TECHNICAL FOUL

hsscout

LATELEY IN THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS MORE AND MORE PLAYERS HAVE BEEN GETTING TECHNICAL FOULS. ARE THE PLAYERS OUT OF CONTROL OR ARE THE OFFICALS BEING TO STRICK? WHAT SHOULD BE DONE TO FIX THIS

Some refs call a T in almost every game they officiate and that is wrong. having said that, what players get away with now is ridiculous. A long time ago if you got a foul called you had to raise your hand. Now if a player raises his hand he is usually going to make a gesture. I think most of the Ts that I have seen called this year have been justified.

the refs have been out of control this year they call T's over nothing even just slapping the floor and there doing it late in games where it can be a deciding factor of the game there dosen't need to be a T late in a game unless its absoultly neccesarry like a punch, elbow, cursing, ect. but they have called T's this year over nothing to almost comical some of the ones ive seen this year don't get me wrong there is no place for elbows or throwing punches or foul language but a T for being upset with a call and havin a upset look on there face is not grounds for a T

Kids that play with emotion get T's even when the emotion is not directed at another player or the ref. I've seen kids get T's for being upset with themselves. Ok, the kid has to harness his emotions. I get that. That's the coach's job and not the ref's. Ref's need thicker skin. If the crowd is getting to them, they aren't focused on the game at hand. I umpire. I enjoy a good heckler that knows the game. Too many refs look at T's as a notch on their belt. Saw a coach get ejected this season and he never addressed an official at all. Got a T for messing up a number on the roster, was confined to his seat (which is just not knowing the rules very well on the ref's part) and then was ejected when he stood up to call a defense late in the game. The ref thoroughly enjoyed ejecting the coach until he found out he was in the wrong for confining him to his seat to begin with. Ref's like this are in it for the wrong reason.

Now, players need to pull up their shorts, respect their elders and the game and they might find themselves getting fewer T's as a result.

Part of a ref's job is keeping a game from getting out of control.---If a player or a coach deserves a 'T', they should get it. What difference does it make if it's early in the game, or, a game decider?-- --I realize that occasionally a referee will "bait" a coach, for whatever reason. Or, occasionally a ref will 'jump the gun' and call an unnecessary ' T '. ----But--- Let's face the facts. The game of basketball is no different than everyday life. 'Some players' and 'some coaches' have been spoiled by leinient treatment in life.--- They feel they have the 'right' to curse,play unnecessarily rough,throw temper tantrums or whatever. ---Then, when they cause, or contribute to, a loss because of their misbehavior, they choose to blame the ref. ---If there's more 'T's being called this year, do you think it might just be, that misbehavior has increased?

Players getting techs or getting called for intentional fouls show a lack of discipline...

Sometimes it's just a split second lack of judgement but still a lack of discipline.....Players have to respect the referees..They are in control of the game..They are the authority....Does that make them right on every call ??...Hardly...But they are doing the best they can, I believe, as a whole....I don't think there are actually refs out there conspiring against a team or coach....May look like it at times but I don't think it actually is a problem....Some refs are quicker with a tech than others..I do believe that...I would think it would be the job of the coach to warn his kids when he knows who is going to officiate the game to check themselves and watch what they do and say on the court when they have that ref working their games....

My advice to the kids would be to just play hard, concentrate on their assignments and leave all that "me, me, look at me" garbage for the pros....

And for God's sake at least tie your baggy shorts tight around your waists so you don't have to hold them up running down the floor...Next time you guys watch Tennessee on the tube check out Tyler Smith....He can't move around for pulling his shorts up....