ETERNAL FLAME ? ? ?

Canesoverhere

I thought you guys retired?

I'll start by telling you what I know without telling you what I know. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

This past weekend while wearing the stripes, I noticed that Warren County, Livingston, and Clarksville Area had started some ladies club teams in their area (U-14 thru u-16) While you could tell that these were not D-1 teams, mostly young ladies having fun and honing their skills..It was nice to see soccer growing their area. With WC moving out of the death district of Siegel, Riverdale and Blackman, WC might be my dark house next year to make some noise in their district and maybe Region.

I hate to disagree with you on Warren Co., but I don't see them as a dark horse. That team had a ton of holes last year and while I agree club ball will make them better, I still see them as being no better than third in their district.

Cookeville has also made some strides with their club programs from what I've heard. They should be the one that will benefit the most from being moved away from the Murfreesboro schools. They have held their own in the old district in the past and match up better with the other teams in the new district and region.

I hate to disagree with you on Warren Co., but I don't see them as a dark horse. That team had a ton of holes last year and while I agree club ball will make them better, I still see them as being no better than third in their district.

Cookeville has also made some strides with their club programs from what I've heard. They should be the one that will benefit the most from being moved away from the Murfreesboro schools. They have held their own in the old district in the past and match up better with the other teams in the new district and region.

Now I will not disagree with that, we played Cookeville last year and I thought they were well coached, very aggressive and fast and Oh did I say fast and aggressive /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . But were not as skilled as the Boro teams. My opinion anyway.

But I see it this way, In their old District there was no way for WC to have come anywhere close to coming in 3rd, and you have them possibility coming in 3rd in their new district. Sounds like dark horse to me. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Where and what club teams or associations do the girls from Cookeville play with?

Sportsfan, I have their new district as:

Coffee Co., Cookeville, Cumberland Co., Warren Co., and White Co....is this correct?

Now I will not disagree with that, we played Cookeville last year and I thought they were well coached, very aggressive and fast and Oh did I say fast and aggressive /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . But were not as skilled as the Boro teams. My opinion anyway.

But I see it this way, In their old District there was no way for WC to have come anywhere close to coming in 3rd, and you have them possibility coming in 3rd in their new district. Sounds like dark horse to me. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Where and what club teams or associations do the girls from Cookeville play with?

Sportsfan, I have their new district as:

Coffee Co., Cookeville, Cumberland Co., Warren Co., and White Co....is this correct?

Will this be nicknamed the "C" district?

Maybe we can call it the "CW".... I'm actually looking forward to the all Rutherford COunty district next year. The four Murfreesboro schools, plus Smyrna and LaVergne. The district should be a bit tougher.

Plus no more bus rides to Cookeville, Sparta and McMinnville. Those are getting tougher as I get older.

Maybe look for Blackman or Smyrna to pull an upset in the district tounament an sneak through. Siegel and Riverdale lost some key players, but both should still be reasonably strong.

Whose flame just got blown out with this graduating class and whose will shine brighter in 2009?

Ok, I'll bite. But I can only address AAA but remember my 1st place score in the AAA pickem contest last season. I picked Brentwood and Siegel to be in the final early in the regular season. Now that I have finish bragging here are my thoughts for the 8 teams who will make it back to Chattanooga in 09.

From the west both Houston and Collierville. They have good programs and no competition in region and sectional to surprise them like Bearden experienced last year.

From mid tn Brentwood, Franklin, Riverdale, Siegel. Brentwood maintains a strong core of players as well as Franklin. Riverdale looses 2 or 3 starting seniors but should still make it through regionals to the sectional. Siegel graduates 5 good seniors but several underclassmen stepped up in the playoffs and I don't see anyone in the region or sectional that they couldn't beat. Soddy Daisy I'm sure will be competitive and they could knock out Siegel or Riverdale depending on who they play in sectional.

I'm less sure of my picks in the East because I haven't see them play as much but I think it will be Dobyns Bennett and Bearden. Someone may be better informed regarding the west and I'd like to hear their thoughts.

Ok, I'll bite. But I can only address AAA but remember my 1st place score in the AAA pickem contest last season. I picked Brentwood and Siegel to be in the final early in the regular season. Now that I have finish bragging here are my thoughts for the 8 teams who will make it back to Chattanooga in 09.

From the west both Houston and Collierville. They have good programs and no competition in region and sectional to surprise them like Bearden experienced last year.

From mid tn Brentwood, Franklin, Riverdale, Siegel. Brentwood maintains a strong core of players as well as Franklin. Riverdale looses 2 or 3 starting seniors but should still make it through regionals to the sectional. Siegel graduates 5 good seniors but several underclassmen stepped up in the playoffs and I don't see anyone in the region or sectional that they couldn't beat. Soddy Daisy I'm sure will be competitive and they could knock out Siegel or Riverdale depending on who they play in sectional.

I'm less sure of my picks in the East because I haven't see them play as much but I think it will be Dobyns Bennett and Bearden. Someone may be better informed regarding the west and I'd like to hear their thoughts.

I'll agree with your post, but don't discount Cleveland they still have a lot of returning players. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Hey Sportsfan with your new district what's the longest district road trip. 10 miles? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Hey Sportsfan with your new district what's the longest district road trip. 10 miles? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Something like that. In high school I had to go from Columbia to Franklin Co. In college the trips from Cookeville to Charleston IL., and Cape Girardeau, MO were just plain awful. After several years in the current district 7, I'm looking forward to those shorter district trips. I think our longest is going to be to Smyrna.

• 2 weeks later...

Warren County has a very strong incoming freshman class--I'd wager it to be the best they will have ever had. Alan Brownyard has done an excellent job with a group of middle schoolers over the past several years, and if they get the year-round exposure to soccer that is provided by competitive travel teams, they will be a force by the time they are juniors and seniors...or perhaps even sooner.

As for Cookeville, the club here is Upper Cumberland United Soccer Club. For awhile, the girls' side of the program was almost completely dormant, and girls from Cookeville would have to travel to Nashville or Knoxville for competitive travel soccer. There are still three girls playing in Knoxville (Kelsey Roberson for FC Alliance and Abby & Janna Yother for Blount County United). However, the UCUSC, in large part due to the galvanizing efforts of Lauren Neal, has refocused its efforts and has, if I'm not mistaken, D2 teams in u-16 and u-14. Lauren has recruited players from all over the Upper Cumberland, something that hasn't really been done save for the UCUSC Chippewas '89 boys squad a couple of years ago who won D2 state. I think the younger Nigro girls are on these squads, and I know that Tony Nigro helps Lauren out some. It's really good that this effort is being made not only for Cookeville, but for the entire Upper Cumberland soccer community, as all the schools who send their players to the club will benefit. With the talent that exists in the area, it's not inconceivable that UCUSC could field a competitive D1 team someday.

I can also say that Cookeville will not miss the 2-5 trips per season to Murfreesboro. Not one bit.