BGA at MBA

rollredroll

Big Red players, hopefully you guys are up to the challenge this week and are going into this game with the right frame of mind. Specifically, I hope there is no letdown, after (1) a triple OT win at arguably one of the toughest places the Big Red has played in the past few years, and (2) memories of a 38-0 pasting of BGA last year at their place.

I'm sure the BGA guys are ready to play this one, and they seem to have a good amount of talent returning.

What is MBA doing to shore up its run defense after DB exploited some weaknesses last week? Despie giving up an uncomfortable amount of points (even excluding the overtime scores), I was really impressed with MBA last week, especially with not letting up after being down two TDs to what I think is still a good DB team. Hopefully that conditioning and new offensive wrinkles will continue to pay dividends this week.

Good luck. Thoughts appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with all your comments. although if you remember, it wasn't that we were out of position to make the big defensive tackle or play, it's just that we didn't wrap up and bring them down. This week on the defensive side, the focus was mainly on just form tackling, and makin the play. Our coaches are good enough that they'll get us in position to make the play, we just gotta make it happen. We made numerous mistakes on offense as well, but i think we worked relaly hard this week and should look very good...don't worry we're not overlooking anyone after the season we had last year, coach has us ready.

I think depth is the key in this one...and MBA has one game under their belt.

This game is stupid, and shouldn't even be played, why the TSSAA does this I have no idea...on the whole it doesn't benefit the super 7 or d2-aa considering its 7-0 Super 7.

It just makes people drive across the state and play teams, and the gate receipt is poor as well, not to mention they are almost always a blow out. What do you MBA supporters and others think about this?

Ego, I think BGA should move up. Every other sport at BGA plays MBA and Father Ryan and BA- I think BGA should move up in football- it would force them to play at the absolute highest level. I think three classes is quite rediculous, especially when there are only 8 teams in each one. Competition is great in AAA and Ithink, as an alumni of BGA, that the best move is to make the move- its the best decision down the road. better games and more local competition.

But what does BGA excel in outside of football? Basketball wise they havent qualified for sectionals in 4 years correct? Girls basketball they aren't as good as the nashville teams, I dont think they are as good in volleyball are they? Softball they aren't, Baseball they aren't, and wrestling they arent...thats not a knock on them at all...BGA does the most with what they have...I think ND, SBA, KCHS, would have to stay where they are.

The Super 7 is just better overall then any other division in all sports.

Ego, Baseball is good on a yearly basis, softball, voilleyball, and girls soccer all made it to the state tournaments, girls basketball made it to sectionals, BGA mens basketball beat every team in the region except Ryan. THey also beat columbia central. But I guess that means we are not very good at basketball since we beat the stuffings out of MBA once and also came back froma 21-0 deficit to beat BA in basketball. I think that you have no clue what it means to play in such a tough region. I hardly call west tennessee's version of d-II athletics the most competitive. Playing teams like ryan, MBA, HH, and BA make for fun, exciting games. Everyone else at BGA wants to play these teams. Ego, you'd enjoy playing against D-II A teams in football, wouldn't you?

When I was there, those were the games we looked forward to-playing in a division where winning is easy because the teams are crap is no fun. THats why our "other sports" enjoy their region so much.

i got to mba, and play in baseball, basketball, and fooseball, and bga is a very good opponent in all 3 sports. they come to play everynight, and have beaten us in baseball every year i've been there besides last year. But in defense of my basketball team...you only beat us by 8 in basketball last year. Even last year, although we won by 36 or 38, i never really felt comfortable..they have a very dangerous team.

[Edited by BigRed3 on 8-29-02 9:35P]

I'm just looking at the sectionals wildcatfan, and I don't think BGA was there in basketball the last 4 years, I know they made it 5 years ago and upset a Micheal Black led MUS team, but even then they were the third or fourth seed (this might have been before D2)...Baseball wise, I don't remember BGA going to sectionals or state the last few years, but I will surely admit it if I am wrong...Girls basketball wise they might be good, but ECS and Briarcrest who have won the last 2 or three state basketball titles are better and volleyball wise I don't think they are as good as Harding or Briarcrest.

Wildcat, this is not a comparison to say that BGA stinks or whatever, I am not trying to say that, I am saying look at the postseason play, and I don't see BGA being their in baseball or basketball, and although they are good in football, we can assume they would have lost to MBA, BA, CBHS, McCallie, MUS, Baylor, and probably Ryan (Ryan did beat ECS by 14)...I am simply saying that the D2-AA teams as a whole, can not compete against the Super 7, none of them can, and if you think that BGA could, then why aren't they in the postseason more?

Posted by wildcatfan:

BigRed3,

Beating MBA by any amount of points in basketball is darn good- only 'cause your program is so strong. I have nothing but good things to say about your athletic department. I wish y'all great luck this year (although I hope you lose to BGA!).

I really do think it would be great if BGA moved up. No reason they can't compete, especially with the first class facilities they have. The onl;y reason some of the really good football players don't go to BGA is that they want to play the best every week, not just ocasionally. That would chnge if BGA played AAA, IMHO.