are all evident in Head Coach Now and Hopefully Forever WADE COMER. GO REBELS!!!

Guess I'll have to agree with a lot of what you say. The main thing that I know is that the Rebels have had a lot of success in recent years and the fans and team don't want to deal with change, I have no idea as to what changes are possible for the coaching staff on the football team but, we have pretty much come to like things the way they are and hope the coaches can feel the same way in the end as well.

I'm Sure, As With Any Administration, It Takes More Than Ward To Approve Or Disapprove A Monetary Situation.

But With Him At The Helm Our Taxes Have Remained Low. And Thus The Complaint That The Teachers And Coaches And Classrooms And All Things Associated Have Been Underfunded. Now Do You Hire Someone That Is A Spendthrift, And Compensates The Well Done And Blank Checks Programs, And Have The Citizens Of Mckenzie Screaming Of Tax Inflation. Or Have A Concervative Like Ward Who Maintains A Righted Ship And Tries To Please The Majority Rather Than The Few.

I Am Also Sure That Nothing Ward Did Was Criminal....Nor Was It Personal...I Feel He Acted In Full Support Of This Community. And Yes I Do Still Have His Sign In My Yard.

From what I've overheard in conversations between people "in the know," it wasn't the administration that was the problem. In fact, I heard there wasn't a problem at all. While there is some dissatisfaction with some things, to say Mr. Ward is or was the cause of Coach Comer potentially leaving, well might I say that's a little absurd. With a small school system like McKenzie, some things are just harder to do than at a place like Dyersburg.

Thanks For The Skinny On It BigMckD. But Is The Runt Leaving Or Staying? Is Duncan Or Thomas Staying Or Following The Lolli-Pop Guild Down The Yellow Brick Road? These Are Questions Us Fans Of The Land Of Comer Wanna Know. And Who's Staying, And Who Is Pitching And Who Is Catching? LOL

Well, what I can say is that Coach Thomas isn't leaving. Coach Duncan, not that I'm aware of. As for Coach Comer, well Dyersburg will be making their public announcement (I assume in the near future) about who they are going to hire...so let the suspense rise.

Well Thank God Ole Randy Aint Leaving. And I Have Heard Dyersburg Is Hiring Haywood's Coach. And Lake County Head Coach Aint Leaving. So Now The Ripley Job And Haywood Job Is Open.

And Do I Sense A Liking Of This Drama In Your Post? I Mean What Is, Is What It Is. But Getting Information Outta You Is Like Russell Pulling Teeth, TOUGH!!

I'm Sure, As With Any Administration, It Takes More Than Ward To Approve Or Disapprove A Monetary Situation.

But With Him At The Helm Our Taxes Have Remained Low. And Thus The Complaint That The Teachers And Coaches And Classrooms And All Things Associated Have Been Underfunded. Now Do You Hire Someone That Is A Spendthrift, And Compensates The Well Done And Blank Checks Programs, And Have The Citizens Of Mckenzie Screaming Of Tax Inflation. Or Have A Concervative Like Ward Who Maintains A Righted Ship And Tries To Please The Majority Rather Than The Few.

I Am Also Sure That Nothing Ward Did Was Criminal....Nor Was It Personal...I Feel He Acted In Full Support Of This Community. And Yes I Do Still Have His Sign In My Yard.

Butchie,

Your post is likely most relevant as any on here about this situation. Since the teachers/coaches are Union there is only so much that can be done in regard to raises or adjustments for ANYONE in the system. Not just coaches but, even for the top teachers, etc. That's just the name of the game so to speak. It is very likely that it is high time the coaching supplements became an important issue to be considered for improvement. I will venture a guess that roughly 1/5 of the entire population of McKenzie has an active interest in the success of the Rebel football team at the very least!!!!! And I honestly don't say that to slight other sports at the school because they all have a good following too.

With the economy like it is it is gonna get tough to find more $$ though. Right now most around town just feel lucky to have ANY job much less a GOOD job. When it gets harder and harder to make ends meet it will get a lot harder to make income grow for a few.

Butchie,

Your post is likely most relevant as any on here about this situation. Since the teachers/coaches are Union there is only so much that can be done in regard to raises or adjustments for ANYONE in the system. Not just coaches but, even for the top teachers, etc. That's just the name of the game so to speak. It is very likely that it is high time the coaching supplements became an important issue to be considered for improvement. I will venture a guess that roughly 1/5 of the entire population of McKenzie has an active interest in the success of the Rebel football team at the very least!!!!! And I honestly don't say that to slight other sports at the school because they all have a good following too.

With the economy like it is it is gonna get tough to find more $$ though. Right now most around town just feel lucky to have ANY job much less a GOOD job. When it gets harder and harder to make ends meet it will get a lot harder to make income grow for a few.

LOL, Aint It The Truth. What I Was Trying To Say Is Simply This. The School Operates On A Budget. And It's A Tight One. And We've Been Able To Squeek By Over The Years. And It's Because Ward And The Board Has Been Holding Thier Thumb On It. Now Some Of The Board Has Been Replaced And Ward Is Next On The Chopping Block.

But The Only Way To Pay More Is To Generate More Money And That Equals Tax Increase. Sure It Would Be Nice to Blank Check Ole Comer And Fund The Trap Team, Heck Let's Get A Swim Team And A Wrestling Team. And While We Are At It Give Every Teacher A 20% Increase In Pay. It All Sounds Good, But Fat Chance Raising Our Taxes To Do It. Because You Can't Cut Programs That Are Underfunded Already, Just to Give The Coach A Raise. So It Has To Come From An Increase In Taxes. Some People Should Think Before They Shoot Thier Opinion. Ward Didn't Try And Run Anybody Off, IT AINT IN THE BUDGET..................And Getting Rid Of Ward Aint Gonna Help Them Find Money That Aint There.

LOL, Aint It The Truth. What I Was Trying To Say Is Simply This. The School Operates On A Budget. And It's A Tight One. And We've Been Able To Squeek By Over The Years. And It's Because Ward And The Board Has Been Holding Thier Thumb On It. Now Some Of The Board Has Been Replaced And Ward Is Next On The Chopping Block.

But The Only Way To Pay More Is To Generate More Money And That Equals Tax Increase. Sure It Would Be Nice to Blank Check Ole Comer And Fund The Trap Team, Heck Let's Get A Swim Team And A Wrestling Team. And While We Are At It Give Every Teacher A 20% Increase In Pay. It All Sounds Good, But Fat Chance Raising Our Taxes To Do It. Because You Can't Cut Programs That Are Underfunded Already, Just to Give The Coach A Raise. So It Has To Come From An Increase In Taxes. Some People Should Think Before They Shoot Thier Opinion. Ward Didn't Try And Run Anybody Off, IT AINT IN THE BUDGET..................And Getting Rid Of Ward Aint Gonna Help Them Find Money That Aint There.

Yeah Butchie, you're right but, it's kind of a preaching to the choir thing unfortunately. We are taxed to death already and more coming at us everyday. Folks just plain can't stand much if any more economic stress!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the bright side, yesterday Dyersburg announced the hiring of Bart Stowe from Haywood Co. as their new head coach. One issue settled. However, that leaves the Haywood job open along with the Ripley job I'm told. Personally, I wouldn't want either job if in the position but, Haywood would be the better of the two IMO. It would be brutal to coach in 7-3A!!!!!! Every Friday is the biggest game of the season there. Anyway, for now Wade is still here and the beat goes on.

Butchie, we need to have another meeting of the minds soon too about things.

Butchie,

Between us we got just about enough sense to come in out of the rain!! Somehow with that in mind we still manage some laughs and good ideas to save the free world as we know it. Now all we got to do is get somebody to listen to us!!!!!

I mean if we can park at the Gay Parrot by BTW High School in Mamphis and come out without a scratch we bound to have somethin' figured out. THAT was one trip I'll NEVER forget man!!! Me and JJ was laughing about it at Rural King just the other day!!

The trip to Jo Byrns was much less stressful (except for the final score of course!!)

Rebel football has been good to all of us the last few years for sure!!