Girls wrestling

Indian

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a volunteer coach at McMinn County High School this year and we had a young lady, Kelsey Hampton, that was the 112 state champion. I will proclaim to anyone that she is one of the hardest working wrestlers (guy or girl) I have ever met or had the opportunity to be around. She is now trying to talk her dad into letting her skip her junior prom so she can practice twice a day and go to Oklahoma to wrestle in a girls national tournament.

How many girls do you know that would do this? Very very few. There are not many guys that would miss a chance of fun at prom to train and wrestle halfway across the country. This young lady is a true competitor. I had a few girls on my teams when I was in high school and they also worked extremely hard. Harder then most guys in fact.

Anyone that thinks girls wrestling is silly, perverted, or a waste of time is a complete and total idiot! These girls are more courageous then the guys. Here are my reasons:

1. They are trying to get a "unpopular" thought and practice accepted and sanctioned by the state.

2. Most have to practice against guys that are bigger and stronger.

3. Most are more dedicated then guys because MOST guys would quit if they had the negative comments and talk about them in their sport of choice.

4. Most have to put up with many CLOSED minded people (Some of which are posting on this thread).

5. Worst of all is many of these girls are very nice, intelligent, sweet young ladies that have to hear how their sport is perverted and in some way makes them less ladylike.

In conclusion, if you are closed minded, ignorant, or think girls wrestling is silly here is some very good advice. Get out of your seat and leave! If you are in your own mind or openly going to belittle this athletes and their accomplishments then you are a true moron! So quit living in the 1940's and realize that America has changed for the BETTER!

So no one can say I am just hiding behind a screenname I am:

Barry Kauffman

I wrestled at:

Rhea County High School 04-07

Carson-Newman College 07-08

I am a volunteer coach at McMinn County High School this year and we had a young lady, Kelsey Hampton, that was the 112 state champion. I will proclaim to anyone that she is one of the hardest working wrestlers (guy or girl) I have ever met or had the opportunity to be around. She is now trying to talk her dad into letting her skip her junior prom so she can practice twice a day and go to Oklahoma to wrestle in a girls national tournament.

How many girls do you know that would do this? Very very few. There are not many guys that would miss a chance of fun at prom to train and wrestle halfway across the country. This young lady is a true competitor. I had a few girls on my teams when I was in high school and they also worked extremely hard. Harder then most guys in fact.

Anyone that thinks girls wrestling is silly, perverted, or a waste of time is a complete and total idiot! These girls are more courageous then the guys. Here are my reasons:

1. They are trying to get a "unpopular" thought and practice accepted and sanctioned by the state.

2. Most have to practice against guys that are bigger and stronger.

3. Most are more dedicated then guys because MOST guys would quit if they had the negative comments and talk about them in their sport of choice.

4. Most have to put up with many CLOSED minded people (Some of which are posting on this thread).

5. Worst of all is many of these girls are very nice, intelligent, sweet young ladies that have to hear how their sport is perverted and in some way makes them less ladylike.

In conclusion, if you are closed minded, ignorant, or think girls wrestling is silly here is some very good advice. Get out of your seat and leave! If you are in your own mind or openly going to belittle this athletes and their accomplishments then you are a true moron! So quit living in the 1940's and realize that America has changed for the BETTER!

So no one can say I am just hiding behind a screenname I am:

Barry Kauffman

I wrestled at:

Rhea County High School 04-07

Carson-Newman College 07-08

great post. I think you will find that as you grow your wisdom in the art of the argument, you will find that calling others idiots, morons, etc. is not the best way to gain agreement to your side.

Texas23,

Neither is questioning the technical proficiency of a kid that by your admission you did not watch wrestle.

I usually respect your insights, but you are acting with a lack of information here.

By the way, Janie Goldstein pinned all three of her opponents with a bar and half. She scored her takedowns with snapdowns and block and gos, just as well or better than most of the guys on our team.

She wrestled the system we taught her. I take exception at your casting uninformed aspersions on her ability.

Texas23,

Neither is questioning the technical proficiency of a kid that by your admission you did not watch wrestle.

I usually respect your insights, but you are acting with a lack of information here.

By the way, Janie Goldstein pinned all three of her opponents with a bar and half. She scored her takedowns with snapdowns and block and gos, just as well or better than most of the guys on our team.

She wrestled the system we taught her. I take exception at your casting uninformed aspersions on her ability.

do not go off half cocked here,,,,,I never , ever mentioned the girl wrestler you just named or any other wrestler in this thread.

I just said that if the guy is going to call people with opposing views , idiot and morons, it would be more difficult to win someone over to his side of the argument. I doubt you disagree with that statement.

Please go back to my post and show me where I did what you accuse me of. If I agree, I will apologize for doing it. While I may not like the idea of girls wrestling, I would not try to insult the individuals who are wrestling, I can promise you that.

All wrestling must start at some point. I am new in Texas this year. Texas has only officially had wrestling as a sport since 1999. Now it is not that the good coaches aren't down here and it is not that there are no good athletes wrestling, but the quality of the wrestling is below the level that I was accustomed to seeing in Tennessee. I have called more falls with a 3/4 nelson with the leg trapped while sucking the head under for a fall this year than I have seen as a competitor, referee and coach the last 23 years in Tennessee. The overall skill set is not there yet. Will it improve? Only time will tell, but more than likely it will with increased emphasis, an increase in kids programs and more schools adopting wrestling and bringing in good coaches. According to those that I have talked to in Texas, the wrestling is far better than it was 10 years ago.

What does this have to do with girl's wrestling in Tennessee? Well, everything in my estimation. Right now it is in it's true infancy, the 1st TN state championship. With time the skillset will improve. the technique will improve, the intensity will better and the entertainment value of wrestling will get better for the fans. I saw the Texas Girl's State Championship this past weekend, held alongside the boys, and the medals and finals matches were just as intense and entertaining as watching the boy's medals and finals. The skills they use are different (ask national women's freestyle coach Terry Steiner about different techniques that work on boys do not work on girls), but the matches were fun to watch nevertheless.

Most importantly though, the girls that wrestle will have the opportunity to experience the same benefits that we men have gotten from being a part of this great sport. Colleges programs are being added year after year (there are around 16 programs now, only 7 programs 4 years ago). Long term this may be what helps keep college men's programs alive, using the same existing facilities to house a women's program alongside the mens' program.

All wrestling must start at some point. I am new in Texas this year. Texas has only officially had wrestling as a sport since 1999. Now it is not that the good coaches aren't down here and it is not that there are no good athletes wrestling, but the quality of the wrestling is below the level that I was accustomed to seeing in Tennessee. I have called more falls with a 3/4 nelson with the leg trapped while sucking the head under for a fall this year than I have seen as a competitor, referee and coach the last 23 years in Tennessee. The overall skill set is not there yet. Will it improve? Only time will tell, but more than likely it will with increased emphasis, an increase in kids programs and more schools adopting wrestling and bringing in good coaches. According to those that I have talked to in Texas, the wrestling is far better than it was 10 years ago.

What does this have to do with girl's wrestling in Tennessee? Well, everything in my estimation. Right now it is in it's true infancy, the 1st TN state championship. With time the skillset will improve. the technique will improve, the intensity will better and the entertainment value of wrestling will get better for the fans. I saw the Texas Girl's State Championship this past weekend, held alongside the boys, and the medals and finals matches were just as intense and entertaining as watching the boy's medals and finals. The skills they use are different (ask national women's freestyle coach Terry Steiner about different techniques that work on boys do not work on girls), but the matches were fun to watch nevertheless.

Most importantly though, the girls that wrestle will have the opportunity to experience the same benefits that we men have gotten from being a part of this great sport. Colleges programs are being added year after year (there are around 16 programs now, only 7 programs 4 years ago). Long term this may be what helps keep college men's programs alive, using the same existing facilities to house a women's program alongside the mens' program.

And the sad part is this, how many of those colleges used to have a men's team? Title 9 was perverted into a zero sum calculation. It isn't applied the way Congress conceived of it but is applied the way the courts have ruled. Long term this is just one more nail for men's minor sports in college.

And the sad part is this, how many of those colleges used to have a men's team? Title 9 was perverted into a zero sum calculation. It isn't applied the way Congress conceived of it but is applied the way the courts have ruled. Long term this is just one more nail for men's minor sports in college.

Yes we know how you feel about Title 9.....But how many Colleges have done away with their football program, not because of title 9, but because it was just to expensive to keep to have a team.

Maybe someone can explain to me how UTC can have both a Mens wrestling team and a football team and still stay within the guide lines of title 9? Everyone knows the football team looses a ton of money each year.

Yes we know how you feel about Title 9.....But how many Colleges have done away with their football program, not because of title 9, but because it was just to expensive to keep to have a team.

Maybe someone can explain to me how UTC can have both a Mens wrestling team and a football team and still stay within the guide lines of title 9? Everyone knows the football team looses a ton of money each year.

You can't know how I feel about Title 9 because if I really expressed it, I'd get banned from Coacht.

466 at last count have gotten rid of wrestling since 1972 including 9 in TN http://www.intermatwrestle.com/college/dropped.aspx I doubt anywhere near that number have dropped football. Too much alumnae support even for lousy teams.

UTC wrestling exists because I and a lot of folks in the Chattanooga area contribute directly to the program and if you want to keep at least one competitive college team in the state, you can contribute too. There are enough influential alumnae and trustees who have a connection to the program to protect it. I imagine under the perverse interpretation of Title 9, a like amount which is donated to wrestling is given to women's athletics by the school to keep support at parity.

You can't know how I feel about Title 9 because if I really expressed it, I'd get banned from Coacht.

466 at last count have gotten rid of wrestling since 1972 including 9 in TN http://www.intermatwrestle.com/college/dropped.aspx I doubt anywhere near that number have dropped football. Too much alumnae support even for lousy teams.

UTC wrestling exists because I and a lot of folks in the Chattanooga area contribute directly to the program and if you want to keep at least one competitive college team in the state, you can contribute too. There are enough influential alumnae and trustees who have a connection to the program to protect it. I imagine under the perverse interpretation of Title 9, a like amount which is donated to wrestling is given to women's athletics by the school to keep support at parity.

Country.....once again we find ourselves completely on the same page of an issue. Something wrong here? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="