Better enjoy it....

BayouBear

So Nashville and Memphis finally get their wish? The whole thing is based off of travel? Football and basketball more than anything. They (TSSAA) have shaken their "magic eight ball" and it has spoken...Nashville and Memphis will get their wish and finally have a level playing field (wrestling mat) in making a chattanooga team stay home. It doesn't look good for the southeastern part of the state? Its not right. Correct me if I'm wrong but do we or do we not want the best teams being represented at the State Duals in the state? To be the Best you have to beat the Best. For the most part your best teams in the state are in the southeastern part of this state. All we can do is just tighten the straps tighter and get ready for the battles to come...

"To be the Best you have to beat the Best". Now you've got religion! Have the DII champion wrestly the DI champion.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovin it nailed it. These programs are not successful because of some magic potion. They produce teams, year after year that compete at a high level because they are committed to the sport of wrestling. They obviously have a good recipe for success and work year round trying to perfect their craft and stay on that level. They have gone to the State duals year after year and done well because they have done things that other coaches and wrestlers may not be willing to do with true dedication and drive. The term "good for the sport" is being used in place of good, sound logic. What is good for the sport is to have the best teams battling for Tennessee State Championships. What is good for these young men is to let them learn the lesson that hard work, focus and dedication do indeed pay off (both now and later, in life) and that those that are not willing to pay as high a price will usually not reap as much reward. Being rewarded because you happen to have the right geography?? Is that the life lesson we want to teach?

Lovin it nailed it. These programs are not successful because of some magic potion. They produce teams, year after year that compete at a high level because they are committed to the sport of wrestling. They obviously have a good recipe for success and work year round trying to perfect their craft and stay on that level. They have gone to the State duals year after year and done well because they have done things that other coaches and wrestlers may not be willing to do with true dedication and drive. The term "good for the sport" is being used in place of good, sound logic. What is good for the sport is to have the best teams battling for Tennessee State Championships. What is good for these young men is to let them learn the lesson that hard work, focus and dedication do indeed pay off (both now and later, in life) and that those that are not willing to pay as high a price will usually not reap as much reward. Being rewarded because you happen to have the right geography?? Is that the life lesson we want to teach?

I totally agree that the best thing for the sport would be to have the best teams at the state tournament regardless of geography. Tssaa really should find a way to fix that debacle.

Also, the Cleveland and Chattanooga area wrestling programs are like the programs I"ve seen in the Midwest. There are other strong pockets in Tn and more area's will continue to get stronger if they the develop programs starting the kids at a young age along with the schools hiring good coaches.

Could the change in regions lead to a change in coaching staffs at some schools? Would coachs leave programs knowing their chance for success would be better bye coaching at a school in a different region? This could lead to stronger coaching staffs across the state instead of a consentration of good coaching in 1 or 2 regions.The whole state should be considered when making these changes not just 1 or 2 teams in 1or 2 regions.Chattanooga area wrestling teams are no more important than Rutherford county football teams and should be given no preferential treatment just because they feel they are better than everyone else.All regions in all sports should be geographically based.

Should they be punished and not earn what they have worked for because they do well each year and they live within 30 miles of another good team. I just don't understand the reasoning behind the change.

This "Let's give the little guys who never get a shot at the State Championship a chance" is crazy. Why don't we make them work for it and not give them anything they don't deserve.

As for coaching, all but one of the Bradley's coaches wrestled for Bradley, and grew up in Bradley County. The same goes for several other schools around here. I know a few schools have contacted some of the assistant coaches from Bradley about a head coach position, but (Thank the Lord) they have decided to stay.

It might make a difference but by the time we see it the TSSAA will change it all again.

Should they be punished and not earn what they have worked for because they do well each year and they live within 30 miles of another good team. I just don't understand the reasoning behind the change.

This "Let's give the little guys who never get a shot at the State Championship a chance" is crazy. Why don't we make them work for it and not give them anything they don't deserve.

As for coaching, all but one of the Bradley's coaches wrestled for Bradley, and grew up in Bradley County. The same goes for several other schools around here. I know a few schools have contacted some of the assistant coaches from Bradley about a head coach position, but (Thank the Lord) they have decided to stay.

It might make a difference but by the time we see it the TSSAA will change it all again.

That four time state champ from Alabama went to Bradley? That is some kind of trick there.

Tex,

Read CAREFULLY.

"All BUT ONE of Bradley's coaches went to Bradley and live in Bradley county"

The ONE would be the one that is from ALABAMA.

Hope this helps, but sorry it ruined your sarcasm.

Dang it....and I was on a roll early this morning. At least I got to mention the four state championships for Chad.

Sorry Lovinit.

So what all of you are saying is because Rutherford County is stronger in football more schools in their region should get teams in the playoffs and their should be more Memphis area teams in the state tourny in basketball.Next thing you'll be asking for is more individual slots for Chatt area kids in the individual state tourny.

Actually, yes, I would support changes of that nature.

Also worth pointing out, Chattanooga will now have the opportunity to get more than two qualifiers in the A-AA duals in the new plan. Most years, I expect they will get three (two from District 5 will have east Nashville to go through, while one other out of District 4 will beat the team that finishes second to Greenback--which might even be a Chatt-area team itself, as McMinn Central is in District 3). The basic reason here is simply that the Hamilton County school system has targeted a high-school size that falls in the AA range.

So what all of you are saying is because Rutherford County is stronger in football more schools in their region should get teams in the playoffs and their should be more Memphis area teams in the state tourny in basketball.Next thing you'll be asking for is more individual slots for Chatt area kids in the individual state tourny.

Yes, I would support all of those proposals. Rewarding hard work is more important than geography.

That hard work may mean winning your region first not being rewarded just for being in a strong region.Their were surprises and let downs at state and it will be that way every year.Lets say we change the rules to let the extra team from a certain region in and they end up with the injurys like Blackman had and their aren't as many strong teams in that supposedly strong region all of a sudden because of injuries or illness or kids not making weight now all the other regions are having stronger teams healthy teams out. Things happen all the time so lets not change criteria just because a certain region is currently strong or weak you never know when that will change.Most people believe1-4 place teams were where they probably belonged letting in the Owls or Mustangs wuoldn't have changed that so who cares about anyone that placed out of the top 4.