Powell Football '09

powellbubba

Powell lost an all-state quarterback, two recievers that made various all-star teams, a solid running back, the starting tight end and three of five starting offensive linemen. On defense they lost all three starting defensive linemen and all three starters in the defensive backfield as well as the top backup at DB. Where does this leave them for next season?

I think they are going to be fine. Obviously Powell lost some outstanding players, but there were a lot of young players - freshmen and sophomores - who saw considerable snaps this past season, and particuarly down the stretch. There is a lot of talent in the rising sophomore and junior classes to go along with some key rising seniors.

Spring practice should be interesting, seeing who ends up on which side of the ball and at what position.

The Panthers have several holes to fill, but that is normal for most teams. The kids that are competing to fill those holes are very capable football players. With an additional year of growing and being in the weight room some of the holes should be filled with athletes that are as capable as the ones who played in front of them this past year. In some instances, maybe even better. But usually when you're breaking in a new QB it is going to take some time to get the offense to click. That is amplified when you're simultaneously breaking in new receivers. So expect a few hiccupps along the way offensively. Defensively I believe Powell will be solid. The DB's and LB's should be strong and there is enough talent to quickly find a solid DL. One final note, the realignment of the district certainly didn't hurt. So I expect Powell to have a good year, but I believe 2010 is even more promising. Good luck Panthers.

Powell is probably coming off one of the most sucessful JV & Freshman seasons that PHS has had in many years. It's true they lost some fine football players, but the young guys should start filling those holes. Offense may look a little different this season. QB will complete more mid-range and short passes.They will need to find receivers with good hands. The run game should improve with some good young talent there. OL will need to find a couple players, three returners.

Defense should be soild with a number of good DL players. DL should be the strength for this team. LB should improve with some better young athletes at those spots. DB will be new, but they have some good young football players there also. Should be better at supporting the run this season. Defense should get better as the season goes on.

Powell better watch out for the Red Devils cause we are getting ready to rock this new region or district or whatever you call it.

I think Powell lost so many players that they had better be watching out for everybody on their schedule. I agree that the defense should get better as the season goes along. One thing I noticed watching some of the JV and freshmen games -- and I know that JV and freshman success doesn't automatically translate to varsity success -- is they have a lot of defensive linemen that can play. I know they played a freshman and a sophomore some last year on the varsity, but they also have some good looking ends. With that much talent on the D-line I wonder if there's any chance they leave the 3-5 and go to a 4-3? Offensively I don't see the big-play potential they had last year with Houston being able to run or throw the length of the field on almost any play. By the way, does anyone know where Houston is going to play in college?

I agree with the number of good D-Line the 4-3 would be a good defense for this group. Maybe not as the base D, but a really good second D. I think we are going to surpise some people on offense. They should be more balanced with the pass and run. Finding a TE is giong to be key and receivers that catch everything. Who are some of the receivers to look for next year.

I really hope Houston goes on to the next level, he's great athlete and really good player. I've heard a number of schools have shown lots of interest, but I don't think he's signed yet with anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm optimistic about Powell's chances in 2009. They have great potential as far as talent goes, and they will simply continue to get stronger as the next few years go by. I think this year, however, they will be among the top contenders for a playoff spot.

On another note... how does everyone think the region will stack up by the time November rolls around?