Volunteer's New Coach

takeittothehole

Well 1st half of season is over and he has had some time, preseason games, Happy Valley Tournament, Volunteer Classic. I have to admit I was expecting us to be more competitive by now and capable of pulling off a couple of upsets at home. I don't know if he has implemented same system he used in VA but it apparently is not working against TN teams and Big 9 that is a little weak this year. Maybe things will get better last part of season, but from what I saw in last 2 games against Central and DB it is going to be a long hard 2nd half also. Go Falcons!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Volunteer will be much of a factor this season. If they do not improve their feeder system, the future may not be much brighter. They have to start developing several quality players in each incoming class. The system does not matter if you do not have the horses to run it. Phil Jackson could not win consistently at Volunteer right now.

I don't think Volunteer will be much of a factor this season. If they do not improve their feeder system, the future may not be much brighter. They have to start developing several quality players in each incoming class. The system does not matter if you do not have the horses to run it. Phil Jackson could not win consistently at Volunteer right now.

We have the horses, but some of them whether at home, teammates or in their on mind have been convinced they are thorough breds runnning individual races instead of part of a team pulling a wagon.

I agree with Coachh17 that Volunteer has to improve their feeder system. All of the local teams that are struggling from year to year do not have much of a feeder system. But I also feel that any coach should be given about 5 years to establish their "system" and get everything going. The problem with this thinking is that people want everything fixed now and can't give coaches the time that they need.....

I agree with Coachh17 that Volunteer has to improve their feeder system. All of the local teams that are struggling from year to year do not have much of a feeder system. But I also feel that any coach should be given about 5 years to establish their "system" and get everything going. The problem with this thinking is that people want everything fixed now and can't give coaches the time that they need.....

Not expecting miracles, just a little improvement in basic skills and to be a little more competitive. It is disheartening to lose a game when all the other team has to do is execute a pressure defense or fast break offense for 2 - 3 minutes run lead up 14 - 18 points and we play catch up rest of game. It does take time to develop a winning program and it has to start with players committing to improving basic skills year round and extra work outside of team practise during season. If you are not constantly working on improving your skills you are always playing at same level. You may be playing hard but you are not playing better. If you objectively watch games each one is almost a mirror image of the other. Not boxing out for rebounds, turnovers (dribbling and passing), panicking under pressure and any team with someone that can dribble goes through our defense like a knife through butter. This late in the season I would have expected some improvement in at least one of these areas.

You hit the nail on the head when you used the word committment. Until players put in the extra time needed in the off season (working on fundamentals, going to ball camps, playing AAU or some other type of ball...) the improvement just isn't going to take place. I hope Volunteer can turn their fortunes around but ever since they moved up to AAA they have been in the bottom of the Big 9. Back in their AA days, they faired much better...

You hit the nail on the head when you used the word committment. Until players put in the extra time needed in the off season (working on fundamentals, going to ball camps, playing AAU or some other type of ball...) the improvement just isn't going to take place. I hope Volunteer can turn their fortunes around but ever since they moved up to AAA they have been in the bottom of the Big 9. Back in their AA days, they faired much better...

Coachh17 and Supertoe thanks for keeping this civil.

With a family member playing and another one coming up next year I would like to see program improving. I do have concerns about getting the level of committment needed though. I have repeatedly offered to work with my family member anytime she wants on basic skills and have told her she can invite any team mate that wants to particpate. She has yet to accept my offer. I am afraid this is the norm not the exception. Also from what I have seen at middle school games we are in for a lot of the same for a long time.

In all of my years of coaching, it was always frustrating when I told a player that they needed to work on some aspect of their game, get in shape, or just play somewhere on some type of team to improve and they wouldn't do anything at all. At the schools where I coached, they were "average" players but with a little committment could have been so much better...Its hard to compete with the upper tier teams with that type of committment. In the last twenty years, the work ethic of players (as a whole) has diminished although there are certainly a lot out there who put in the time needed to become the best they can be....

In all of my years of coaching, it was always frustrating when I told a player that they needed to work on some aspect of their game, get in shape, or just play somewhere on some type of team to improve and they wouldn't do anything at all. At the schools where I coached, they were "average" players but with a little committment could have been so much better...Its hard to compete with the upper tier teams with that type of committment. In the last twenty years, the work ethic of players (as a whole) has diminished although there are certainly a lot out there who put in the time needed to become the best they can be....

I agree. Most schools in East Tennessee have about the same type of "average" players. There are very few Division 1 athletes at most of the schools. However, there are some kids that work extremely hard and turn themselves into college players. The schools that are the most successful have a community commitment to having a good program. The administration hires and supports good coaches at the middle and high school level. The feeder system is strong and identifies committed players in the elementary grades. Volunteer coaches and parents put these kids in summer leagues, take them to camps, and play them in travel tournaments. Parents do fundraisers and little girls grow up wanting to be part of it. It takes time, money, ego management, and community support. It happened in Elizabethton beginning in the late 90's and the team has had great success. Once the program builds, players will transfer in to be a part of it. Tennessee High, Science Hill, Greeneville, Cloudland, Unaka and Unicoi Co. have also done similar things. It builds tradition in a program. I have not seen much evidence that these things have happened at Church Hill Middle or Volunteer.

Not expecting miracles, just a little improvement in basic skills and to be a little more competitive. It is disheartening to lose a game when all the other team has to do is execute a pressure defense or fast break offense for 2 - 3 minutes run lead up 14 - 18 points and we play catch up rest of game. It does take time to develop a winning program and it has to start with players committing to improving basic skills year round and extra work outside of team practise during season. If you are not constantly working on improving your skills you are always playing at same level. You may be playing hard but you are not playing better. If you objectively watch games each one is almost a mirror image of the other. Not boxing out for rebounds, turnovers (dribbling and passing), panicking under pressure and any team with someone that can dribble goes through our defense like a knife through butter. This late in the season I would have expected some improvement in at least one of these areas.

I had to wait a while to digest last nights game and I figured replying to this post sums it all up any way. What the @^%$# was that last night?