Takedown Artist

In Hoc Signo Vinces

That would be my former high school coach and one of my personal heros (along with Terry Riggins from East Literature (a quick shout out)): Coach Doug Newman

Thank God we never got to see that man in a singlet!!!!

Also, i cannot believe we are talking about takedown artist and no one has mentioned Tim Buchanan from Hunters Lane. This guy broke the National Takedown record somewhere between 93-96, i can't remember when. But all he ever did was take the guy down and cut 'em! Is there a criteria that you have to be a state champion? I mean, i strongly believe he would have been a state champ, but Tim Voiles from Lookout Valley now a Notre Dame coach, had a different opinion back in those days....

Did Coach Newman coach Goodletsville prior to that?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the same coach Newman. His son Michael is the coach at McCallie.

Thanks I did not know that. Small world.

I went against his teams and grapplers in the late 70's. (They had hot mat girls)

I miss those small schools. Madison and Goodletsville were big rivals back then. I think that is all they tauhgt us back then was takedowns and switch. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I think that is all they tauhgt us back then was takedowns and switch. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

And my personal favorite! The Lateral Drop!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Thanks Coach Newman!!!

That would be my former high school coach and one of my personal heros (along with Terry Riggins from East Literature (a quick shout out)): Coach Doug Newman

Thank God we never got to see that man in a singlet!!!!

Also, i cannot believe we are talking about takedown artist and no one has mentioned Tim Buchanan from Hunters Lane. This guy broke the National Takedown record somewhere between 93-96, i can't remember when. But all he ever did was take the guy down and cut 'em! Is there a criteria that you have to be a state champion? I mean, i strongly believe he would have been a state champ, but Tim Voiles from Lookout Valley now a Notre Dame coach, had a different opinion back in those days....

I guess I will bite.....what was the deal w/ Tim Voiles?

I agree, Sweeton could ankle pick you, or hit the fireman's with ease. You knew it was coming, yet he still pulled it off. They should have made "moves" tapes from his fireman's

And the unstoppable front headlock should you ever have the misfortune of shooting on him.

I'll go out on the limb and say David Vance, best ever on td's in Tennessee HS and in college, UTC's Charlie Heard. Am I wrong?

Nothing major. Voiles wanted to be state champion, and achieved it, so Buchanan was not allowed to be champion.

How can you not be allowed? Could he not win a starting spot on the team? Did Voiles not let him start for some reason? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

How can you not be allowed? Could he not win a starting spot on the team? Did Voiles not let him start for some reason? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

IF YOU HAVE TWO REALLY GOOD WRESTLERS IN THE SAME WEIGHT CLASS. THE BEST ONE WILL BE THE STATE CHAMPION AND THE OTHER WILL PLACE EITHER SECOND OR THIRD DEPENDING ON THE LUCK OF THE DRAW.

THE ANIMAL

IF YOU HAVE TWO REALLY GOOD WRESTLERS IN THE SAME WEIGHT CLASS. THE BEST ONE WILL BE THE STATE CHAMPION AND THE OTHER WILL PLACE EITHER SECOND OR THIRD DEPENDING ON THE LUCK OF THE DRAW.

THE ANIMAL

For example, take Croy and Mike Kennedy.

PRT iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />