TN Wrestling Hall of Fame

downforthecount

The TN Wrestling Hall of Fame announces the following new officers and Board Members:

Officers-Chris Vandergriff, Sec, Darrel Lauderdale, Trea, Tim Garrett, VP, P. A. Bowler, Pres

Board Members-B. B. Branton, Luther Killian, Charlie Goss, Steve Henry, G. P. West, with one spot open for a West TN rep

This announcement is an effort to become more visible in the wrestling community for an organization that is recognizing the contributions of those who have made (and are making) a real difference. Life-Time Achievement inductees start at contributing 20 years to wrestling after their competitive careers are over. The next induction banquet will be held in Middle TN, likely next fall.

Look for more information soon.

Yours in wrestling

P. A. Bowler (on behalf of the TWHOF)

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will post more detailed info on these guys soon, but very briefly:

Tony Bradley and Walt Holmes are coaches at Germantown and Houston, respectively and have been instrumental in Memphis wrestling both in high school and clubs.

Joe Wiggins, Jack Faircloth and Jim Simpson are referees. Joe was one of the first big time referees in Middle TN and also assigned matches. Jack is a 30+ year referee. Jim has reffed over 25 yrs and help start Nashville Catholic Wrestling where he is still involved.

Doug Newman coached at Hunters Lane and was one of the first to use computer programs to run tournaments.

Scott Brunette coached at McGavock and started Whites Creek's program. He is current Metro AD.

Joe Black Hayes is in his 90's now. He coached at MTSU and also reffed.

Artie Manning was a coach and supporter of Clarksville. He's run the Duals since they've been in Clarksville.

These men have done so much more than what I've listed, but hopefully this should help jog memories.

• 4 weeks later...

The 2009 Tennessee Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Banquet is on Saturday (10-24-09) at the Marriott Nashville Airport. Tickets to this year’s event are only $50 each. This year we will use round tables with 10 seats. If you would like to purchase a whole table for your group or team they are only $500. If you want to be seated with or near one of this year’s Inductees, include that info with your check.

Make checks to: Tennessee Wrestling Hall of Fame or TNWHOF

Mail to: 109 Mansker Park Drive, Hendersonville, TN 37075

JOE BLACK HAYES WAS A 3-SPORT LETTERMAN AT UT IN THE LATE 1930'S. HE PLAYED FOOTBALL, WRESTLED AND RAN TRACK FOR THE BIG ORANGE FROM 1935-38. HE WAS THE CAPTAIN OF THE FOOTBALL TEAM HIS SENIOR YEAR. HE TAUGHT AND COACHED MOST OF HIS CAREER AT MTSU. HE STARTED A WRESTLING TEAM AT MTSU IN 1950 AND THEY DROPPED IT AFTER THE 1954 SEASON. THE LAST YEAR THEY FINISHED SECOND IN THE SOUTHEASTERN TOURNAMENT. HE CONTINUED TO OFFICIATE WRESTLING MATCHES UNTIL THE LATE 1970'S IN THE MIDDLE TENNESSEE AREA. IN HIS LATER YEARS HE WAS KNOWN AS COACH "STOMP HIS FOOT" HAYES. HE HAD TROUBLE GETTING UP AND DOWN ON THE MAT, SO WOULD BEND OVER AND LOOK TO SEE IF THE PERSON WAS PINNED. WHEN HE SAW THE PERSON WAS PINNED HE WOULD "STOMP HIS FOOT" INSTEAD OF SLAPPING THE MAT.

COACH HAYES LIVES IN MURFREESBORO AND WILL BE 94 THIS FALL.

THE ANIMAL