CPA Basketball: Did they Under-Achieve

bricedrew

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the allegations of CPA basketball coaches starting practices too early, recruiting players, and coaching their own in AAU, do these things happen?

Coach Maddux coached an AAU team that Hunter and Z played for before he was hired at CPA, and as far as I know there is nothing wrong with that. CPA has had a few transfers that play basketball, but there was no recruiting or contact with them before they came. Most of the transfers came to CPA for reasons other than basketball. They have not broken any rules by starting practices too early, I know that for a fact. Coach Maddux would never knowingly violate a TSSAA rule, and if you have any knowledge of a violation, I would encourage anyone to contact the TSSAA.

Just wondering.... is anyone as surprised as I am that CPA did not get one single player on the Region All Tournament team? They made it to the semis and got beaten by a very, very good Marshall County team. I'm not a CPA fan, but this really surprises me. No disrespect intendend to reps from other schools but after the MC and DL guys, I would have thought at least one slot would have gone to a CPA player. If I had a vote (which I don't) it would have gone to the Anderson kid. He played his heart out the whole game.

Just a thought. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Just wondering.... is anyone as surprised as I am that CPA did not get one single player on the Region All Tournament team? They made it to the semis and got beaten by a very, very good Marshall County team. I'm not a CPA fan, but this really surprises me. No disrespect intendend to reps from other schools but after the MC and DL guys, I would have thought at least one slot would have gone to a CPA player. If I had a vote (which I don't) it would have gone to the Anderson kid. He played his heart out the whole game.

Just a thought. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Is this #23? If so, I watched him play against Giles County, very impressive, no doubt the leader on CPA. Take him off that team and it could get ugly.

I couldn't agree more. CPA almost came back and David Anderson was one of the main reasons.

Five years ago CPA was beat on a tip in in the state semis. Four years ago they lost in the sectional game and graduated 8 seniors. Three years ago they were basically all Freshman and were multiplied which moved them up to double A (not exactly a recipe for success). They fired their coach (Brooks) who did good job and hired Maddux. Two years ago Z Mason transferred back to CPA from Davidson where he did not play but attended after he was put out of CPA. They had a really good year. One year ago they lost in the state tournament to a good Dyer Co. team on what can only be called an embarrassment to officiating and the state tournament. They graduated a couple of starters that were role players, but good role players. This year they played a lot of close games not always at full strength and survived for most of the year until they ran into a hot shhooting team. They never really developed new role players to fill in like the last guys. Did they under achieve? In their eyes, I would believe so. In a vast majority of the state that would kill to be in the region semis? No way!

Here's something to think about. Ty Willingham and Charlie Weiss will be debated on how much different their success was at Notre Dame. Couldn't there be the same debate at CPA over Maddux and Brooks' success?

Not really fair to compare Maddux and Brooks. One was a great player, coach and a natural born leader. The other was a great player and coach but not much of a motivator/leader. These days the kids must "want" to play for you. Clearly the success of Maddux cannot be quanitfied by wins or losses but rather in personal impact on players lives. This is what endures the test of time.

I believe onlythefacts agrees with me. Maddux has always underachieved.

I think Maddux has the monkey on his back like it or not until he brings one home at some point. Whether that is fair or not is not for me to decide but scrutiny is something that comes with the territory when you are a high profile coach.