Franklin High School Baseball

Burroboy411

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen what they have this year - and so far I'm not impressed. This team actually has talent on both the JV and Varsity level. Not sure the coaching staff can pull the best out of these kids though - coaches seem a bit inexperienced and the team doesn't appear to be as disciplined as they were in the past.

i went down to the warrior classic to watch Harriman and they played them and Harriman probably should've won but Franklin has good pitching.

How is that? Franklin dominated from the first pitch. Harriman jumped out to a 1-0 lead and it was nothing but Rebels the rest of the way. They were overpowered by the Rebel pithching and had a lot of trouble with the Rebels team speed.

I think some fans expectations are too high this year. I have sat in the outfield for almost every game the last 2 years and here is my take on what is going on.

1. Last Year's Team is gone. People have expectations for this version of Rebels baseball to look like last years. Well they are wrong, when you lose the 8 seniors they lost last year you are going to have a drop off. You have 4 of those 8 playing baseball at the next or professional level. This is the first time in almost a decade the Rebels have not had a high major division 1 recruit.

2. This year's team returned 1 everyday starter. That means 8 new players had to step in in which only 3 had extensive varsity experience. It takes some time to let the game slow down so you can be successful. You are going to take some growing pains when that happens.

3. What's wrong with the coaching staff? I haven't heard any of the players complain about them. Seems to me when you have 3 out of the 4 coaches that have played college ball, with 2 out of the 4 playing professionally they might know what they are talking about. I think anytime you have a coaching transition, it will be a rough road. I think the Rebels are buying into the new philosophy that the coaches have instilled. Of course it is not as fun for us in the outfield cause we can't go retrieving homerun balls anymore. Just give them time.

4. Their record should be better than their 6-6 mark. I have seen them blow a 3 run 7 inning lead against a 9-1 Columbia team. I saw them leave 16 runners on base against LaVergne. They had a lead against BGA and lost it late in the game. So they win those game they sit at 9-3 and I don't think the critics would be out. But any true fan of the Rebels knows this team is getting better because they are getting great pitching, great defense, and the hitting will come. Can't wait to get back in the outfield this week for a couple of big district games.

Talented team - but how good they are remains to be seen. They are really struggling and don't seem to be playing their talent to make the most of what they've got. Time will tell.........

Franklin will probably get two wins this week against Hillsboro. I've heard Hillsboro players just got handed pictures from their coaches illustrating that first base comes before 2nd base. The good news for Hillsboro is that after studying the pictures, 5 out the 15 players were actually able to demonstrate this on the field. The burros might score a couple of runs with the help of walks and errors by Franklin. Indepenence on the other hand will probably give the Rebels two more losses this week. Too bad Franklin can't schedule more games against the Eagleville's and Harrimans of the world (a few more games against Hillwood couldn't hurt either). If the Franklin coaching staff really wanted to compete this year, they should have cancelled the regular season and stuck with scrimmages against their own JV team (No disrespect to the JV players.. they would probably finish with a winning record).