do you think coach Robert High (Brainerd) the best coach in tennessee

bhs09

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to argue this point because Coach High has had great success over his years of coaching. However, all I can base my opinion is by the one time I coached against him. As a 27 year old head coach with a trip to the state tournament on the line, my team beat his by running a simple post to post screen about 10 times getting layups. Then, in the second half when we tried to protect the lead with a 2-3 zone, his players (which were very athletic) contined to bomb 3's as they finished 1-18 from beyond the arc instead of attacking the zone full of less-athletic kids. I was very surprised to see the lack of adjustments that were made that night. I was a rookie head coach with very little knowledge of the game.......but on that night in 1999 I looked like the veteran. Oh well...he could have just had a bad night..who knows.

I hate to argue this point because Coach High has had great success over his years of coaching. However, all I can base my opinion is by the one time I coached against him. As a 27 year old head coach with a trip to the state tournament on the line, my team beat his by running a simple post to post screen about 10 times getting layups. Then, in the second half when we tried to protect the lead with a 2-3 zone, his players (which were very athletic) contined to bomb 3's as they finished 1-18 from beyond the arc instead of attacking the zone full of less-athletic kids. I was very surprised to see the lack of adjustments that were made that night. I was a rookie head coach with very little knowledge of the game.......but on that night in 1999 I looked like the veteran. Oh well...he could have just had a bad night..who knows.

I hate to say this and it may not make any sense to some but I dont think he is a very good coach. He has had some great athletes and it was a time that all the good players in the City wanted to go to BHS. He has always had talent but if you look at his record as of late when the talent in the city is now spread out he hasnt proven himself. Actually I would bet the house on MOOSE. Moose McGary is a way better coach than High he just didnt have the chance to coach a High School team because all the jobs were always taken. If a game comes down to coaching I think Brainerd would lose

yall are so funny more than 850 wins 3 state titles 2 runner ups who has more wins then him in tennesse and after tonight i don't even wanna see anything about howard and they coach a shot clock will kill moose coach high has coached will having a shot clock in the bahamas every year and won it quite a few time so i don't wanna see a post about moose he has no titles or nothing but you can have all the talent in the world but for yoiu to be successful you have to know how to use it obvious high know how he never missed a region tournment since he been coaching at brainerd but the 3 states and 2 runner ups and the 850+ wins says it all but i have to admit yall are funny

yall are so funny more than 850 wins 3 state titles 2 runner ups who has more wins then him in tennesse and after tonight i don't even wanna see anything about howard and they coach a shot clock will kill moose coach high has coached will having a shot clock in the bahamas every year and won it quite a few time so i don't wanna see a post about moose he has no titles or nothing but you can have all the talent in the world but for yoiu to be successful you have to know how to use it obvious high know how he never missed a region tournment since he been coaching at brainerd but the 3 states and 2 runner ups and the 850+ wins says it all but i have to admit yall are funny

Could you please you some form of grammar and punctuation? Geez... There is one coach that I know of that has more wins. Ronnie Davis, Polk County. Just went over the 900 win mark earlier this year. Not saying he's a better coach, just stating that he has more wins.

As for Coach High, you can't argue his accomplishments. His record speaks for itself. But... look at the talent he has had over the years. Besides Howard and alot of the Memphis teams, nobody has had that kind of talent year after year. There's no doubt that he is a great coach though.

After last night!!!! What about how Moose has dominated him and his zone all of these years. Robert has only beat him 1 time. and the dominance will continue next year. You must be one of highs little boys. Hey you know what they say about old robert. and the large number of wins come from Talent and THIRTY plus years of coaching, what other coach even has 10

After last night!!!! What about how Moose has dominated him and his zone all of these years. Robert has only beat him 1 time. and the dominance will continue next year. You must be one of highs little boys. Hey you know what they say about old robert. and the large number of wins come from Talent and THIRTY plus years of coaching, what other coach even has 10

How long has Moose been coaching Howard he wasnt there when I played under High. Howard never beat us maybe once out my four years.

let me say this, I have never coached against Robert High but I played against his teams for years. I dont think he is the best coach in the state but at the same time he is far from the worst. I dont think people relaize what time of talent he had year in and year out. Here is a list of players that I either say play or played against who played at Brainerd

D-1 players

Malcom Mackey ( Georgia tech, phoenix suns)

Tsombe High ( University of Miami)

Jay Price ( Univesity of Tennessee)

Mark Smith (University of Tennessee at Chattanooga)

Cj Black ( University of Tennessee, NBDL)

Johnny Goodman( led the nation in scoring in JuCO, NAIA national championship at Martin Methodist maybe went to Idaho as well but not sure)

Harris Walker (#1 ranked PG coming out of prep school in 1999, University of Tennessee)

This is just an abbreviated list of the type of talent he has brought through brainerd High school not sure if any team or caoch can say they have coached that much talent in a span of 20 years)

let me say this, I have never coached against Robert High but I played against his teams for years. I dont think he is the best coach in the state but at the same time he is far from the worst. I dont think people relaize what time of talent he had year in and year out. Here is a list of players that I either say play or played against who played at Brainerd

D-1 players

Malcom Mackey ( Georgia tech, phoenix suns)

Tsombe High ( University of Miami)

Jay Price ( Univesity of Tennessee)

Mark Smith (University of Tennessee at Chattanooga)

Cj Black ( University of Tennessee, NBDL)

Johnny Goodman( led the nation in scoring in JuCO, NAIA national championship at Martin Methodist maybe went to Idaho as well but not sure)

Harris Walker (#1 ranked PG coming out of prep school in 1999, University of Tennessee)

This is just an abbreviated list of the type of talent he has brought through brainerd High school not sure if any team or caoch can say they have coached that much talent in a span of 20 years)

I rest my case... Not saying he isnt a VERY good coach, but when you have that kind of talent it helps. Most of the time he could just out-athlete people because he had better players.

How long has Moose been coaching Howard he wasnt there when I played under High. Howard never beat us maybe once out my four years.

This is his 4th year. And when did you graduate from brainerd so I can give you an actual fact of how many times Howard beat you because when Harris Walker was there Brainerd was dominant but other than that each team has had their spurts and U have to realize Frank Jones put a whippn on robert High as well. He beat Higgins but he only coached there for 3 years maybe but moose has dominated Robert. When did you graduate