5A championship Temple vs Grace

bbjunkie

What does everyone think are the keys? Going in Temple has the advantage, essentially playing a "home" game. Hopefully, the referees will do better than their second game at Grace, too many flops and refs suckeered into calling fouls which the offenses initiated. Will Grace play as a team? It seems sad that the Grace guards are told they have D1 potential when they either don't see or refuse to see the OPEN man (ie 3pt shooter in the corner or their center completely sealing off his defender). Unless you are a 6'6" phenom as a guard you MUST show you can pass. Maybe your own scoring will lower alittle but forget playing at the next level if you can't win because you wont pass to a player who has a higher percentage shot. The game should be close and maybe the adage, "whoever wants to WIN more" is the largest key. looking forward to it!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temple will win. In the big games, they have Grace's number. Sexton will be the best player on the floor.

For once in my life, I think taydizzle might be right.

Grace's coach Mattheiss had a suprising defensive game plan of zeroing in on Temple's Kemp and limiting him to 3 points (I think) in the last match up. I think that game plan may have thrown Temple's offense a little out of whack. It limited Sexton's ability to distribute the ball, which is what he looks to do first. If Mattheiss tries that again, which you would assume he would since it was so effective last time, I expect Sexton to step up his scoring and just put his team on his back.

Also, if Temple can get Shaughnessy in foul trouble early, their path to the bucket will get freed up and they should be able to score at will.

Just my opinions. If I'm wrong it's because I started this post by agreeing with taydizzle.

What does everyone think are the keys? Going in Temple has the advantage, essentially playing a "home" game. Hopefully, the referees will do better than their second game at Grace, too many flops and refs suckeered into calling fouls which the offenses initiated. Will Grace play as a team? It seems sad that the Grace guards are told they have D1 potential when they either don't see or refuse to see the OPEN man (ie 3pt shooter in the corner or their center completely sealing off his defender). Unless you are a 6'6" phenom as a guard you MUST show you can pass. Maybe your own scoring will lower alittle but forget playing at the next level if you can't win because you wont pass to a player who has a higher percentage shot. The game should be close and maybe the adage, "whoever wants to WIN more" is the largest key. looking forward to it!

Grace plays on that court just as frequently (almost never) as Temple does, so I don't see Temple having any advantage.

Grace plays on that court just as frequently (almost never) as Temple does, so I don't see Temple having any advantage.

Temple does have a homecourt advantage. Although Temple never plays there (or hasn't this year), some of those guys have grown up in that gym. I am sure that James Kemp has shot just as many shots in McGilvray Gymnasium as he has in Vance. However, this is no reason for Grace fans or anyone else to "whine" about homecourt advantages. If they want one, they need to build a bigger gym so they can be a host.

Temple does have a homecourt advantage. Although Temple never plays there (or hasn't this year), some of those guys have grown up in that gym. I am sure that James Kemp has shot just as many shots in McGilvray Gymnasium as he has in Vance. However, this is no reason for Grace fans or anyone else to "whine" about homecourt advantages. If they want one, they need to build a bigger gym so they can be a host.

I don't hear anyone whinning about homecourt advantage. Just worry about yourself, Grace fans are just fine with playing in McGilvaray........ thank you very much!!! Grace players will be ready to play, it doesn't really matter where!!!

I expect Grace's 3 to 1 advantage in crowd to quickly negate any experience a couple of Temple's kids have shooting hoops at McGilvary.

I expect Grace's 3 to 1 advantage in crowd to quickly negate any experience a couple of Temple's kids have shooting hoops at McGilvary.

That's a good point. Personally, I just feel that a large crowd of Golden Eagles will have little effect on the Crusaders. From what I can see, they are mentally tougher than the average high school basketball team. Temple's fans showed up at Vance earlier this year. Think they won't show tomorrow?

The key for Temple to win against Grace on Tuesday is James Kemp. Jeremy Sexton is going to do what he always does, but if James does not get enough attempts from beyond the arc, it makes it hard to win.

If Jeremy, James, and Brandon Andrews are all on, I seriously doubt any single a team in the state can beat Temple.

That's a good point. Personally, I just feel that a large crowd of Golden Eagles will have little effect on the Crusaders. From what I can see, they are mentally tougher than the average high school basketball team. Temple's fans showed up at Vance earlier this year. Think they won't show tomorrow?

I think Temple's fans will show up, but will still be outnumbered 3 to 1. Plus, the average Temple fan is old and quiet, and can't compete with the rowdy Grace student section.