I'm finished with this debate until NOV/DEC!

ELA

Posted by just1np:

VG, you immediately turned your rebuttal concerning education towards student misbehavior. THAT is something I have conceded several times and quite clearly in my last post. Slowly reread if necessary. I'll give you a hint:

*McGavock*

I never said that students aren't sent to private schools for education or even quality education. I said that public schools, in some areas, do very well. So well that sending them to the closest private school does not make sense to me.

VG, you also said I made "several" mistakes concerning private schools. I said nothing about private schools that I can tell was incorrect. They are mostly located in Metro or larger city environments and the roster numbers I gave came from a reliable source that you also have access to. So, since you did'n't bother to point it out the first time, I'll ask what incorrect statements I made. And was it towards an individual school or generally?

I won't touch the drug issue, it doesn't apply directly to this debate.

I think a private school is the better situation for those who live in Nashville, Memphis, or even Jackson. The situation is not great in the public schools in that area.

But private schools play against team that are in 1A and 2A for a reason. THEY ARE TOWNS IN THE STICKS! People up there don't have an option! If my choice is McGavock or Ezell-Harding, I'm chosing EHCS! But if my choice is Celina versus....what? I can't even think of the next town. Or school for that matter!

Just1np..first of all student behavior is directly related to education. If you have disruptive students in a classroom, then that directly effects other kids trying to learn.

Secondly..everything you posted concerning BA has totally nothing to do with this debate. They might as well be in Montana. We are discussing Div. I private schools.

I don`t think you can travel 10 miles in any direction from a Metro Nashville private school and find millions of people.

Comparing Westmorelands roster numbers to other school`s numbers is totally bogus.Westmoreland is in 2AA. They are grouped with other schools of similar size. There is absolutely nothing that you can hang on a private school that causes Westmoreland to have only 38 kids. That is Westmorelands problem. Milan is a 2A school and they have 50 on their roster. Trenton Peabody is 2A and they have 66. You sir are making excuses for Westmoreland and trying to place the blame on private schools. That in my book is whining.

then you want to talk about how Westmoreland only has around 8,000 people. Well let`s look at this. Memphis has several hundred thousand and kids can move from school zone to school zone. I don`t hear you complaining about this. Only private schools are what you are complaining about, That sounds bigoted to me.

Your HOTEL thing really got me laughing. Why is there not a nice hotel in Celina? I`ll tell you why. Celina is not big enough to suppot a nice hotel. It would go broke. Now for the fun of it let`s equate this to private schools. Why are there not private schools in rural settings? The fact is that they could not survive in a rural setting. Now what can we deduce from this. It takes a larger concentration of people for a private school to exist. It would be Very rare for them to stay open in a rural setting. So while westmoreland can get students from a population of 8,000, it takes a larger number of people in an area to keep a private school going. You can`t compare 8,000 to 60,000. They aren`t the same. While westmoreland only requires 8,000, a private school would require more to makeit comparable.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by just1np:

VG, you immediately turned your rebuttal concerning education towards student misbehavior. THAT is something I have conceded several times and quite clearly in my last post. Slowly reread if necessary. I'll give you a hint:

*McGavock*

I never said that students aren't sent to private schools for education or even quality education. I said that public schools, in some areas, do very well. So well that sending them to the closest private school does not make sense to me.

VG, you also said I made "several" mistakes concerning private schools. I said nothing about private schools that I can tell was incorrect. They are mostly located in Metro or larger city environments and the roster numbers I gave came from a reliable source that you also have access to. So, since you did'n't bother to point it out the first time, I'll ask what incorrect statements I made. And was it towards an individual school or generally?

I won't touch the drug issue, it doesn't apply directly to this debate.

I think a private school is the better situation for those who live in Nashville, Memphis, or even Jackson. The situation is not great in the public schools in that area.

But private schools play against team that are in 1A and 2A for a reason. THEY ARE TOWNS IN THE STICKS! People up there don't have an option! If my choice is McGavock or Ezell-Harding, I'm chosing EHCS! But if my choice is Celina versus....what? I can't even think of the next town. Or school for that matter!

Just1np..first of all student behavior is directly related to education. If you have disruptive students in a classroom, then that directly effects other kids trying to learn.

Secondly..everything you posted concerning BA has totally nothing to do with this debate. They might as well be in Montana. We are discussing Div. I private schools.

I don`t think you can travel 10 miles in any direction from a Metro Nashville private school and find millions of people.

Comparing Westmorelands roster numbers to other school`s numbers is totally bogus.Westmoreland is in 2AA. They are grouped with other schools of similar size. There is absolutely nothing that you can hang on a private school that causes Westmoreland to have only 38 kids. That is Westmorelands problem. Milan is a 2A school and they have 50 on their roster. Trenton Peabody is 2A and they have 66. You sir are making excuses for Westmoreland and trying to place the blame on private schools. That in my book is whining.

then you want to talk about how Westmoreland only has around 8,000 people. Well let`s look at this. Memphis has several hundred thousand and kids can move from school zone to school zone. I don`t hear you complaining about this. Only private schools are what you are complaining about, That sounds bigoted to me.

Your HOTEL thing really got me laughing. Why is there not a nice hotel in Celina? I`ll tell you why. Celina is not big enough to suppot a nice hotel. It would go broke. Now for the fun of it let`s equate this to private schools. Why are there not private schools in rural settings? The fact is that they could not survive in a rural setting. Now what can we deduce from this. It takes a larger concentration of people for a private school to exist. It would be Very rare for them to stay open in a rural setting. So while westmoreland can get students from a population of 8,000, it takes a larger number of people in an area to keep a private school going. You can`t compare 8,000 to 60,000. They aren`t the same. While westmoreland only requires 8,000, a private school would require more to makeit comparable.

ill hav you now we got some dale hollow dam good hotels in celina. we got the valley view motel and they only charge 5 dollars an hour. weve got the dirt dobber motel near the new school next to jacks an the cabins up on the lake.

VG

No disrespect intended, I don't have a dog in this race. My A public school doesn't play any privates. But... unless I read the posts incorrectly, you both are making the same point about the area required to keep up a private school. It seems as if you both are trying to prove your point by using the same information. And I didn't see any whining in the post, only reasoned opinion. Let's all examine our motives here, and see if we can reason together respectfully. Whatcha think?

Posted by ie3:

VG

No disrespect intended, I don't have a dog in this race. My A public school doesn't play any privates. But... unless I read the posts incorrectly, you both are making the same point about the area required to keep up a private school. It seems as if you both are trying to prove your point by using the same information. And I didn't see any whining in the post, only reasoned opinion. Let's all examine our motives here, and see if we can reason together respectfully. Whatcha think?

My point is that the same area (or population) that is required for a rural public school requires more for a private school. You can`t take a rural county 1A school didtrict and get a private school. So therefore, the fact that a private school can get kids from a larger area is not an advantage.

On the other hand, the people who want to whine about private schools and think that this does give them an advantage are not saying a word about Memphis schools who can get students froma very large area.

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by ie3:

VG

My point is that the same area (or population) that is required for a rural public school requires more for a private school. You can`t take a rural county 1A school didtrict and get a private school. So therefore, the fact that a private school can get kids from a larger area is not an advantage.

On the other hand, the people who want to whine about private schools and think that this does give them an advantage are not saying a word about Memphis schools who can get students froma very large area.

Memphis Area schools are not playing small rural public schools, they are playing in CLASS AAA and above for the most part; therefore, your point is mute. What all public coaches have been trying to tell you is that most private schools should be playing up because of their advantage to that level (2A or 3A level), then it wouldn't matter so much!

ie3, you are always good for trying to bring reason and sanity into this debate and I appreciate that. But VG and I are, apparently, very competitive and try our darndest(word?) to come out on top. We don't lack any respect for one another, just a friendly battle of thoughts/opinions.

Now, VG, you saw exactly what I was saying concerning Hotels. Small places can't support them. Just like small communities can't support private schools, ok?

You also refered to my population point. "Millions" is a word you used, not me. In my post I said that in a ten mile radius from a private school you would find more people than most of their 1A/2A public school counterparts. Westmoreland was the example I used, so that was about 8,000 folks. Now, this is a conjecture, so I'm sure I wouldn't bat 1.000 on this one, but I'll stick to it. Are saying that finding 9,000 people in a ten mile radius of a Metro area is not likely? Last I checked Nashille had a population in the multi-millions.

Posted by just1np:

ie3, you are always good for trying to bring reason and sanity into this debate and I appreciate that. But VG and I are, apparently, very competitive and try our darndest(word?) to come out on top. We don't lack any respect for one another, just a friendly battle of thoughts/opinions.

Now, VG, you saw exactly what I was saying concerning Hotels. Small places can't support them. Just like small communities can't support private schools, ok?

You also refered to my population point. "Millions" is a word you used, not me. In my post I said that in a ten mile radius from a private school you would find more people than most of their 1A/2A public school counterparts. Westmoreland was the example I used, so that was about 8,000 folks. Now, this is a conjecture, so I'm sure I wouldn't bat 1.000 on this one, but I'll stick to it. Are saying that finding 9,000 people in a ten mile radius of a Metro area is not likely? Last I checked Nashille had a population in the multi-millions.

Millions is a word that you used. Go back and read your post. The way I read it was that you were insinuating that there were millions in that ten mile radius.

Posted by just1np:

). I am very confident that most every private school can top that number in a ten mile radius( their talent pool).

Where in the context of that phrase is the word "millions"?

Just1np...You are inferring that Nashville has millions of people. Plus you are saying that they are within a ten mile radius of private schools. Go back and read your post. If I am wrong, i wish someone would explain it to me. That is how I understood his post. Here is a link from the census that says Davidson county has around 570,000 people.

http://eire.census.gov/popest/data/countie...T2001-06-47.php

I hate you are going to quit posting on here. But you asked me to tell you which points you made in your post that were wrong.

Thanks VG