Williamson County

In Hoc Signo Vinces

It is a fact that Williamson County wrestling is on the rise. Does anyone think that Williamson County wrestling will ever rival Bradley and Hamilton counties when it comes to talent? I know that the folks down in Chattanooga like to think of themselves as the cradle of TN wrestling, but the rise of Independence in just a few short years along with traditionally powerful Franklin, as well as a huge group of really good wrestlers that have come out of Williamson county are all evidence of the strengthening of wrestling in this area. Yet again most of the schools top programs in the Chattanooga area dont rebuild, but re-load year after year.

It is my humble opinion that , good wrestling starts with the youth programs . If you can keep the kids interested without burning them out . You have a better chance at building Middle School and High School dynastys . Money helps , cause the kids can travel more and do more tournaments . Plus the medals and trophys are sweeter !!

IMHO -no

When your County gets a D-1 College wrestling program and has 50 years of wrestling champions.

Then you can say it rivals the above powers.

You have 3rd and 4th Gen of families wrestling at the power house programs in Chattanooga. Also they get the best of east TN and N GA at the Baylor and McCallie's programs.

I wish your area the best but just remember only a few teams from Middle TN have ever won State.

(Father Ryan, Overton, Franklin and Clarksville)

If we could get the Traditional State Tourney in Middle TN for a couple of years it might help grow the sport.

IMHO -no

When your County gets a D-1 College wrestling program and has 50 years of wrestling champions.

You have 3rd and 4th Gen of families wrestling at the power house programs in Chattanooga. Also they get the best of east TN and N GA at the Baylor and McCallie's programs.

I wish your area the best but just remember only a few teams from Middle TN have ever won State.

(Father Ryan, Overton and Clarksville)

If we could get the Traditional State Tourney in Middle TN for a couple of years it might help grow the sport.

Don't forget Franklin also won a championship too

IMHO -no

(Father Ryan, Overton and Clarksville)

Great point, Rigger, starting wrestlers early, and alot of them, is key. So exposure to the sport, resources, mentoring(2nd, 3rd, 4th generation), good coaching, etc. Middle Tennessee is holding their own, (D1 and D2), |I do Believe.

Don't forget that West Tennessee has had their fair share of success over the years. Going back to Raleigh Egypt, Bishop Byrne, Christian Brothers and even Germantown. I believe these teams have competed very well over the years with State Runner-Up finishes. Not bad for an area of the state that can't wrestle. We are working hard to get to the top. We will soon enough.

I am a Middle TN native but lived in Chattanooga from 95-99.

When I lived there Wrestling was every where. They had 5/yr's olds on the mats.

They had the Future Champions, AAU and wrestling USA. Wrestling camps for all ages at UTC, McCallie, Baylor, ND, Chatt Cen etc.

WE had the Mocsters sponsored by UTC and had kids from all over the city coming in. They had the chance to meet and work with college wrestlers. That one club ended up having 1 NCSAA National Champion/NCAA Champion, State Champions, finalist and qualifiers from Baylor, McCallie, ND and a few public schools. Plus Bradley and Cleveland programs were up the road and competed against the Mocsters.

Young children had the chance to win medals even State Championships and wrestle other states champions. (OH, FL, GA, AL etc) They had wrestling clubs in the public and private schools and at the middle school level County Championships. I think my sons 6th grade year, 2 of the young men who beat him ended up being State Champions. One went to McCallie and the other Soddy D. He was a State finalist his senior year.

So that one weight class in Hamilton County produced 3 grapplers that made it to the State Finals.

My son??™s Sunday school teacher was a former State Champ, the Soccer team he played on had parents from Baylor, McCallie, ND who all had kids in wrestling. Since I have lived Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis and the Tri-City area over the last 10 years. IMHO-Chattanooga area will hold its grasp for years to come.

When we moved to the Tri City area I felt like he was advanced in the skill level over other grapplers in that area from his time living in and competing in Chattanooga. He went undefeated in AAU that season,

I don??™t know what the interaction is with the private schools like FR and MBA but to become a power the D-II schools and Williamson County schools will have to work with each other to make that area strong enough to compete with the Choo-Choo town and Bradley Co bunch.

I am a Middle TN native but lived in Chattanooga from 95-99.

When I lived there Wrestling was every where. They had 5/yr's olds on the mats.

They had the Future Champions, AAU and wrestling USA. Wrestling camps for all ages at UTC, McCallie, Baylor, ND, Chatt Cen etc.

WE had the Mocsters sponsored by UTC and had kids from all over the city coming in. They had the chance to meet and work with college wrestlers. That one club ended up having 1 NCSAA National Champion/NCAA Champion, State Champions, finalist and qualifiers from Baylor, McCallie, ND and a few public schools. Plus Bradley and Cleveland programs were up the road and competed against the Mocsters.

Young children had the chance to win medals even State Championships and wrestle other states champions. (OH, FL, GA, AL etc) They had wrestling clubs in the public and private schools and at the middle school level County Championships. I think my sons 6th grade year, 2 of the young men who beat him ended up being State Champions. One went to McCallie and the other Soddy D. He was a State finalist his senior year.

So that one weight class in Hamilton County produced 3 grapplers that made it to the State Finals.

My son??™s Sunday school teacher was a former State Champ, the Soccer team he played on had parents from Baylor, McCallie, ND who all had kids in wrestling. Since I have lived Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis and the Tri-City area over the last 10 years. IMHO-Chattanooga area will hold its grasp for years to come.

When we moved to the Tri City area I felt like he was advanced in the skill level over other grapplers in that area from his time living in and competing in Chattanooga. He went undefeated in AAU that season,

I don??™t know what the interaction is with the private schools like FR and MBA but to become a power the D-II schools and Williamson County schools will have to work with each other to make that area strong enough to compete with the Choo-Choo town and Bradley Co bunch.

I think you're exactly right. It all starts with the middle school programs and traveling to AAU tournaments during the off-season. To answer your question, MBA and Ryan both have had middle school programs who have dedicated coaches that spend time away from their families to take these kids all over the state and the south for experience.

In my opinion, Blackman is the perfect example of this. They have come up the ranks because of their successful Sharpshooters program and they have great coaches who are dedicated. It looks as if they will be competing for many years to come which is encouraging to see for all Middle Tn public schools.

I think you're exactly right. It all starts with the middle school programs and traveling to AAU tournaments during the off-season. To answer your question, MBA and Ryan both have had middle school programs who have dedicated coaches that spend time away from their families to take these kids all over the state and the south for experience.

In my opinion, Blackman is the perfect example of this. They have come up the ranks because of their successful Sharpshooters program and they have great coaches who are dedicated. It looks as if they will be competing for many years to come which is encouraging to see for all Middle Tn public schools.

Great point, MWR. Programs can change in 3-4 years, IMHO consistent, dedicated coaching is key...

Great point, MWR. Programs can change in 3-4 years, IMHO consistent, dedicated coaching is key...

I think you hit dead center.

Look at the great programs in the Chattanooga area. Baylor, McCallie, SD and Bradley Central have consistant dedicated coaching. You can ad FR for Middle TN.

When we lived in Knoxville Farragut was the powerhouse in REG 2. (7x stright Reg Champs) and finished as high as 4th in the state in Chattanooga. They had their fair share of State Champs. They averaged about 1 per year during that run. During the 4 years we were there they went through 3 coaches and now have went through a few more. They are not even one of the top 5 programs in their region now.

The coaching, parent support and getting the right grapplers on the mat mean everything.

Look what little ole Greenback has done with a HS of 225 students and a town population approx 954. A young dedicated Coach has brought that team up from no where!

The town of Greenback!