Is OS Ranked too high?

Guest Wahmbulance

No problem. I have read many of your posts on here and I know you bleed Bobcat Purple. I know that many people in Roane County feel that Kingston gets more than its share of coverage. I will agree with that to an extent, but I think its more because of its location than an attempt to leave anyone out. I know a lot of people from Kingston come in with submitted photos and then when a major accident or fire happens it is easier for the paper to get to scene if it's in Kingston or Harriman. Many times a wreck will be cleaned up or a fire will be out before we make it to OS. That's some of the excuses. I do think the folks in OS will notice a change though because we have a relatively new reporter named Paul Fletcher covering the OS area. Paul is like me in that he'd rather be out in th community that sit at a computer during the day. He's the type that likes to talk to people and get to know them instead of just gathering facts. This should definitely be a plus for the coverage in Oliver Springs.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of reasons the OS girls were and will be an exceptional basketball team this year, if they stay focused. One, they have a couple of exceptional basketball player (Hall and Hackworth) who understand how the game should be played and don't get caught up in a "me first" mentality. Two, they have a very good supporting cast (Seiber, Lankford, Goins, Wampler) who are smart, know what their jobs are and how to do it. Three, Chemistry, by and large the girls seem to like each other and respect each other's basketball abilities(at least the ones that have been together last year and through the summer.) Hopefully, the chemistry part of this won't get screwed up this year and they will stay focused. There's a lot of distractions for these girls.

Concerning, the German girl, you might want to hold off making her the female equivalent of Abdul Jabbar. While being a foreign exchange student, 6'3", and being able to catch a football one handed with a barbeque in the other may sound impressive, it doesn't have a lot to do with basketball. Germany is not on the far side of the moon and I'm pretty sure they play a little basketball there and if you're 6'3 you don't hide real well. Foreign countries(like the United States) start grooming athletes at an early age for specific sports, based on size and athletic ability. Why then are we talking about her as a handball player? I truly believe "you can't teach height", but you've got to have basketball skills to be a player. Is there potential? Maybe, but if she's only going to be here a year does Coach Wright devote the time(in practice and games) to teach her the game at the expense of other players who'll be here after her? Obviously, it's his call.

Good post OSIDER. I think the key to being a dominating post player is the attitude you have. I don't mean running your mouth, but if at 6'3" she could dominate the inside if she plays aggressively, but that is something that is hard to teach. It comes with maturity and understanding the game. If she comes out with the attitude that "I'm going to get every rebound" and then goes and gets it then she'll be tough, but if she plays tentative because she doesn't understand the game then she'll just be a tall player. I think that Dennis Rodman is the prefect example of a player that thought he could dominate a game on the boards. He wasn't the tallest, but he had that "The ball is myne and I'll work harder than anybody to get it" attitude. Granted athletic ability helps, but you have to believe that you can make an impact.

• 2 months later...

OS is not playing great right now. They are still searching for something. They may miss those seniors from last year more than people think. They may not haved played a big role in scoring or rebounding but they were the glue that held that team together. The good thing about basketball though is that it does not matter how you play in November and December but how you play in February and March. That will give this team, with some new parts, plenty of time to get better!