Big 9

DavidCrockettFan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BIG 9 is not really that much weaker than before. 2 teams in the IMAC are just way ahead. MoWest is a powerhouse, and Cocke Co. is just reaching their prime. I would be surprised if anybody besides these to make it out of the Regionals alive. But Big 9 not win a game? Don't see that happening. Jeff Co. and MoEast are very talented, but not more so than the top Big 9 teams. And didn't Tennessee High just beat Greeneville? So it can be done. I could see the Big 9 winning 1 or maybe 2 (if the matchups are right) in the 1st round, but I see MoWest and Cocke Co. coming out in the end.....................

You are right about matchups. Even on their home floor, shocked to see TN High beat Greeneville after watching GHS dominate DB. Due to injury think Greeneville lost some ballhandling that was already suspect and TN High is quick enough to take advantage while DB is not.

So, if DB wins district tourney and TN High finishes second, both could win home games against Jeff Co/MEast and GHS, respectively. Flip the finish though and both could go down in flames on first night of regionals. District 1AAA road teams are toast.

You are right about matchups. Even on their home floor, shocked to see TN High beat Greeneville after watching GHS dominate DB. Due to injury think Greeneville lost some ballhandling that was already suspect and TN High is quick enough to take advantage while DB is not.

So, if DB wins district tourney and TN High finishes second, both could win home games against Jeff Co/MEast and GHS, respectively. Flip the finish though and both could go down in flames on first night of regionals. District 1AAA road teams are toast.

I wouldn't look past a David Crockett or even a Sullivan Central if they can finish strong and make the regional tourney. Crockett plays hard and seems to be in almost every game. They have one of the best players in East Tennessee in Lauren Murr. She is good for 20 or more every night. I'm not saying they will win if they get there but I will say anything can happen on any given night.

Ok, Crockett has had one good season in how long? There is NO team except DB or maybe THS that can compete with the IMAC this year. They are too strong and our league is way down compared to years past. Just take last years distrist champs SHHS. They are 5th right now and have a losing record. THS is the surprise. I think that most would say they are playing great. DB is playing as expected. Central is doing what they do.

Ok, Crockett has had one good season in how long? There is NO team except DB or maybe THS that can compete with the IMAC this year. They are too strong and our league is way down compared to years past. Just take last years distrist champs SHHS. They are 5th right now and have a losing record. THS is the surprise. I think that most would say they are playing great. DB is playing as expected. Central is doing what they do.

I won't disagree with you. I know the IMAC is strong, at least until they start playing the rest of the state, but if you read everything I said, anything can happen. That 5th place team, SH, beat Cocke Co. early this year. I know it was only by one and they were beat soundly the next time but a win is a win. I also know Crockett lost to Mo East early this year. Crockett was missing a few then too. Crockett is having a good year and I will give them their praise. It hasn't happened much in the past.

Crockettfan, I will agree with you on the statements about Murr. She is a great young lady, and the best player in the big 9. I know I will get some arguments there, but before you start, you better check the stats. There have been some good players come out of the Big 9 in recent years, but she's averaging about 28 pts per game, and let's face it she's the one everybody is keying on, and still she keeps lighting it up. If I'm a college college coach, I see a pure shooter who can also play all over the floor, and leadership qualities, as well as grace under pressure.

As for D-B and TN High, well D-B hasn't exactly shone against the IMAC, but those are the 2 best teams in the Big 9, and it would be a huge, HUGE upset if anybody else beat MoWest, or even Cocke Co. would be a pretty good favorite.

I would agree with bucdaddio that D-B and TN High are the 2 best teams but I believe IMAC has the upper hand this year especially with MoWest and Cocke Co. Anything can certainly happen on a given night, but I just don't see it happening this year...

Yes, as I said earlier, I look for those 2 teams to be the 2 that make it out of the Regionals

Vikings Escape!

Tennessee High - 56

Science Hill - 55

Final.

After trailing for the entire first half and going into halftime down 10 points, the Lady Vikings came back to win in the final seconds and escape 'Topper Palace with a huge one point victory. Behind three Sara Wysor three pointers in the third, Tennessee High brought their halftime defecit down to 2 points, down 44-42 at the end of three quarters. The Lady 'Toppers, through a tremendous effort from Johneshia Good, held firm, holding onto a slim 55-54 lead off two Good free throws with 13 seconds left in regulation. After a timeout, the Lady Vikings Danielle Montgomery drove the lane and dished to Rachel Huneycutt under the basket, putting in a contested layup with 3 seconds to play. The ensuing Good desperation shot was no good. Congratulations to the Lady Vikings on earning a tough come from behind win on the road.

Keep on Rollin'!

Sullivan Central - 37

Dobyns Bennett - 46

Final.

The Indians of Dobyns Bennett continue to play well down the stretch, downing a hot Cougar squad tonight in the Dome. With the Lady Indians stepping out of conference to play at Cherokee on Tuesday, and with Tennessee High seemingly a lock to defeat Volunteer on the same night, next Friday's match up between the Lady Indians and Lady Vikings in Viking Hall may be a draw that rivals the boys game.