Are Clinton Girls Being recognized?

timetoshownletno

I have no idea what the District or Region looked like in 1990-1991, however Oak Ridge is a monster and Bearden is undefeated in District IV play. For Clinton to even make it out of region for the chance to have Morristown West beat them by 50 they first have to get past one of those two teams...and I honestly don't see it happening (If not Bearden then Heritage or maybe Farragut)

And i know..."thats why they play the game" and "anything can happen" but the deck is stacked against them

There were some outstanding teams in the region at that time- just as there are now. Sevier County was a powerhouse and even ranked in the USA today top 25 during part of the season.

No one is even attempting to make the point Clinton is a favorite to finish in the top 2 in the region. You're missing the point. The point is Clinton is greatly improved and already shown the ability to win against talented teams- as they did against Oliver Springs. Also, while they might not be favored against Bearden, Heritage, or Farragut, they certainly have the talent to play with them and come away with an upset.

That's the point. Clinton basketball has made that kind of strides this year.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Im not mistaking Clinton already beat Farragut once this year...

Well lets not get carried away...Farragut was playing their 5th game in 8 days, had played Powell the night before, and had 3 starters injured and were down to like 6 players. Clinton won by like 2 on a last second shot at home, when Farragut was full strength they beat clinton by over 20 and dropped 90 some points on them. It was still a good victory for Clinton but Farragut is the 3rd best team in that district and came limping into that game.

Well lets not get carried away...Farragut was playing their 5th game in 8 days, had played Powell the night before, and had 3 starters injured and were down to like 6 players. Clinton won by like 2 on a last second shot at home, when Farragut was full strength they beat clinton by over 20 and dropped 90 some points on them. It was still a good victory for Clinton but Farragut is the 3rd best team in that district and came limping into that game.

The Bottom line is Clinton won. Every team has tough schedules and injuries.

As for your comment that Farragut would win by 20 and is the 3rd best team in the district, that's an opinion.

Here is how I would rank the region teams:

1) Oak Ridge

2) Bearden

3) Winner of tonight's Clinton/Powell Game

4) Loser of tonight's Clinton/Powell Game

5) Heritage

6) Farragut

7) Maryville

8) West

The Bottom line is Clinton won. Every team has tough schedules and injuries.

As for your comment that Farragut would win by 20 and is the 3rd best team in the district, that's an opinion. Clinton could finish 2nd in the district if they beat Powell. Wouldn't that be interesting.

You totally misunderstood my post or didn't read it carefully

1. Farragut did win by 20..the score was 91-64 in November that's when FHS was healthy..not an opinion

2. Farragut is the 3rd best team in the district based on district standings.. also not an opinion

3. I gave Clinton credit for playing a tough game and taking care of business...My orignal post was about Clinton's hypothetical ability to get to state and i was speaking about the strength of the region as a whole and how tough it would be to get out

Clinton 59 Powell 45

Another Clinton win over a traditional power.

Clinton is without question one of the leading contenders to make the sub state game.

Great win for the Lady Dragons!

Wow you seem very biased toward this team os91. They did do very well on a guard prospective tonight, Powell had a very off game.

Good win can't wait to see Morristown West beat this team, I'll bet my money that they get to region and get eaten up by at the least 40 or more. Nonetheless this team did get a W against a respectable Powell team. Great shooting night for the Dragons as well. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Wow you seem very biased toward this team os91." They did do very well on a guard prospective tonight, Powell had a very off game.

Good win can't wait to see Morristown West beat this team, I'll bet my money that they get to region and get eaten up by at the least 40 or more. Nonetheless this team did get a W against a respectable Powell team. Great shooting night for the Dragons as well. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Of course I am biased- for good reasons. However, that doesn't negate me from actually applying common sense- something that seems to evade the Clinton detractors in this thread.

You are the third poster who has provided an excuse for an opposing team Clinton has beaten.

We've had posters tell us Farragut, Oliver Springs, and now Powell had off games when explaining Clinton's wins against some very good teams. There comes a point where the Lady Dragon's record and the fact they've beaten some very good teams to earn their record is proof maybe it's not so much these teams had " off" nights as it had to do with Clinton was on their game and simply better.

Btw,

No one has said this Clinton team would advance to a sub state or state tourney. Posters have simply said they're capable of beating high caliber teams and making some noise in the region and sub state.

It seems you're bothered that Clinton has become a good program and is starting to flex their muscle.

That's obvious.

Wow you seem very biased toward this team os91." They did do very well on a guard prospective tonight, Powell had a very off game.

Of course I am biased- for good reasons. However, that doesn't negate me from actually applying common sense- something that seems to evade the Clinton detractors in this thread.

You are the third poster who has provided an excuse for an opposing team Clinton has beaten.

We've had posters tell us Farragut, Oliver Springs, and now Powell had off games when explaining Clinton's wins against some very good teams. There comes a point where the Lady Dragon's record and the fact they've beaten some very good teams to earn their record is proof maybe it's not so much these teams had " off" nights as it had to do with Clinton was on their game and simply better.

Btw,

No one has said this Clinton team would advance to a sub state or state tourney. Posters have simply said they're capable of beating high caliber teams and making some noise in the region and sub state.

It seems you're bothered that Clinton has become a good program and is starting to flex their muscle.

That's obvious.

Btw,

That's obvious.

Btw,

That's obvious.

I have been following these girls for as long as I can remember, I have a girl of my own who have gone through the AAA program at Halls.

I guess it has been such a break out performance it is hard to believe for someone of my stature.

I will give it to the girls they have fought hard and have prevailed. They do deserve respect. This has also been Coach Tonya's best year she has ever had as a coach and I commend her for that. I really am going to be shocked and stunned WHEN they go to region.

I have been following these girls for as long as I can remember, I have a girl of my own who have gone through the AAA program at Halls.

I guess it has been such a break out performance it is hard to believe for someone of my stature.

I will give it to the girls they have fought hard and have prevailed. They do deserve respect. This has also been Coach Tonya's best year she has ever had as a coach and I commend her for that. I really am going to be shocked and stunned WHEN they go to region.

I get where you are coming from and it's obvious you're well versed on the comings and goings of AAA basketball in this region- a lot more than I. I haven't seen Clinton play. I just keep up with them by their record.

I guess I took offense to how many posters seemed to discount their record as a fluke. However, when someone looks at their schedule you can see they have some impressive wins. They actually competed against Oak Ridge at OR pretty well.

I am happy for Coach Lively-Snyder. She's a former OS alum, classmate, and a cousin of mine.

It's good to see the Clinton program make this type of progress and is now in position to compete with high caliber teams.

I don't think there is any doubt that Clinton will make it to the region tournament as the top four from the district advance to the region. Now advancing to the substate could be another story. When you get to the region, one off night and you are done except for the region finals. Of course, all a team needs is for their opponent to have an off night and they move on.