Pickett Co. Basketball

catchpc10

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think you could say that we have had a good run here in Pickett County. Two state titles and around 10 state tourney appearances in this 19 yr span or so. That's pretty good. Been a lot of good players come through Byrdstown over these years. I'm afraid the run is over for a while though. I have been to most of the high school games this season and some of the junior high games. The fact is that the talent level isn't what it used to be. The high school team plays hard and plays smart but they just aren't as good as the other teams. Bibb has done a good job with what he has to work with. He has two guys to build around in Dowdy and Elder but that just isn't enough. And the bad thing is that the sophomores are a decent group but there is a huge dropoff until the 7th grade bunch. They are pretty good though. I expect at least 2 and maybe 3 of them to be playing ahead of all the current freshmen and 8th graders in two years. Maybe we can make it back up to the elite again but it doesn't look good. Well I'm off to Celina to support the Bobcats. Maybe we can hang with them.

First of all, I wanna apologize for being critical of these young players and especially Coach Bibb. He knows what he's doing and I think that goes with how his team has been playing over the last couple of weeks, now they haven't won in a long time, since christmas I think, but they are playing hard for him. Their defense has been absolutely excellent, they've shut down some pretty good players lately. Their problems is with their offense, and if they can ever get that figured out then they'll be right back we're we are used to having them, at top of district 7a. Coach Bibb and his players work as hard, if not harder, than anyone in district and it was wrong of me to say anything to diminish them or take to take away from what they are doing just because I'm an frustrated old bobcat fan. Second, You have two posts on here, so first of all I will listen to nothing you say. As for Elder and Dowdy your right on that, they are good pieces to this puzzle. This group isn't what we're used to having at PC, but they are playing well this year, and basically don't lose that much. I said at this time last year, that Dowdy as a senior and Elder as a junior will be really good, once they got playing time....I was laughed at and told I knew nothing about basketball, well a year later, I'm looking smarter and smarter everyday....These kids haven't reached their full potential. Now i take exception to what you say about the freshman, you've been to high school games, have you seen the freshman play? Because I haven't seen them get to play that much in regular games, to know how good they will or won't be. It's not easy to come in as a freshman and play in Coach Bibb's system. I mean not every freshman is Jacob Wright or Luke Mason and can just play right off the bat. It usually takes til half way through your sophomore year to figure out what kinda player someone is gonna be. Listen I won't comment on any one other than my brother, because he is my brother, I can be hard on him and not be looked down upon by others, but I think some of the other freshman will be good as well. Scott is 6'2 as a freshman right now, as of right now, he's the 4th or 5th tallest guy on the team, well doctor tells us he's still got a year of growing left, maybe he'll grow another 2 inches....but lets say he doesn't grow anymore....ok, well Scott can shoot the lights out of it, I've seen him do it again and again....His problem is in three areas, he's gotta gain some weight, like 20-30 lbs. learn all of Coach Bibb's plays and he's gotta get alot better on the defensive end. He's tall, lanky, and has no trouble scoring.. so yeah, I think by his junior year, he and a couple of the other freshman now are really gonna contribute then. And if I'm wrong, by the end of his senior year, I'll eat my words. As for the current sophomores, all the team has gotta get the ball to Elder, Cummings is gonna have to learn how to a) handle full court pressure, (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> shoot the ball when he has an open look, and c) cut to the basket and either 1) take it to the hoop or 2) bring the defense in and kick it to the open man....because now he just stands at the top of the key and passes it back and forth and that does nothing, but He's only gonna get better with playing time.....Ben Aaron is gonna have to get a little more physical and a little bit better ball protection....they all play hard, and play good defense, they just need improvement on the defensive end. The 8th grade class is a wash, really no size or athleticism there....but their is promise with the 7th grade class, but we really won't know anything about them until fall 2012 really, so anything could happen between now and then..We've gotta think about this, most of the players in the past didn't have a class in front of them blocking their playing time..for example, when Aaron, Crouch, and Asberry where in 8th grade they were good enough to play and play a lot for the high school team, because their wasn't much in front of them, this team had a great team in front of them, so it's gonna take them at least this year to get some playing time under their belt so they can become better players.. I'm proud of how our guys played at Clay tonight, tough physical game, and we were right in it until about 4 mins left in the game....If we could have hit our free throws and not made all those costly turnovers, who knows, maybe we're winners.....but I've watched a lot of games in my life, but tonight I was proud to be a Bobcat for the effort our boys showed.

Pickett Scored 6 in the first half and 13 in the second half

Clay scored 18 in first half and 19 in the second half

Dale led CCHS with 18! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Clay got shut down by PC defense, too bad they didn't have an offense tonight to win them the game....Cause we had Clay at 6 points with 5 or 6 mins to go in the game, and then the officials got involved and we made some turnovers. Hey TopDawg, you should have announced at the end of the game when you said" Clay Co moves to 20-5 and remain atop the standing in 7a", it should have been, tied atop the standings at the very minimum, because actually right now JC holds the tie breaker with you all so they are actually atop the standings in 7a until/if Clay beats them on Tuesday night.

You are exactly right. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Just got caught up in the winning moment. Bobcats played much better than they did at home against us. Emotions running a little high there in the end. I believe the Dawgs were getting a little frustrated that Pickett was hanging with them this time.

Jackson County comes calling next Tuesday. Bulldogs will need to step it up a notch to get the district split with JC in order to win it out right in C'range a week from Thursday.

You are exactly right. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Just got caught up in the winning moment. Bobcats played much better than they did at home against us. Emotions running a little high there in the end. I believe the Dawgs were getting a little frustrated that Pickett was hanging with them this time.

Jackson County comes calling next Tuesday. Bulldogs will need to step it up a notch to get the district split with JC in order to win it out right in C'range a week from Thursday.

No problem TopDawg, happens to the best of us....even I have been known to get caught in the moment a few thousand times or so. Greatly announced game by the way....I don't enjoy that much about Clay Co. but your announcing is something I always do enjoy listening to. Are they gonna allow you to announce the district tourny games this year? Just been a travesty since you've not been doing them....Doesn't feel like the district tournament to me. Still can hear all those "Nathan Aaron for thr-ee" in my head from when I was a jr. higher.

Better game last night by the Bobcats than in the first meeting. We still just can't score enough points to beat a decent team. The boys are playing alright defense but how much can you brag on the defense when you only score 19 points yourself. It was a slow down type of game and that's the only reason we were able to at least be remotely close to Clay. A couple made shots in the first half and it could have been a different game, but I'm sure Clay fans are saying the same thing about their team.

The long-term outlook doesn't look good for the program no matter what 7asuperfan says. He is obviously a die hard but there comes a time when you have to accept reality. Like I said, we don't have the overall talent on the team like we used to. And that includes the whole team. I have seen these boys play for years and they just aren't as good at basketball as the guys before them. That's ok though because they are good kids and play hard and enjoy the game. The freshman and 8th grade classes will be overtaken in two years by our 7th graders and I will stand by that comment. I have seen all of them play many games and IMO the 7th graders may be better than the freshmen right now, but that isn't saying much.

Better game last night by the Bobcats than in the first meeting. We still just can't score enough points to beat a decent team. The boys are playing alright defense but how much can you brag on the defense when you only score 19 points yourself. It was a slow down type of game and that's the only reason we were able to at least be remotely close to Clay. A couple made shots in the first half and it could have been a different game, but I'm sure Clay fans are saying the same thing about their team.

The long-term outlook doesn't look good for the program no matter what 7asuperfan says. He is obviously a die hard but there comes a time when you have to accept reality. Like I said, we don't have the overall talent on the team like we used to. And that includes the whole team. I have seen these boys play for years and they just aren't as good at basketball as the guys before them. That's ok though because they are good kids and play hard and enjoy the game. The freshman and 8th grade classes will be overtaken in two years by our 7th graders and I will stand by that comment. I have seen all of them play many games and IMO the 7th graders may be better than the freshmen right now, but that isn't saying much.

You are darn right I am a die hard fan, will be til the day I die....and there is nothing wrong with that....I'm glad I have faith in coach Bibb and these boys on the team now, and the team coming up through the ranks... I know this seventh grade class is gonna be good, no doubt....but this freshman class might surprise some people too. Only two of these boys played ball at PC jr high and those two were playing with 3 6th graders at the time, the other two are from overton co, so we haven't seen this group play together to know how they will do. Yeah, this program isn't as strong as it used to be, but single A basketball isn't what it used to be. We've played FCS and Clay Co. twice a piece this season, and they are both ranked in the top ten in the state, we've played 3 out of the 4 games close with those teams. If we are so bad how can we hang with the #7 and #8 ranked teams in single A basketball? Our problem isn't that we can't score, our problem is that we have to figure out how to score....What I mean is, that we don't have anyone on the team who has ever had to be the go to guy, so we need one of these guys to realize that they are the scorers and have to score. Jo Dowdy and Heath Elder are well on their way to that. You are obviously down on our program,a glass is half empty kinda guy, you probably don't even go to half the games yourself to watch them....So as I said before I won't take anything you say seriously. This district loses a lot again next year....Clay Co. loses 6 seniors, Clarkrange loses Upchurch.....Jackson Co. will be good, Monterey will be ok, and RBS is moving to 8A next season, so yeah, I think we've definitely got a chance at the district title the next two maybe three seasons.....You don't ever just look at whats going on with your program, you look at what everyone else around you has coming back as well.

No problem TopDawg, happens to the best of us....even I have been known to get caught in the moment a few thousand times or so. Greatly announced game by the way....I don't enjoy that much about Clay Co. but your announcing is something I always do enjoy listening to. Are they gonna allow you to announce the district tourny games this year? Just been a travesty since you've not been doing them....Doesn't feel like the district tournament to me. Still can hear all those "Nathan Aaron for thr-ee" in my head from when I was a jr. higher.

Thanks for the kind sentiments 7ASuperfan. It is always great to know my efforts are appreciated even by the opposing teams' fans. Man, I have really missed doing the District Tourney as well as the Region when I got the chance. LA has turned it into a big "fundraiser" for them so they have been trying to get the tourney ran by "volunteers" from Hogeye which included gate-keepers, book-keepers, clock-keepers and yes, even the announcer. I don't know of that is going to change this year or not. Maybe the Coaches could say something if they wanted me as well. I would jump at the chance to get to do it again. Would probably even take a considerable "cut" in pay to do it. I learned along time ago the way to stay impartial while announcing the tourneys was just to let every thing come out with the same emotion as I do @ CCHS home games no matter what two teams happen to be on the floor. I even missed getting to do the PCHS Sub-State game (the only one that they lost). FYI, I told Coach Bibb and Brent and even Barry while he was still there that I had a winning streak myself! (Every Sub-State game I have announced whether Celina/Clay County girls, Clay County boys, or Pickett County boys, the team I announced FOR has won the game every time) Not bragging just stating the facts. I was at the Chatt A&S loss but was not announcing. I like all the people from Pickett. They always treated me as one of their own when I came to announce. I have also developed some close friendships with several ex-players from those "GLORY-DAYS" as well.

Come say hey at the District Tourney. I won't be hard to find! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

You are darn right I am a die hard fan, will be til the day I die....and there is nothing wrong with that....I'm glad I have faith in coach Bibb and these boys on the team now, and the team coming up through the ranks... I know this seventh grade class is gonna be good, no doubt....but this freshman class might surprise some people too. Only two of these boys played ball at PC jr high and those two were playing with 3 6th graders at the time, the other two are from overton co, so we haven't seen this group play together to know how they will do. Yeah, this program isn't as strong as it used to be, but single A basketball isn't what it used to be. We've played FCS and Clay Co. twice a piece this season, and they are both ranked in the top ten in the state, we've played 3 out of the 4 games close with those teams. If we are so bad how can we hang with the #7 and #8 ranked teams in single A basketball? Our problem isn't that we can't score, our problem is that we have to figure out how to score....What I mean is, that we don't have anyone on the team who has ever had to be the go to guy, so we need one of these guys to realize that they are the scorers and have to score. Jo Dowdy and Heath Elder are well on their way to that. You are obviously down on our program,a glass is half empty kinda guy, you probably don't even go to half the games yourself to watch them....So as I said before I won't take anything you say seriously. This district loses a lot again next year....Clay Co. loses 6 seniors, Clarkrange loses Upchurch.....Jackson Co. will be good, Monterey will be ok, and RBS is moving to 8A next season, so yeah, I think we've definitely got a chance at the district title the next two maybe three seasons.....You don't ever just look at whats going on with your program, you look at what everyone else around you has coming back as well.

JC loses Robinson and Locke however they will have Hensley back at 6'6 in the middle who is getting better every game and should dominate next year. They have the best sophomore class around with Godwin, McMillan, Davis, Jackson, Stewart and Bowman. This group went undefeated in the 6th grade beating everyone including Clinton Co. and Monroe Co. in tournaments as well as their 8th grade year beating the likes of Upperman, Clay, RBS for the championship, Macon, and Allons by 15 and 17 points the two times they played them as well as Rickman, Liv. Middle, and they pounded Avery Trace and Algood the 4 times they played them (cookevilles feeder schools). They have a very talented freshman class with Jaret Goad already seeing alot of playing time and having scored 4 3's in the win over Clay Co. Ethen Kirby is big at 6'3 and will be a very good player when he matures along with Hobie Leonard (Lakens brother) and Jessie McDowell this group is loaded! Their 8th grade class is another blue chip class with Blake Bowman at the head of it and he will probably see immediate action as a freshman, add in Peyton Ragland who is a knock down 3 shooter, two big men inside with Coach Flynns son Corey and Joey Coles son Justin and you can see why the JC's future is very bright! I'm not saying that JC will win anything but i am saying they will be as talented as ANYONE in the UC the next 4-5 years. We are all envious of PC's tradition in boys basketball and hopefully we can start a run like they have had the past 15 + years. If JC stays in Class A which they will for atleast the next 4 years then i look for them to be at or near the top every year. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Thanks for the kind sentiments 7ASuperfan. It is always great to know my efforts are appreciated even by the opposing teams' fans. Man, I have really missed doing the District Tourney as well as the Region when I got the chance. LA has turned it into a big "fundraiser" for them so they have been trying to get the tourney ran by "volunteers" from Hogeye which included gate-keepers, book-keepers, clock-keepers and yes, even the announcer. I don't know of that is going to change this year or not. Maybe the Coaches could say something if they wanted me as well. I would jump at the chance to get to do it again. Would probably even take a considerable "cut" in pay to do it. I learned along time ago the way to stay impartial while announcing the tourneys was just to let every thing come out with the same emotion as I do @ CCHS home games no matter what two teams happen to be on the floor. I even missed getting to do the PCHS Sub-State game (the only one that they lost). FYI, I told Coach Bibb and Brent and even Barry while he was still there that I had a winning streak myself! (Every Sub-State game I have announced whether Celina/Clay County girls, Clay County boys, or Pickett County boys, the team I announced FOR has won the game every time) Not bragging just stating the facts. I was at the Chatt A&S loss but was not announcing. I like all the people from Pickett. They always treated me as one of their own when I came to announce. I have also developed some close friendships with several ex-players from those "GLORY-DAYS" as well.

Come say hey at the District Tourney. I won't be hard to find! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Funny thing is, I knew about your streak....I was ticked off when Coach Bibb let the baseball coach do the announcing. I mean its just a tradition to have you do them. Me and Lance Mason talk about that game and the streak all the time (he's my college roommate). I'm thinking if Coach Bibb is ever in position to host a substate game again, that he better get you back up there. TopDawg, I tell ya, I wish they'd move this district 7a and region 4 back to the way it used to be...with the district games at Avery Trace or Upperman and then every other year we get to host it at one of those sites. I think its ridiculous how our district hasn't hosted a region tournament since '05 when I was a senior. Thanks for putting so much effort into what ya do, I know I sure enjoy it, and most of the former players do as well. You were like the voice of our winter ball games. Your almost as much a tradition as PC basketball has been over the last 20 years. Anyway, I hope they get ya back on the mic, the guy at LA is just simply awful, no heart whatsoever. I'll try and remember to come say hey, hopefully my teams in it long enough to be able to do so.

WOW! I didn't know I had that impact on you guys! I enjoyed it everytime or I wouldn't have done it! Tell my good buddy LM I said hey! I don't want to take over this thread but glad to hear the former players really enjoyed having me do their games that got them to the "BORO"!

Although I don't know you I have heard Devilfanatic talk about you and he really liked the way you announced the games when his son played there. He said you were very knowledgeable about the game. I guess I will find out for myself on Tuesday night!