DIXIE DUALS

kilroyO

Good luck on getting an answer on that!

Contact.....TN AAU....they have all the answers

Actually Tn Aau has had nothing at all to do with the teams that have been selected to participate in the Dixie Duals or even before when it was the Challenge Cup. This is a Usa wrestling event and before that it was a Fci event. For the last few years the teams were chosen by the coaches that took the time and trouble to head them up. Having participated for many years I can say it is no small task to get a full team together and you do weeks of begging just to get wrestlers. Then you have to deal with the ridicule from the parents of those you did not ask to participate. I have not heard of anyone putting together any teams this year to participate in the Dixie duals because they do not want to deal with the headache. If I hear of something I will post it on here. "nooga" you could head up that little project and Im sure you would have no objections from the people who normally do.

The Aau teams that will be chosen to participate in the Aau elementary duals and the middle school duals will go through a selection process that is being ironed out now.

For the past two years, I've "headed up" a high school division for the Dixie Duals. In 2007, we were Team Chattanooga (which was pretty close to a TN Dream Team) and in 2008, we were Southeast United (which was composed of mostly SE and some upper East and Middle TN wrestlers). Ryan Cooper-Ooltewah, Shawn Cordell-Pride Wrestling Club/Bradley, Jimmy Miller-Science Hill, and Rusty Blackmon-former of Cleveland, have assisted in the whole process as well. In 2007, we won the event, and in 2008 we placed 5th.

I haven't put much thought into it this year, but if there is interest, I'll "head up" another team. I've briefly spoken to Coach Miller, Coach Cooper, and Coach Cordell about it as well. Coach Rains, another key assistant at Bradley, and Andy Morris, Walker Valley head assistant, have expressed interest in helping. As far as selection process, we usually get the highest place winners we can from either division. If challenge matches are necessary or requested, we can accomodate those too.

It is a pain and a lot of time and effort, but it is worth it, because it's just another opportunity for my wrestlers and wrestlers in the surrounding areas to get better and be exposed to great competition. Last year, Team Georgia and Team Alabama Blue were STUDS!!! As mentioned before, I'm willing to head it up again, but this tournament is no joke. If there is legitimate interest, we'll get it on. It is in our best interest to take the best team possible...like I said, we went from 1st to 5th in a year and I'm sure it won't be any easier this year. Email me and let know what you think, if you want to assist, and/or have a wrestler that is interested. My email is: bmsmith@bradleyschools.org. Or holla at me in Clarksville or Chattanooga. Good luck to all.

Ben Smith

Bradley Wrestling

Thx Ben.

Sometimes people dont realize all the hard work and hours and hours of phone calls it takes to do something like this. We appreciate you taking the time to head up the high school division. Ill pass the word on to the people in Chattanooga. I think the above posts were directed at the youth level teams though. I think most people had a misconception that these were state sponsored and funded teams and didnt realize these teams have always been put together by a handful of people wanting the kids to have an opportunity to better themselves. Thx again for all you do and if I can be of any help let me know. I'll shoot you an email with my contact info in case you have lost it.

Mike Sutherland

Thx Ben.

Sometimes people dont realize all the hard work and hours and hours of phone calls it takes to do something like this. We appreciate you taking the time to head up the high school division. Ill pass the word on to the people in Chattanooga. I think the above posts were directed at the youth level teams though. I think most people had a misconception that these were state sponsored and funded teams and didnt realize these teams have always been put together by a handful of people wanting the kids to have an opportunity to better themselves. Thx again for all you do and if I can be of any help let me know. I'll shoot you an email with my contact info in case you have lost it.

Mike Sutherland

Thanks, Mike. I've still got all your info. Let Pitts and all those know so we can get a solid line-up. Last year wasn't as much fun as the year before, but losing never is. I'll be in touch.

Mike - you did a great job with the team last year - preeciatcha more than I can say. My two boys are at the prime weight and age group to maybe do really well at the dixie duals this year and i'd like for them to have that opportunity because it's always been a good competitive event that they've never had the opportunity to attend.

I don't want to be the head coach - that's wayyyyy too much responsibility like Mike said - been there/seen him do it

Coach Smith (or whoever the coach is for these divisions)- you won't have a problem with a couple of volunteers at the 6th grade 82 and the MS 92

If you have info on the coaches for these age divisions, I'd appreciate the contact info.

kilroyO@msn.com

Mike - you did a great job with the team last year - preeciatcha more than I can say. My two boys are at the prime weight and age group to maybe do really well at the dixie duals this year and i'd like for them to have that opportunity because it's always been a good competitive event that they've never had the opportunity to attend.

I don't want to be the head coach - that's wayyyyy too much responsibility like Mike said - been there/seen him do it

Coach Smith (or whoever the coach is for these divisions)- you won't have a problem with a couple of volunteers at the 6th grade 82 and the MS 92

If you have info on the coaches for these age divisions, I'd appreciate the contact info.

kilroyO@msn.com

Mr. Kilroy,

As far as the 6th/MS Divisions, I have no clue who heads those up. The past two years, it has been two different sets of coaches. In 2007, I believe it was Matt Pitts and Justin Otis...not sure, maybe Kevin Emile helped too. And in 2008, I believe, not real sure, I thought it was Mr. Sutherland and Eric Phillips and/or Mike Hatcher from Cleveland/Higher Calling Wrestling Club. This year, no clue. I usually just follow Mr. Sutherland's lead. He's helped with just about everything, hotels, uniforms, contacts, etc. So, Mr. Kilroy, I hope that helps. If I hear, more I'll post it here.

Kilroy,

I will check around and see what kind of interest we have. Check up in your neck of the woods and see if Coach Phillips is interested. Im sure Rabiitt will have some tough kids wanting to go. I wasnt planning on doing anything with it this year due to all the Aau stuff going on and the Elementary and Middle school duals in Iowa but I will help get you guys organized and ready to roll if need be. Just call me and we can discuss it. You have my#