Hillsboro Next Football Season

Things will get VERY interesting at HHS if Blade decides to leave. Also, O-line Coach (Myers) has already accepted the position of HC at Springfield.

Well, he's obviously decided he wants to leave. He's applied for every open job around. Problem is he's not getting any of them. Here's my prediction. Blade is coaching HB, the gates will be fabulous, and they'll have a much longer offseason to spend their new found wealth.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he's obviously decided he wants to leave. He's applied for every open job around. Problem is he's not getting any of them. Here's my prediction. Blade is coaching HB, the gates will be fabulous, and they'll have a much longer offseason to spend their new found wealth.

What do you know that you aren't saying? He applied at Ravenwood and then withdrew his name. Has he actually applied for Oak Ridge or anywhere else? Also, is "HB" supposed to mean HHS ergo: Hillsboro High School?

Btw, IF Blade decides to stay at HHS, I think it will be difficult for them to miss the playoffs. If my understanding of the new system is correct, as long as they perform better than Centennial they will be District 11-AAA's 5A playoff representative.

What do you know that you aren't saying? He applied at Ravenwood and then withdrew his name. Has he actually applied for Oak Ridge or anywhere else? Also, is "HB" supposed to mean HHS ergo: Hillsboro High School?

Btw, IF Blade decides to stay at HHS, I think it will be difficult for them to miss the playoffs. If my understanding of the new system is correct, as long as they perform better than Centennial they will be District 11-AAA's 5A playoff representative.

He "withdrew" his name because he wanted to save face because he knew he wasn't getting it. Yes to OR and yes to others. Yes, HB, ergo Hillsboro. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Your understanding of the new system is incorrect.

He "withdrew" his name because he wanted to save face because he knew he wasn't getting it. Yes to OR and yes to others. Yes, HB, ergo Hillsboro. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Your understanding of the new system is incorrect.

Hillsboro or HHS is understandable, but being as how it's not two words (i.e. Dickson County, Henry County, Mount Juliet, Wilson Central, etc.) "HB" seems rather inappropriate. Just my opinion. I've never heard it referred to as "HB".

Also, I think you are being rather condescending by thinking that IF Blade stays at HHS they are going to be missing the playoffs regularly. Do you really think in that case they couldn't outperform Centennial and make the playoffs?

Obviously, you are in the know more than I then on what Blade is possibly doing. You don't think he'll be hired by any other school?

Hillsboro or HHS is understandable, but being as how it's not two words (i.e. Dickson County, Henry County, Mount Juliet, Wilson Central, etc.) "HB" seems rather inappropriate. Just my opinion. I've never heard it referred to as "HB".

Also, I think you are being rather condescending by thinking that IF Blade stays at HHS they are going to be missing the playoffs regularly. Do you really think in that case they couldn't outperform Centennial and make the playoffs?

Obviously, you are in the know more than I then on what Blade is possibly doing. You don't think he'll be hired by any other school?

I think Blade is irrelevant to HB ergo Hillsboro's success. In that district it's going to be tough because, as you said, HB ergo Hillsboro is not in the league with Williamson Co. schools. And again, your understanding of the new system is incorrect. Simply beating Cent. ergo Centennial doesn't get them in.

I think Blade is irrelevant to HB ergo Hillsboro's success. In that district it's going to be tough because, as you said, HB ergo Hillsboro is not in the league with Williamson Co. schools. And again, your understanding of the new system is incorrect. Simply beating Cent. ergo Centennial doesn't get them in.

I didn't say "simply beating Centennial" I said "outperforming Centennial" (i.e. better record). However, my understanding is correct then that by having a better record than Centennial they would earn District 11-AAA's 5A State Playoff spot, correct? Would you please be so kind as to explain the new system if my understanding is still incorrect?

Also, you say Blade is irrelevant to HHS's success and then say Hillsboro is not in the same league with Williamson County schools. Could you try just a little bit harder at the condescending thing? I don't think you are trying hard enough. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

If Blade stays, HHS will do just fine. If Blade leaves though, I likely will have my doubts because I am not very optimistic about potential replacements.

I didn't say "simply beating Centennial" I said "outperforming Centennial" (i.e. better record). However, my understanding is correct then that by having a better record than Centennial they would earn District 11-AAA's 5A State Playoff spot, correct? Would you please be so kind as to explain the new system if my understanding is still incorrect?

Also, you say Blade is irrelevant to HHS's success and then say Hillsboro is not in the same league with Williamson County schools. Could you try just a little bit harder at the condescending thing? I don't think you are trying hard enough. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

If Blade stays, HHS will do just fine. If Blade leaves though, I likely will have my doubts because I am not very optimistic about potential replacements.

To be honest, I'm not sure anyone, Ronnie Carter included, really understands this idiotic system. With that said, I have to agree with Spoon here. The way I understand it, in order to get an automatic berth you have to have at least 3 teams in your classification in your district. Otherwise, you have to be in the top 3 in the entire district to get an automatic. In this case since Hillsboro and Centennial are the only 5A's, so they will have to either finish in the top 3 in the region or get a wild card. So out of Bwood, Franklin, Indy, Centennial, Ravenwood, etc., they can only lose 2. Tough job ahead for the Burros.

To be honest, I'm not sure anyone, Ronnie Carter included, really understands this idiotic system. With that said, I have to agree with Spoon here. The way I understand it, in order to get an automatic berth you have to have at least 3 teams in your classification in your district. Otherwise, you have to be in the top 3 in the entire district to get an automatic. In this case since Hillsboro and Centennial are the only 5A's, so they will have to either finish in the top 3 in the region or get a wild card. So out of Bwood, Franklin, Indy, Centennial, Ravenwood, etc., they can only lose 2. Tough job ahead for the Burros.

Thanks for the explanation. I was told as long as two teams from a classification were in a district then each classification would get an automatic berth. So, instead, in District 11-AAA, two of the top 3 teams will make the playoffs each year. If neither Centennial nor HHS finish in the Top 3 overall, then the top 2 6A teams would both go to the playoffs. Is my understanding yours as well?

If so, I agree HHS has a VERY tough job ahead. However, I knew that anyway. That's good for HHS football in the long run though I believe. District 11-AAA is vying for the claim to being the toughest district in the state.

From Burro Ball on the RW thread "I agree that HHS football has a distinct advantage over other MNPS schools by having open enrollment status for students. I have never denied this.

As I understand it, HHS has been required to have open enrollment due to their being the only MNPS high school with an International Baccalaureate program. The football program is one of the MANY areas HHS benefits as a whole from it's open enrollment status. However, also, HHS is the best high school in MNPS from an academic standpoint as well. Students want to come to HHS via open enrollment for many reasons. Absolutely, one of those reasons can be athletics. Though it is rarely only athletics.

From th RW thread by BurroBall "Is it unfair? Probably, because HHS is also a better school than other MNPS schools and therefore leaves little reason for any football players able to provide their own transportation to and from school to stay at an inferior school just because it's where they're zoned. In summary, HHS is the unofficial magnet school of MNPS except they have football too unlike the official magnets Hume-Fogg and MLK.

All I have said is that HHS DOES NOT have a full roster or even two deep roster on offense and defense of thoroughbreds like people looking on from the outside like to suggest. Again, Maplewood, Stratford, Hunters Lane, Whites Creek, Antioch, etc. have their fair share of elite athletes and they do not win as consistently on the football field like HHS does. It still does take exceptional coaching to get those elite athletes to play together with discipline and as a TEAM.

Conversely, HHS Boys basketball, as good as they are and have been in the past, are not as good on a consistent basis as teams like Maplewood, Whites Creek, Stratford, Hunters Lane, Antioch, etc. HHS football could have a WHOLE lot deeper roster if what is being suggested about the open enrollment at HHS as it relates to the football team was completely true.

YES the speed for the 2008 HHS team was exceptional. No question! That is precisely how they compensated for their shortcomings in size and strength."

Might want to rein in the horses there. The worst thing you can do is make emotional statements without fact checking first. Yes, Hillsboro is one of the better schools in Nashville, but nowhere close to a magnet. Just a hair better than the rest of the pack. I did do a little checking. Here's what I found for what are, sadly, 5 of the better metro schools.

ACT scores:

MLK-27.0, Hume Fogg-26.7 / Hillsboro-19.9, Overton-19.0, Hillwood-18.9, Antioch-17.8, Hunters Lane-17.4

Grad Rate:

HF-99.5, MLK-97.4 / Hillsboro-81, Overton-79.1, HL-77.7, HWood-75.8, Ant-71.5

Suspension Rates:(% of student body)

MLK-3.6%, HF-7.2% / Overton-26.7%, Hillsboro-31.6%, Antioch-34.8, Hwood--43.5%, Hunters Lane-52.1%

If it walks like a metro school and quacks like a metro school, it must be a metro school.

http://edu.reportcard.state.tn.us/pls/apex...80974563::NO:::

From Burro Ball on the RW thread "I agree that HHS football has a distinct advantage over other MNPS schools by having open enrollment status for students. I have never denied this.

As I understand it, HHS has been required to have open enrollment due to their being the only MNPS high school with an International Baccalaureate program. The football program is one of the MANY areas HHS benefits as a whole from it's open enrollment status. However, also, HHS is the best high school in MNPS from an academic standpoint as well. Students want to come to HHS via open enrollment for many reasons. Absolutely, one of those reasons can be athletics. Though it is rarely only athletics.

From th RW thread by BurroBall "Is it unfair? Probably, because HHS is also a better school than other MNPS schools and therefore leaves little reason for any football players able to provide their own transportation to and from school to stay at an inferior school just because it's where they're zoned. In summary, HHS is the unofficial magnet school of MNPS except they have football too unlike the official magnets Hume-Fogg and MLK.

All I have said is that HHS DOES NOT have a full roster or even two deep roster on offense and defense of thoroughbreds like people looking on from the outside like to suggest. Again, Maplewood, Stratford, Hunters Lane, Whites Creek, Antioch, etc. have their fair share of elite athletes and they do not win as consistently on the football field like HHS does. It still does take exceptional coaching to get those elite athletes to play together with discipline and as a TEAM.

Conversely, HHS Boys basketball, as good as they are and have been in the past, are not as good on a consistent basis as teams like Maplewood, Whites Creek, Stratford, Hunters Lane, Antioch, etc. HHS football could have a WHOLE lot deeper roster if what is being suggested about the open enrollment at HHS as it relates to the football team was completely true.

YES the speed for the 2008 HHS team was exceptional. No question! That is precisely how they compensated for their shortcomings in size and strength."

Might want to rein in the horses there. The worst thing you can do is make emotional statements without fact checking first. Yes, Hillsboro is one of the better schools in Nashville, but nowhere close to a magnet. Just a hair better than the rest of the pack. I did do a little checking. Here's what I found for what are, sadly, 5 of the better metro schools.

ACT scores:

MLK-27.0, Hume Fogg-26.7 / Hillsboro-19.9, Overton-19.0, Hillwood-18.9, Antioch-17.8, Hunters Lane-17.4

Grad Rate:

HF-99.5, MLK-97.4 / Hillsboro-81, Overton-79.1, HL-77.7, HWood-75.8, Ant-71.5

Suspension Rates:(% of student body)

MLK-3.6%, HF-7.2% / Overton-26.7%, Hillsboro-31.6%, Antioch-34.8, Hwood--43.5%, Hunters Lane-52.1%

If it walks like a metro school and quacks like a metro school, it must be a metro school.

http://edu.reportcard.state.tn.us/pls/apex...80974563::NO:::

Who said it wasn't a metro school? I said and stand by that it is the best non-magnet high school in MNPS. Newsweek magazine is the publication that ranked HHS 397th in the COUNTRY of ALL public schools including magnet (and 4th in TN behind only MLK(23), Hume-Fogg(24), and Brentwood High(192)) for 2008. http://www.newsweek.com/id/39380/?q=2008/rank/301

It has over 30 different countries all represented under one roof and by and large they get along with each other. They have exceptional teachers and truly love what they do and don't just fulfill the minimum requirements. HHS IS a MNPS school. That is it's curse. It still has "bad seeds". However, overall, it offers things the magnet schools don't and what the other MNPS high schools can't. It is the most unique high school in MNPS. I would recommend sending a kid (regardless of athletic status) there over EVERY non-magnet high school in Nashville. Unless one can afford a private education or manage to win the lottery for Hume-Fogg or MLK, HHS is the BEST option.

is it way to early to speculate - or just ponder who the next coach will be?

Well, I would SPECULATE that if Blade leaves then Mose Phillips, Richard Herzog, Kevin Komisar, and possibly Jay Gore would apply as far as local coaches with previous HHS connections go. Other than those though, I don't have a clue. That is precisely why if Blade leaves I will have my doubts about the potential replacements. It will be very interesting to see where HHS football goes from here.